Why do atheists use the Old Testament to argue against Christians?

Christianity is based on the teachings of Christ, not on the Old Testament which was written to apply to an archaic society.

They don't really have anything against Christianity either...

Most Helpful Guy

• Most of them just to a website and pull some things down and act like they are smarter than others. Many are just idiots without life expereinces and have no idea about what they are talking about.

• I find it annoying how such incompetent people can think they have so much authority. I guess that's why they're so attracted to gag.

• Many are gay guys who are mad because religion does not accept their lifestyle, they seem to be the most vocal on here.

What Girls Said 4

• I'm an atheist. I don't see why people think that atheists have to argue with Christians only. It's the same for all the three monotheistic religions. All three are the same. I don't want to start an argument because everytime I express my feelings and thought about religion all these angry Christians seem to be ready for a fight.

• Atheists can use the new testament against Christians too... Its just that the Old testament is like particularly the creepiest part of the bible to be honest with you. Like Imagine would an all good and just God be cool with things like child sacrifice , or be obsessed with foreskins being gross. It sounds very silly no

• Well, you do have to admit, most Christians are embarrassed by the OT. Let's face it, there is a lot of un christian-like activity going on... prostitution, multiple wives, lots of sex, rape of virgins, magic, other gods, and on and on...

• Why do you care? I've had nothing but ill experiences with atheists. Besides most Christians follow both books anyway.

What Guys Said 20

• If the old testament didn't have anything to do with Christianity, then it wouldn't be a part of the bible. Clearly the old testament does play a role in Christianity even going as far as to predict what is yet to come.

Don't forget there are many different types of Christians, and just because you believe something, doesn't mean every Christian shares your belief. A lot of Christians often use the old testament to validate their beliefs to anyone that disagrees with them.

• Your own Bible is is why:

According to it your Zebus said:
    1) “For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then your Zebus said so.

2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever.
    "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

3) your Zebus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

3b) "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

4) your Zebus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law. Mark.7:9-13 "Whoever curses father or mother shall die" (Mark 7:10 NAB)

5) your Zebus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” (Matthew 15:4-7)

• @kobe23 your Zebus is said to be god himself by Christians, thus he's the SAME entity in the OT and in the NT.
      I have 5 copies of the Bible in my library here (in different languages) . They ALL contain the OT

• @kobe23 Not reading and using the OT is cherry picking the buy-bull.

• Both the old and new testaments are full of shit. Also how could you be a Christian but deny the old testament? The new testament is based off the old one

• Because when people talk about religious text in general they say "it's the word of God" but if you mention all the bad stuff it has, all of the sudden "oh it was written by archaic people long ago and doesn't apply anymore"

So which is it? Either ALL of it was written by men and thus comes under scrutiny or it was written by God and that means he also meant all of the bad stuff he wrote.

• Well Christians believe Christ to be the incarnation of God, so yes in a way he "write" the New Testament. The Old Testament however was written by men sometimes through revelation from God, and some not all parts of it were written to apply to archaic conditions.

• That is a lame excuse. Wasn't it also said that the old testament came from God himself? But when the new one came along, all of the sudden the old one was written by men.
      Just face it, ALL of it is written by men. There is absolutely nothing that says that it isn't.

• Oh, the 10 Commandments have nothing to do with Christianity? Wasn't Jesus a Jew so the Old Testament meant something to him?

Atheists use the Old Testament against Christians because Christians use the Old Testament against atheists.

• Why is it a part of the bible still if that's the case? Also Actually preachers and priests do teach from the old testament. I can't quite understand how one can say it's not a part of your religion with these two factors. Also As an atheist who has given up arguing with Christians for the most part I have to say Christians quit your whining about us. If the worst we do to you is criticise your beliefs (something that happens to literally every belief at some point.) then.. what? Why do religious people act like us trying to de-convert you is such a horrible thing?

• basically how someone who's not a christian could b interested in bible anyway?

• Many started out as Christians themselves and at one point took their religion very seriously before losing their faith. That is generally where their knowledge comes from.

• (This is Tinkerbell) I'm a Christian. And no Christianity is based on the Bible. The OLD AND NEW Testaments. And they use the Old testament against us because they believe there are contradictions and trying to prove that God is not good (He is not only loving, but also a just Judge who at times gives us the wrath we deserve) and so they point to times He is showing His wrath.

• I'm an atheist and funny enough I don't care about christianity enough to even argue with it. Have you tried arguing with a christian? dude that's just like talking to a wall. I only have to muster the words" I don't believe in religions" and have 60 people asking my "why?" and judging me for my beliefs. screw that

• First of all, this question isn't really suited for this site. Secondly, wasn't the old testament the word of God? Not only that, the new testament specifically states that the old testament is not to be ignored. Funny how I know more about your religion than you do, hypocrite.

• Nobody says they abolish the whole testament, the understand the context in which some of it was written.

• Not going to argue any further, considering you're exactly the kind of hypocrite I'm talking about. When it's less convenient you can say "Oh, but the old testament is no longer valid!", and when a verse is convenient, you suddenly accept it. Right then.

• Because most religions are man made, and isn't based on reality or history. Particularly Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

• The New Testament is still mostly composed of lies.
    And Atheism has hundreds of points against Christianity. Seriously, religious people have to be very ignorant to believe such nonsense. But I don't mind as long as they don't limit other people's lives based on those lies.

• Because most atheists are altruists.

• Using the Torah just works in so many ways and is much easier to weaponize than the New Testament or "Christian section" of Jewish lore. You're not going to find a lot of terrible things said by Jesus personally.

• Personally, I don't care enough about Christianity to notice there is different testaments.

• erm... no.

• My guess would be that it points out hypocritical aspects.
    many Christians will say they hate gays... when questioned as to why; "it says so in the bible" is a response.
    thus forcing other aspects of the bible to be brought up too

• They is so much ammo against all religions it doesn't matter what we use to prove you guys wrong.

• Atheists who "use the OT against Christians", as well as Christians who feel like they have to defend the OT, don't really understand Christianity. There is nothing in there God has to apologize for.

• I just say it was written by people, it's a man made thing, the whole lot is bullshit! But they're just shining a light on the hypocrisy!

• That's normal: after people invented a god they had to write books to justify it.

• @jacquesvol how do we pass on our invention? Books! People are pretty stupid so we'll fill these books with a load of bullshit whilst constantly contradicting ourselves and people will blindly follow. Mr Burns: Eeeeexcellent!