Would you go to North Korea if the trip were 100% free?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would love to go. I've lived and studied in South Korea and took a class on North Korean society and politics. I've also read a lot of books about it. It's the country that really fascinates me. I had the possibility to go there for a few days but couldn't afford it. It would have cost me around 3,500-4,000 bucks and that was simply too much money for me. Plus, I wanted to go together with my girlfriend but she is not allowed to enter North Korea because she is South Korean (ironically, Americans are allowed to enter). I don't think I want to go there on my own. I find the country very interesting but it would still creep me out too much. However, my best friend is willing to go with me when we have more money, so we're sort of saving for that. He is a big guy, 6'2'', 230 pounds, big beard, strong... of course that won't prevent us from getting into trouble but at least I would feel safer than on my own ;-). And another good reason to go a little later is that I am currently learning Korean (for my girlfriend of course) and it would be cool to go there and actually understand what the guides are talking about among each other.

• Why did you live in SK?

• I was doing a study-abroad exchange year there. But I also went there because my girlfriend grew up in South Korea and still lived there at that time. We got to know each other in my home country Switzerland but she then had to go home again. She couldn't just move to Switzerland because she was in the middle of her BA studies (as was I). So we first had a long-term relationship where we never got to meet for a whole year (just Skype and email). It worked very well but it was emotionally very demanding nonetheless. I had always wanted to do an exchange year in Sweden during my BA studies. So, since I wanted to live in another country anyways, learn a new language and get to know a different culture, and since I didn't want to be apart from my girlfriend anymore, I simply applied at my University to get to do an exchange year in South Korea and out of around 10 people, they ended up choosing me :-)

What Girls Said 4

• Fuck that, I don't want to risk being executed.

• No thankyou. I'd rather not.

• Hell yeah!!! I'll even pay to go! That's actually a destination on my bucket list

• HELLLLLL NO

What Guys Said 10

• hell yea I would, I know two people who have gone and it's pretty crazy to hear what they saw. Also, I was born in an extremely supressive communist country so it'll be nice to see what things where somewhat like since it's the type of environment that my parents grew up in.

• What country is that?

• UQ university St lucia campus... google the campus it's gorgeous and the pics don't really do it justice. I've never been to a more beautiful campus.

• I think Queensland may have accepted me, but it may have been as part of a Study Abroad thing.

I know Macquarie accepted me as a regular student, but yeah, this was back in 2010. Tick tock...

• Lol, I would go,

Loving all the American users thinking they would just Get immediate execution and shit. y'all watch too much US news channels xD.

Yes, North Korea is a fucking shit show, but, They dont just fucking instantly execute tourists ya know? Thats how wars are started xD

• They will torture and then more than likely execute anyone who breaks any of their laws. And almost everything is illegal there. If you say ANYTHING that could even be taken as negative towards their leader, you're fucking done.

• I would also like to go and visit North Korea but to be fair, I have to tell you that you will not see anything that goes in the direction of "experiencing what life there is like for the (indigenous?) population". I've lived and studied in Seoul and took a class on North Korean society and politics. I've learned a lot but to but it very shortly, North Korea is the world expert for pretending stuff. The truth is: they won't show you anything authentic. They will drive you around in government busses and you are not allowed to go anywhere on your own. You are under constant supervision, 24 hours a day. I had a buddy in my class in Seoul who went on a trip to North Korea and guess what he found in his hotel room? Wiretaps. These guys were spying on what he was talking in his room with other people (probably didn't understand too much because he was Dutch. But it's still creepy). They also do stuff like drive you by fake supermarket with very real looking but fake fruits in the windows.

• Like in the interview :P

• Sure! Why not?
    Oh, those horror stories! They must be true!
    They couldn't possibly be trying the tired old WMD bit again!
    Could they?
    They can't pull the same stunt twice.
    Can they?
    Who'd believe them?
    Think! What do I know?
    - Truth is the first casualty.
    - Primary sources are the most reliable.
    - As long as a tactic works, they'll keep using it.

Yup, I'm going!

• No I don't think so.

• No, I wouldn't.

• Only if the purpose of my trip was to overthrow their government and kill Kim Jong-un.

• Um, no. I don't want to be imprisoned on some b. s spying charge. Also what is there to see or do in North Korea at this point Labor camps?

• No I wouldn't.

• No way I'm not trying to die..

• I dont want my hair cut like its ruler's.. :((((