What does it mean when your employer tells you to take a week off and give him a call? Does it mean I am fired?

So I work for a clinic as an assistant. I work under doctors and I help them out with patients. Past week I was very tired didn't sleep well because I have exams coming up that I need to take to get into grad school. I work part time this place is a small practice. Anyways so one day last week I had severe back pain and I was very off since I barely got any sleep and I wasn't prepared or helping out the doc. So when I was leaving the doc called me and the manager in and talked to me saying I was so good before and now I am getting bad at the job. What's going on I just said I m under a lot of stress due to exams. He asked me for suggestion I wasn't thinking and said it would be nice to have a back up assistant. He thought about it for a minute and then he said take a week off and give us a call. Does it mean I am fired? I called today and talked to the manager saying I want to come back and work again and it won't happen again. She said she will give me a call tomorrow. But I am supposed to work tomorrow and she said do not come in tomorrow because the doc said to take a week off. I am confused. Am I fired? Kind of worried. My mind is exploding thinking about things. I worked at this clinic to get experience and letter of recommendation which I still need to apply to grad school. I don't want to end on bad terms because I really need the letter from them. What do I do? Please someone help!!!

Most Helpful Guy

• Your boss seems to care, I think. If you got fired then you would be fired, no reason to hide it from your worker I think.

I was in a similar situation once. I worked shifts at a factory but my depression made it difficult. At some point I told my boss the truth about my mental issues and he was genuinely interested in what I had to say. I got a few days off to collect myself and then I returned to work much better. I kept working there for about a year longer until I got fired because of lay-offs.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't think you're fired... yet. The week off I take as get yourself together get unstressed and get your back feeling better then call and he'll probably talk about your job performance and if you think you can handle the job.

• Looks to me like they are giving you a chance to get some rest and come back better. If you stress about this and come back to work stressed out and do a bad job, then they will consider firing you. Just rest and come back in good shape you'll be ok

• They are mistakenly expecting you to have the endurance of a medical student. You've explained your situation to them already. Go in, repeat politely what you have told them, and if it looks like you can't win no matter what, thank them, tell them you wanted to know before accepting another offer. Then just leave. No guarantees, but there's a fair chance they'll stop you before you get out of the door.

• Have you been fired without being fired? Probably.
    What may work in your favour is that the doctor will almost certainly remenber the hell that he probably went through as a student.

• no you aren't fired. you have a week off to catch up on your sleep because they need you at 100% not 2%

What Girls Said 2

• Did you not hear what they said? They are giving you a needed break. If they said you are fired.. Then its real.

• Could be your employer knew you needed a break. Give him a call in a week like he said.