How can I get over Stage Fright?

I was encouraged to audition for American Idol this fall and I think I'm going to do it. (By the way, I'm NOT bragging when I say this) People tell me I have an incredible voice and they think I could go really far with it but I just have one problem. I've suffered from anxiety since I was a little kid and I've had to take medication for it before. However, my band and I have gigs every other night and I feel completely comfortable on stage. Then again, that's only 100 people or so.. American Idol is a whole other ball game. It would mean everything to me to sing on Idol, I just wish I could get over my stage fright. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think you can get rid of it, but you can work in harmony with it like i did in grade school "we had to public speak in class every week back then" my 1st week in there I volunteered now my heart was racing but i knew at the end of the day that "YOU CAN TAKE MY OXYGEN I won't CHOKE" and "it had to be done" so unlike the other gagers I'm not going to give you the cliche "get on stage/practice makes perfect" nope imma say this "GET UP THERE AND DO WHAT YOU DO BEST" which is sing. trust me once you get in the groove or should I say calm your nerves you're going to think "WHAT THE HELL I WAS SO AFRAID" ^^ then gradually you'll get the feeling for it I'm sure

What Guys Said 4

• if you can play in small settings - You can play on larger settings - Key is to convince yourself they are the same.

• have a mind set that you want to entertain people and your going up there to have fun.

That's what i do.

• My number one recommendation would be to use post hypnotic suggestions. You can get books on self-hypnosis and it is quite effective.

George du Maurier sensationalized the idea of using hypnosis to overcome stage fright in his novel "Trilby." Nonetheless, it really does work.

Some people use Inderal for performance anxiety, though I do not recommend it. It is a powerful beta blocker with side-effects. Learn to deal with your confidence problem naturally.

• Xanex can help. Other than that experience will help more

What Girls Said 0