Native English speakers~Does your accent change over time?

Lets say you move to new province or different countries where have different English accent :)
like if you are American and if you move to England or Australia then live there long enough, would it change your accent? :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I think a person's accent can change over time. If that person is an adult I doubt their accent would completely change rather than being more like a hybrid. I've heard of some people moving for a long time and then having different accents depending on the person that are talking to.

Most Helpful Girl

• I didn't really think I had an accent. I moved to the south (of the US) when I was younger, and they said I had a northern accent. Then I moved up north near Canada and they said I had a southern accent.

Nowadays, people have a hard time placing where I'm from. I'm not from anywhere in particular, though. I used to be fluent in a few languages, English being my first language but learning French and Italian when I was a kid since I lived over there as well.

What Guys Said 5

• It depends on the person and at what age the person moved.

My father was born in England. He came to America in his late twenties. He retained his accent all his life, though it softened a bit over the years. His sister and her husband moved from England to America in their forties. They retained their accents and they were quite noticeable. Einstein moved to America in his 50s. He retained a noticeable German accent all his life. I work at a school that teaches MANY Japanese and Korean children. They frequently shed their accents within two or three years.

But then again, who the hell cares about accents? A colleague of mine is from Russia. She speaks English fluently at a college educated level. She also has a distinct accent, though it doesn't hamper her ability to communicate. She took classes to try and get rid of her accent, but they proved to be a waste of money. I pointed out to her Einstein's example and how he retained his accent all his life, but it never hindered him.

• It might a little

• When you get at a certain age you will always have an accent in a certain language I think its 12 or 13 I forgot.

• I think most people's accents would change. Mine has a little.

• In the US, we adopt different dialects even as we move within our own country.

What Girls Said 4

• After being immersed in the culture for a fair amount of time, aquiring the accent would be unnoticeable as everyone speaks in that way, provided that it's the same language with altered pronounciations. The accents from the East of the USA sound more like original English than the accents from the West. I'm from the West but I still find the Eastern speech easier to understand.

• Totally. I lived in a different province for under four months and now I speak some of that regional dialect back home. No one understands me and they all think I'm a jesus freak. Sigh.

• i've been told by japanese and non-japanese that i have a japanese accent sometimes and they were doubtful of my claims

• If I went to Jamaica it would change big time.