Do you think atheists have morals lol?

http://www.girlsaskguys.com/social-relationships/a8841-what-atheists-truly-are

"2 - "Atheists Have No Morals!"

This is probably the most embarassing argument a theist can say, and the most insulting personally. The argument basically goes "How do you have morals without God?" and that's it, but the thing is that they're never specifying what God you need morals for but we all know they're talking about the very specific God they follow. This is why this argument is a complete trainwreck because if you're going to proclaim that atheists have no morals because they don't follow (Your) God, you should be saying that to everyone who isn't a part of your specific religion. A personal reason why I think this argument is illogical is because it's basically saying that "You need our specific God to be a good person!" whichis completely pathetic to me in my opinion. If you truly need a God or religion to be a good person instead of being a good person for the complete sake of being a good person then you're like a fake nice guy, only doing it for some form of reward (Not saying every religious person is like this)."

First of all morality is what you should do, not what you want to do, as soon as you say the word "should" you're appealing to an authority that you should do. If that's society, then society's your God, if that's another God, then that's your God. There is no such thing as being moral without a God. There's no such thing as being a good person for the sake of being a good person you're either a complete idiot or you're trying to get praise for being labelled a good person in which case society is your God and you're a specious hypocrite, or both.

Should people like this be able to have opinions lol? Because this kind of stupidity is dangerous in my opinion.

I'm all for peace and progress, but not when stupid people want to call me delusional all the while pushing themselves into the spotlight and trying to gain power under the most idiotic arguments, even if most people are smart enough to see through it.

Done ranting.

Most Helpful Girl

• Only God can give you permanent and perfect morals. The morals you get outside of God are corrupted and imperfect - they are contaminated by your own bias. The only way to get perfect morals is to believe in God. My dad "loves me" by telling me I'm worthless and yelling at me all day long cause he's an atheist and his understanding of love is corrupt.

• ".. God... morals.." Huh?
      www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers+31
      3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’” 1Samuel 15:3
      Clearly a perfect morality.
      www.biblegateway.com/.../
      A few morals more? Here: infidels.org/.../atrocity.html
      How much morality do you want? Do you think those raping pedo priests have morals?
      And do you think those who protected raping pedo priests have morals?

• You won't get much science out of a Bible.

What Girls Said 8

• Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

"Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31: 17-18

Yahweh and his prophet Moses are so moral aren't they? slavery, mass murder, rape, child molestation.

God is a broad concept.

The society is not "God" for a moral person the society is a collection of different minds, thoughts, ideas, opinions, which are gathered together for a greater purpose. and morality is the way of tolerance that people "choose" to follow in favour of all for all to be able to live peacefully together.

Now for real tolerance and real morality there should be space for all different ideas and beings to come together and live together. Morality includes all under its wings and is bared of judgement and is a way to teach people how not to harm one another and how to live together.

and that is while "Christian" morality is based on judgement. Christian morality isn't morality and isn't a way to a moral life which is a tolerant life. it's a way for one group with certain ideas to dominate other groups wiping the other ideas rather than bringing up a way for the two to live beside each other. It's a tyranny of a certain view not morality.

Atheism is the best way for a moral life because it is bared of any absolute views showing up as beliefs.

• I do miss this kind of respond from you :)

• Logically, you're trying to say that you wouldn't even condemn a pedophile if he thought he was doing the right thing, (or a murderer, or a rapist...) That would defeat the purpose of morality... Just stop it klara-hitter.

• shut it idiot.

"there is common sense and logic that determines the harmfulness of an action for the whole group of people who are gathered together to live peacefully for the purpose of living and flourishing, and those harmful actions are discouraged and forbidden because they harm all and take the freedom major groups away."

a murderer, rapist, paedophile are all harmful elements for the society. aggressive behaviour is harmful. and all of them should be wiped out from the society according to an atheist's morals.

And this is your Christianity and what your Christian morality allows to be done.

slavery, mass murder, rape, child molestation. Read the Hamitic myth and the justification of Black people's slavery.

and don't waste my time more.

• Interesting premise, having just taken a Biblical Doctrines college level class (audit as in for no credit) through a Christian University; this response (very lame one) you were given sounds like it has its roots in one of the Arguments for the Existence of God. It's essence is that "Because man is by a moral creature, that there had to have been a moral Creator".

From what you describe, for a Christian to denounce Atheists as Amoral is a pretty broad statement which really a bucket that doesn't hold much water if the argument used for a Moral God (Creator) creating man whom y nature wants to be moral. This argument is very much dependent on Man (or Woman in the case of Eve) being deceived by another created being, Satan.

Which as an Atheist, I realize you do not recognize his; but the Christians who are saying an Atheist cannot be a moral person do. So I suppose I would be addressing the proverbial choir here! As a Christian, these are the not making Christianity too attractive to Non-Christian People.

To me Christianity is more than a Religion it is a lifestyle, because I believe that I a a changed person through Jesus Christ , I try not to go on the attack. God does not need puny little me to defend Himself. I'm not anything like a perfect person, I am however a major change from the person I was before encountering Jesus Christ.

Blonde girl dismounting soap box now!!!

• You can have morals without religion. I have many atheist friends and they are the nicest people I have ever met. In fact one of my friends is actually a professor at a college, is atheist and his wife is a Christian... I have no idea how they work it out but they do.

• Moral behaviour is what is needed to function normally in society, so of course. I lead a moral life without the need of a book to tell me to do so.

What is your deal with atheists, seriously? I've seen you post three questions completely bashing us.

• It's kind of like a breaking away from religion. I was stupid enough to respect them at one point and them turn me into an atheist somewhat, now I'm breaking away from stupidity.

• Yea, over the internet... LOL

Nah, I've been turned down by atheists girls, but as soon as I treat them nice they change their minds... Lol it's not about that.

• And If you're talking about who I think you are... I actually rejected her first (although it was slight) and then she retaliated.

• They ask how do I have morals and I say by just not being a cunt. Seriously having morals isn't really hard. Actually sticking to them (unlike most people I know) is though

• Everyone has morals. You don't have to have a god to have that.

• Someones religion or lack of has nothing do with morals all the time. Morals go with character. But religion can influence it.

It depends on the person

• Of coarse, atheists have morals too..
    They're human beings, just like you and I.

What Guys Said 10

• Do you think those raping pedo priests have morals? And do you think those who protected raping pedo priests have morals?
    childfriendlyfaith.org/.../
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Catholic_sex_abuse_cases_in_the_United_States
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases

Do you think child murder in the Bible proves religious morals?
    1 Samuel 15:3
    Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'"
    http://biblehub.com/1_samuel/15-3.htm

Etc, pages and pages of religious 'morality'... in yourbuy bull.

• I believe they do

• I'm a fucking Atheist and have fucking morals and also just said a lot of fucks with ing.

• "If that's society, then society's your God, if that's another God, then that's your God." Society is my god? What the fuck are you smoking?
    A large part of our morals are formed by our environment, whether that is just the culture we live in, the religion we grow up in or just certain standards your family upholds. I'm not sure where you came up with the "society is your god" theory, but I suggest you put it back where you found it, because it doesn't make sense at all.

• It means society is your authority. On top of that every society upholds a God or religion, either through majority opinion or by its constitution so ultimately, you can't really be moral without a God.

• Nazi Germany was a society that persecuted the Jews, if you were in nazi Germany would be raised to adhere to their cruel culture, the only way to change it would be to introduce another moral authority.

You can't really judge their society with the customs of our society because you would need an ultimate authority or deciding factor to say who's right.

• Hitler provided a rationale behind disliking them, and people followed like sheep. The human mind is highly moldable, and we can adapt to agree to new ideologies very quickly, especially if there is a mob mentality, where we do it because everyone else is. It's like an artificially created morality. You're technically supporting my argument, suggesting that anyone can have moral authority over a group, and that does not have to be a God. Again, persecuting against an entire group of people is not evolutionary harmonious behaviour, but it can be advantageous in some situations, as members of an outgroup can pose a threat to an ingroup. It's totally subjective.

• You don't need a religion to have morals, period. Look up the word moral in a dictionary and it has nothing to do with religion.

• Everyone must have morals

• I agree. Morals don't necessarily have to be based in religion.

• You are implying that the main role of a society or a "god being" would
    be to judge, what kind of person you are.
    Also why would someone be a complete idiot for doing something that should be done, even if he does not want it? Being good, for the sake of being good, not for the sake of satisfying a god or society or any of your other needs. True, it sounds a bit masochistic, but for me, that is the definition of a hero, not an idiot.

• ofc they have morals, they can be good human beings too, despite not believing in a god

• Precious little to add, except the jails are full of Christians.