Is it easy to block or deviate an upcoming punch?

Have anyone ever done this, whether by knowing it or not knowing anything but still did it?

I have done this once against a heavy and bigger nearly 17 year-old girl (I was 12/13 and not done growing). She tried to throw a hard punch in my eyes and I held my arm and deviate it, causing it to land on my shoulder and reduce its impact.

And yes, that was the only single time I've ever verbally instigated a fight (I didn't care and already had been dealing with most against me, insulting me every single day) but still stopped her. LOL

She felt cheated out of it and was muttering for weeks. But it just came out in that moment either by accident or instinctly.

Technically I did told the girl to come and fight me (the same girl that called me ugly a while back and heard her talking smack about me to someone else... that was basically my boiling point back then). i stuck two middle fingers and that's when she went trying to punch me and well I defended myself without knowing anything about blocking and deviating upcoming punches.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, you can watch how someone's arms move and prepare for a block. I've taken 2 different martial arts. If you ever get in a fight and want to be able to defend yourself and go on the offense I'd definitely recommend it :D.

What Guys Said 8

• I think it is natural reaction

• True. I saw it coming, which means she was predictable so I wasn't just going to stand there and do nothing. It makes sense that I would move a bit and held my arm.

• i'd simply duck if in case

• The general public doesn't know how to properly throw a punch. If your adrenaline is pumping, your focus heightens and you can see the sloppy punch coming a mile away, thus being able to block or deviate it.

Now, I mention adrenaline because you said you verbally instigated it.

• True. She sucked. This was the girl that once told me I looked like Anne Frank and then added ''she was ugly''. She also sucks in throwing insults too. If you're going to tell someone ugly at least mention a character that's truly ugly like Quasimodo, not a girl that was indeed cute in her time.

• Then again she was nearly 17 and still in 8th grade lol.

• Well, 'Them's fightin' words' cuz Anne Frank ain't ugly. Most times I'll get hot under the collar when people insult certain historical figures that I liked studying more than them insulting me, but that's just me.

17 and in eight grade...

... Wait a second

• It is easy to block if the opponent is predictable and doesn't know how to properly fight... if you're patient and wait for an opening they'll hand that opportunity over

If they do martial arts better know a few basics to keep your ground

• True. Charging towards the opponent (like she did), that's obviously predictable.

• Haha yes, easier to time
      and if you succesfully hit, all the force and speed of their rushing gets returned to them... ah silly humans

• It's easier to just move your head and step into them and throw them using their own momentum...

• Grabs her arm and twists

• Well, one time my brother was aiming for a punch right for my stomach. My hand came right up and stop it dead on impact. He was pretty shocked, since he was close to me and I blocked it easy. Didn't throw a second punch after that.

If I ever get into actual fights, that's mainly my way of fighting. Either dodging, deviating, or blocking attacks, then using the openings created to attack.

• tbh a lot of stuff in self defense doesn't apply to real world scenarios, boxing, krav maga and BJJ might be the only exceptions. I think the best advice to stop you getting hurt is if you think someone means you harm the old boxing adage of "be first all the time" is one to be adhered to.

What Girls Said 1