Why are some people insecure about being African American?

I love myself because I am me. I see jokes about 'black girls a lot that are mean. For example: weave jokes, skin jokes, personality jokes, etc. I do not consider them funny and ignore people who say them.

I notice other people also try to make me insecure because they are. They are like oh girl, do something with your hair. Do something with my hair? It is my natural curly hair I am not doiny anything with it I do not want too. You can go perm, flat iron or wear weaves. No ones stopping you. Do what you do best and mind your own business.

Not to mention those girls who are ALWAYS obessesed with white guys. He could be a killer and she would not care because he is white and 'cute'. It is also annoying when the person bashes themselve for being African American because of white guys. My hairs nappy, my skins ugly, no one wants me etc. Lo, child please stop... I would not do that over some skin pigments.

Most Helpful Guy

• They are usually the butt of the joke, stereotypes, and negativity

What Guys Said 8

• I have no idea to be honest, its not really a big deal to me like it should. I can't say i look at it as a handicap but i do reconigize myself as a target. I have been around different parts of america and even Europe a bit, most strangers won't bat an eye while they're some who have grudges against me as if i did something to them.

Whether people like me or not just because of my ethnicity isn't going to affect my sleep patterns at night, its only when you're in a situation when you have interact with someone because of work or friends then the moment gets a bit uncomfortable.

• So called 'race' is a sociological construct. It's just skin pigments indeed. And black skin and features can be very beautiful. But that goes for all skin colors.
    Behavior and personality are way more important.

• Each of us are who and what we are. That is determined by our DNA. There is nothing that any of us can do about that.
    It is insane for someone to hate themselves because of the race into which they were born.
    It is also insane to be sexually interested in anyone outside of your race, in my opinion.
    Be the best and most successful person whom you can be and to Hell with anyone who had a problem with that.
    PS: I am a blond white male.

• don't give a shit about them just live your life , they had mental problems , probably

• Prep talk aside in the business world it's a proverbial death sentence. The glass ceiling is very, very real.

• Jimmy Hendricks was black. One of the best guitarists ever. Inspired a lot of musicians.

• I haven't known black people to be very insecure about anything, truth be told.

• African Americans live in a country that condemn you for being African American

What Girls Said 5

• All of this roots back to slavery.
    The racist the mentality is still around.
    This doesn't just happen in black communities but various ones considered people of color.
    The western or white look is often deemed as attractive.
    Lighter skin blacks are often displayed in the media.
    In order to change our thinking , society as a whole must first change themselves.

• Yeeep.
      Hardly see someone of a dark complexion on American televison... rare in commercials too.

• Bad jokes and surrounded by too much negativity.

• It all goes back to racial discrimination. I feel like being black is more a curse than a blessing. I'm super insecure and at first I thought "oh, everyone a little insecure" but I was out with a friend and I was so afraid of trying on shorts in front of her and she tells me that most people have like at least on scar get over yourself" but I realized it was the scars.. it was the skin... just the color of my skin myself giving to me at birth was enough to stop me. And that's not right. It's not fair. You look at pictures on tumblr and think I can't wear that because that won't look good on black people, or I can't do that with my hair, its too thick and coarse and curly, or I'll never be successful because I'm not the same color as the intern next to me. But it's not our fault. since well... forever, we we're planted in the root belief that we we're less than others, and watered with the insults and jokes created by, you guessed it, other races, mostly white people. And yeah sure there are jokes about Asians, and Mexicans , and some even about white people, but I bet if you ask any minority in America, they would say the African Americans. And we can perm our hair, put 4oz of makeup, and hell put on some colored contacts, but just having hours on my hair so I look a bit like the others isn't worth it. People kill themselves about not fitting it but I wish I could just slap them and say "toughen up bitch. people have it worse. imagine being BORN different. Exactly so put the razor away and live life." And to all those insecure minorities, a few words of wisdom "You buy a chocolate bar for the chocolate, not for the wrapper" be true to yourself.

• Because they think that no one will date them because of the skin color and stereotypes

• i blame their parents. their parents moved in a neighborhood that had little to no blacks, and the kids got socialized around nonblacks and they grew up insecure about being different and of the "lowly" race