Thoughts on NAACP chapter president pretending to be black?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/a-civil-rights-leader-has-disguised-herself-as-black-for-yea?bffbnews&utm_term=4ldqpho#.biaOM5KOP8 Here's the full story.

Basically, a college professor of Africana studies, civil rights activist, and the Spokane, Washington NAACP chapter president has been living a lie. According to her parents she is of Swedish, German, and Czech ancestry. But she has chosen to live her life as a black woman and identifies as black.

Thoughts.

• Let her live her life! No harm, no foul
  • Wrong, it's not right to try to live another life.
  • She has a mental illness.
  • Other
www.cnn.com/.../index.html

UPDATE Article includes statements from her brother, and at the bottom, there are statements from NAACP leaders.

I'm expecting an in depth interview or public statement in the upcoming weeks.

Most Helpful Guy

• The main issue is that she lied.

What Guys Said 11

• Pretending to be of another race is less of a leap than pretending to be of the opposite sex. It's pretty ironic that people who would denounce 'transphobia' are engaging in 'transracism'. Shame on them, LOL.

Her parents say they don't know why she did this. I think it's pretty obvious why. She clearly wants to be a victim. Unfortunately, many people these days have a sick desire to be victimized. They hate life and want to be destroyed.

• No different then when the president steal money or any other politican or no worse when someone working for the government gets away with murder.

• I think it's terrible she stooped so low, i saw that on Channel 11 WPXI News
    this morning and couldn't believe she do that cause it's not right and she
    does have mental health illnesses and belongs locked up..

• Why do humans make shit that is just not important at all "important news"? Who gives a fuck? What does it matter?

• she must have wasted a fortune on tan

• I was looking at her skin and wondering what she did as well. Maybe the lotion? @ apexalpha anyways, what are your thoughts on her decision.

• since she is a college professor I guess this is what they mean by primary data collection

• She's claiming her adopted black brother as her son? She's bat shit crazy...

• I dont understand why she did all this?

• Who hasn't lied on a job application to get a job? Would the NAACP accepted her if she said she was white?

• She's living her adult life as a black woman. She just got the NAACP position in January.

• The thing about lying on a job application if your boss finds out the lie you might get the sack. She was obviously lying about the hate mail because it furthered her ambitions.

• Short, sweet, to the point. she lied.

• I think such organisations are racist. If races don't exist, as we are always told, then racially defined organisations are racist and must be banned.

• The last time I heard the NAACP as an organization isn't pissed at her. That's what I got from the bottom lines of the CNN report in my update.
      And people create the term race, biologically there is one race, the human race. However, people can belong to different ethnicities. (that's my view on it)

• Humanity is a species. Races are subdivisions, and they are very real. But I find it strange that race exists when blacks need privilege, but when white people organise racially they are either told that races do not exist or that they are Nazis.

• Physical and geographical differences are real, what I'm getting at is that we aren't that different, we just adjusted to out environments. Anyways, you're generalizing. As someone who is part black, I don't even use the concept of race, and I especially don't use it to gain privilege. One of the main reasons black people came together was because they were uniting from oppression to strive for the betterment of their people.

• i think its funny because that racist group needs to either come out as racist or deal with it.

What Girls Said 9

• Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

So she's not American, is less colored than Kim Kardashian, and is speaking for a group of people she can NEVER understand. I'm honestly having a hard time even understanding how crazy this lady is. Like, there are so many LAYERS. I'm so confused!

All I know for sure is she needs to resign so that organization can function as it should with the people at the head that should be. Ugh. What a messed up situation.

• I think she was born in Montana. The story is developing as more fact emerge though, she hid her childhood very well.

• Well def keep us updated! This is insane.

• She is probably a cointelpro plant being used to make sure black people don't make too many moves. There is a reason for everything and I'm not fooled by her nice white lady act. She is being deceptive for a reason. Tell me why you would pretend to be black and join a political group for the advancement of colored people for shits and giggles.

• She probably did it to get a job. Who hasn't led on job application form?

• The alternative is that she really does want to be black because she appreciates black people and wants to combat black issues. Do you think this is out of the question @pr3ttybr0wn

• @pr3ttybr0wn Because there are crazy fucking people in the world. There is an interracial couple who dress like moses and biblical characters and they walk around aimlessly. They are definitely not government operatives. Besides, the government would use an actual black agent on the payroll to infiltrate that organization, not a crazy white woman. Not to mention they can just monitor all electronic communications and financial records to ensure the NAACP, or any other organization, isn't up to anything other than peaceful political activity. With people like Jeff Fort and the El Rukns, I can't say I blame the government for doing it. All governments spy, it's what they do.

• I mean, that's a little strange and she seems delusional, but anyone can identify whatever they choose.

• Not how it works. If I claimed to be Scottish, even though I have no Scottish ancestry and have never lived in Scotland, that would be a lie. Her claiming to be black is just as much of a lie, but even more offensive. Now, people do define their own gender. The way gender is constructed is far different than race. So no, people can't identify however they please.

• I honestly don't see a big deal. She did everything in her power to help black people.

• Makes me fucking pissed really. Being black is not an accessory. I don’t care if she helped black people or not, you could do all of that without the get-up. I don’t buy it. She is as European as it gets, what the fuck really. “chosen to identify as black”, fuck off with the bullshit.

• You would be ok with all her efforts if she wouldn't have lied?

• Never thought a Caucasian woman would want to be black, still pretty darn hilarious to me. Something's not really right upstairs. We'll be seeing her on Oprah or something in the next two months or less, guaranteed.

• Confused af. So many questions.. but i guess the obvious one is WHY?

• The same way I feel about people trying to be a gender they're not

• Why does she even appear to to be black?

Either way it's none of our business. Sure she lied but if we hadn't of known we wouldn't have carded so why give a shit now? It's her life let her live it how she want.

And again is she mixed or something?

• Her parents said she is Caucasian with a small possibility she is part Native American.