Do you agree that black cops should monitor black neighborhoods?

This is a topic that my family's been debating on. They feel black cops stick in black neighborhoods and whites in white, but I feel that usually black police officers are sometimes more tougher on other black people so it wouldn't necessarily make a difference.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I don't think black cops should monitor black neighborhoods.

When you said "but I feel that usually black police officers are sometimes more tougher on other black people so it wouldn't necessarily make a difference", that is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Studies have shown that Blacks are just as harsh on each other than any other race. So, this wouldn't make a difference in the slightest.

Besides, the last thing we need to do is bring back a form of segregation. If we have Black cops solely in the "Black neighborhoods", that's the 1950's all over again.

Police brutality is a big issue in the United States. I won't deny that. I also think the police forced is biased against racial minorities. However, this is not the solution to this problem.

What Guys Said 14

• No. This solution is essentially giving up, saying that police can't be held to the kind of standards that they should be.

I think we should make police far more accountable. Make them all wear Gopro while on the job. Crack down hard on bad cops. Don't give in to the idea that we can't fix this, basically.

• This would be a reversal back to a Plessy v. Ferguson thought process. Let's take it a step further. Does your family also think that schools should have a similar process of distribution? In other words, should school systems in predominantly black areas only be taught by black teachers, doctors in the area only be black, etc?

Point being, I am nearly positive that the immensely vast majority would, in a heartbeat, go for what your parents suggest but if that happens the logical next step would be a devolution back to a state of Plessy where there is a separate but equal setting. Is that what they want? Hypothetically, of course and I say it because these things rarely stop with one thing and given the jury decisions of late it is plainly obvious who the peers feel is at fault and who isn't in most cases.

• I'll say this though. If I was a cop I sure as hell wouldn't want to be anywhere near those neighborhoods. A cop can't even burp without being accused of something and it nearly always comes from that community. I think the biggest issue is cops applying for jobs in those areas from this point forward. Nobody in their right mind would and especially wouldn't if they planned to raise a family there too.

• Nope a cop is a cop regardless of race or color and I can kind of see your point though, black cops don't have to worry about political and national black lash if they are actually doing their job agaisnt their own race were as white cops god forbid they stop a black criminal or all hell breaks lose.

• No, the government shouldn't be racist. If people want to be (non-violently) racist in their own lives, that's up to them. But, the government should be rational.

• Normally I wouldn't favour this but in current climate might be a good idea

• Lol I thought you said black ops for a moment but I agree with you because they would feel more comfortable with cops of the same race since they probably have similarities in growing up and many things that can make them closer

• No, black cops abuse power too. It's as much a cop thing as a race thing. Cops have their own culture. It's also a class and money thing.

• That just seems too close to segregation to me.
    Just seems like exactly what america wants, and that's never a good thing.

• What about areas that have blacks, whites, Asians etc mixed together then who would police those areas

• I don't really care, but I don't liver in a black neighborhood. It would likely just erode cultural responsibility even future and sink the minority populous even lower for generations to come.

• I mean it wouldn't change anything, but anything to stop people whining about hurr durr racism.

• so did your parents offer reason for why they think this way?

• family*

• They felt since the police would be black too then it'd be less racial based shootings. Which doesn't make sense since most aren't even racial based.

Like, there was a case where a black teenage guy was trying shoot some other guy and the police told him to drop the weapon and he shot again so the police killed him and people are calling out racism.. ._.

• Wooo is all of your family in yhe kkk. Was this not already tried in the usa in up until the 70s?

• Almost all areas are to some extent mixed. Police will need to be able to deal with all groups fairly.

That said a situation like ferguson where the overall police force doesn't remotely reflect the people being policed is asking for misunderstanding.

What Girls Said 11

• As horrible and sucky as racial violence is now, I think it would only get worse if racial groups were assigned to only work with their race. It would be like state sanctioned segregation. That's going backwards. If there's a problem with the way a department and/or individuals are treating people of color, the problem is with them. They need to make personal and professional changes within themselves. Racism is never acceptable. We need to break these barriers so we can help one another instead of what we're doing now.

• I understand why you think that but that makes the race issue worse. It would be bringing in segregation again and assuming all white cops are racist. We'd be going backwards, not forwards. I also don't think the cops would like to be sent to certain places based entirely on their skin colour.

• Perhaps you would like separate seats on the bus too, or separate schools even?

Is our social-collective memory that short that you don't know who Rosa Parks is? That you can't see where this road leads?

www.poynter.org/.../kkktoddrobertsonphoto.jpg

• It's more than just black cops patrolling black neighborhoods. There are crooked black cops who have internalized racism against their own people.

What matters is the people who live in the neighborhood should be the ones who become police officers for their own community. The show "Lincoln Heights" is a lovely example of this.

• no, that's ridiculous. a cop is a cop. colour isn't gonna change that.

• I don't think we should ever segregate. The fact that we have "black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods" shows that we need more unity not less.

• As a person whose lived in "black neighborhoods" that's not the best idea. The problem wasn't that they were white cops. Obviously that did create slight tension. But 90% of the problem was that they were cops.

• So segregate the police force? That's stupid. Any cop should police any neighborhood.

• I don't think it should matter... Just let the fuzz do their thang. xD

• This fellow would certainly approve of it, if he were still alive.
    http://cdn-6.historyguy.com/Hitler.jpg

• Yeah that explains why black people keep getting shot by white cops.