Why is the neanderthal genome present in far more modern east Asians than in any other modern humans?

Most Helpful Guy

• Guesses:
    East Asia (China. Mongolia) is more spread out than Western Europe and Neanderthal populations could be more remote, increasing peaceful co-existence.
    The last glaciation heavily involved Europe: upload.wikimedia.org/.../CLIMAP.jpg
    ... making food scarce and increasing competition for it. So my ancestors sought out and killed "flat heads", whereas the better climate and remoteness to the east reduced competition. The more lonely I got, the more beautiful she would look.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...8649ad36b7.jpg

What Guys Said 6

• Oh dear, they may have run away from us here in Europe :o
    Interesting question Coco, I learned something new today :D

• Cro-magnon's advantage was better organization and social skills. Neanderthal's was greater intelligence. I guess in east Asia that was more important for a while.

• I don't know, but I've got a jaw that would make the Crimson Chin blush.
    ... N-Not that you'd notice, since he's red but... Y-Yeah...

• Nande darou? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• huh... are neanderthals still around?

• The backwards nature of the region.

• so stating a fact is dumb? some people don't have enough knowledge about asia so sometimes it is necessary to explain. Your rudeness is uncalled for.

• You weren't just stating a fact though were you? You were out to prove me wrong (which I wasn't) and the snarkiness makes that apparent.

What Girls Said 1

• Well the paper says that Neanderthals interbred for longer with East Asian humans and not so much with European humans. Since they are our ancestors it makes sense that the current east Asians would have a larger percentage of neanderthal genome compared to modern Europeans.

• but why didn't they breed longer with other groups?

• i guess people were into instant gratification back then too

• More that traveling took a lot of effort and resources.