Is having morals disadvantageous?

Take the question as you will.

• Yes, because...
  • No, and here is why...
Also, do you think having morals is worth it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Morals can be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on how you look at it.

For example, someone who doesn't care whether or not they hurt someone or screw them over may do very well in terms of their occupation, etc. Like, you might steal your coworkers clients, or be dishonest or manipulative towards your clients in order to get them to make a purchase or investment, even if it's against their best interest. The result might be that you get promotions, work your way up in the company, and make lots of money. Someone who is morally against doing those things might not be as successful.

On the other hand, being a moral/good person might mean that more people like you, they see you as trustworthy and dependable, etc. Thus, you may have lots of friends and people who care for you, people who will support you. Because people like and trust you, more opportunities may come your way. People who don't care who they may hurt or betray will lose friends and support.

It's important to note, too, that morals are subjective in the sense that different people have different beliefs about what's moral and immoral. Believing something to be immoral when it doesn't actually cause any harm may mean that you miss out on things in life that you wouldn't otherwise. Believing something is moral when in reality it harms other people could mean that you're harming other people for no good reason.

What Guys Said 14

• Everyone has a moral code. That is inescapable, even if your moral code is simply "I do what I feel like doing".

Having the right moral code is advantageous. Having a wrong moral code is disadvantageous.

• Yes, it prevents you from making calm and logical decision. You always spend too much on doing the right thing "right now" without looking at the big picture or to the future. You'd either do more harm than good or just not doing anything. Once you have caused enough damage that you can never repair, you would say "but my intention was good!".

There is a reason why "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". People don't always think carefully and logically before they act. They don't stop to consider all the possibilities and consequences and acknowledge each and every single damage they will cause.

If you want to be a good person do this first "DO NO HARM". That's what doctors always have to learn and they will always tell you it's the hardest thing to do. Many of them failed at it and regret for the rest their lives while others succeed but never liked it.

I have a much easier code. I'd avoid harming others when I can but I will always, ALWAYS pick myself 1st. At least I know that whatever happen after my decision, it will be my choice and my responsibility.

• Not at all I see it as one of my greatest strengths and the only time I would ever consider compromising those morals and values is only when it is absolutely necessary.

• Depends on the morals, but normally they keep you from doing behaviors that will make others dislike you, thus helping you with survival in a social setting.

• I know, I think it keeps you in a good place

• Morals equal value and show a structured life. A person with morals has a more sucessful life.

• Yes, if they weren't then people wouldn't have any problem holding onto them. Doing the right thing is never easy that's why people are so respected when they actually do the right thing.

• If you want to deal with the truth, then it is advantageous.
    If you want to deal with the world, then it is disadvantageous.

• Yes it is disadvantageous in today's immoral world.

Its too difficult to sirvive and prosper with high moral values and it's rare these days.
    That's my personal experience...

• depends on the person and their perspective in life

• People with strong morals at least stand for something. But it can lead to close-mindedness which is not good. I think it's good to have morals, but not letting yourself be overly dictated by them. New perspectives can break through what you thought was right in quite interesting ways.

• Virtue is its own reward.

• No just look at startrek Voyager. The golden rule is always a good thing to live by you never know when your going to need help

• Having morals good for society.

What Girls Said 4

• wow, not at all. morals place boundaries. if people believe that boundaries are disadvantageous then they essentially believe that eventual self destruction... is ok.

• We need people with morals otherwise the societal world would cave in. It can be disadvantageous around people with no morals; you may appear weaker and your morals won't be enough to deter them from treating you badly but all in all, morals are a good thing and everyone should have them!

• Not at all. It shows that you have standards and care about something. I would hate to be with a guy who had no morals.

• Depends on if you're strict or lax. Not having any or having less strict ones seems more fun though.