Why are people so crazy about six pack?

To be honest, instead of definition of abs I would rather work on things like having an athletic body, not necessarily ripped, but toned limbs, just the right amount of size of shoulders and arms etc and yes, work more on the facial muscles to get a stronger jawline. Yet, abs seem to be the "in thing", like whats the big deal about them, any skinny dude with low body fat can have them.

Most Helpful Guy

• To quote Elliot Hulse "abs on a skinny dude is like big tits on a fat chick--that shit don't count, lol"

If you have muscle and a six pack, it's a (relatively*) good indication of your physical fitness.

But your overall point is a good one -- abs are only one minor portion of the physique. Honestly, I think a ripped back and chest are more impressive. If you are exercising correctly, abs are just a nice little detail, not the main event.

*doesn't account for joint, ligament, and tendon health--most bodybuilders have poor health in those regards, between doing only partial ranges of motion and abusing steroids

• yeah, man i follow that guy too :), amazing chap

What Girls Said 5

• They're just sexy as hell! They look especially yummy when a guy is moving his hips... tehehe
    Chocolate syrup or body oil looks amazing cascading down the ripples of those defined abs. They're a physical indication of someone who has some level of discipline, hard work, and dedication. Not to say that anyone without 6 packs does not, but seeing the muscles is obvious that the person works hard.

• thats the whole thing, fuckin media, its actually not a sign of good health, strong shoulders YES, good body size YES, tight core YES, but actually getting that core definition, i am talking the aerocrombie and fitch type, that requires cutting down on ur sodium and water intake completely over a few days, its extremely unhealthy in the long run. By the way, I am not complaining, I have already started to get all these muscles (i am a runner) but abs as such, hell no, it would make me lose the ability over time.

• I think you are mistaking the comment section under my post as a cozy, lush, leather couch in front of a peculiar, glasses-wearing professional...

• There's no need for you to bark at me and be so overly concerned with how I personally feel towards abs.

• I don't get it either, I have never really been a fan of muscles in general. Abs specifically. They look weird to me and not really attractive at all. I prefer a normal looking tummy and a healthy looking body over all, with only some muscle definition if possible.

• People love beer. ;D

Because it's attractive to some people. I'd like ice cream, syrup, and his personal white cream off of his abs.

Just depends on the individual.

• They may be the "in thing", but it's not something that I look for. I'm more attracted to arms and chest.

• I don't know. Maybe it's a trend.

As long as your toned/fit , healthy, you are good.

What Guys Said 8

• Dude, you are right anyone can have 6 pack
    but those who stand out have a thick dense 6 pack

I really have more of a toned abdominal when i flex you can see my 6 pack
    Core stability is crucial to most athletics, having strong abdominals obliques and lumbar

i think the best thing for a great physique is Big/strong calves, forearms, broad shoulders, small waist, and big legs

• U understood me man completely, I don't have a strong core as of yet since i am still at 14% body fat (i was well, obese before lol, so...) but I guess at 10 i would and yours is exactly what I aim for, that the muscles should be there, they are slightly visible, U flex them, they are there, but being dehydrated for th sake of definition, I don't think thats healthy at all.

• yeah people obsess about water retention and sodium intake to look dry as fuck
      and to be honest, thats unhealthy for the rest of your body

Props for cutting down so much bro i respect it hardcore

• hahaha i wonder y... personally never wanted 2 have 6-packs ^_^

• not many have a sixpack I think its 1 in 20000 that have a well defined six pack and it shows that you are healthy since the abdomen is the least place in the body that losses fat plus you would have a fit body accompanying it

• how does it necessarily show you are healthy, if your body fat percentage is 8-10% which is the healthiest range, u have muscles there but they won't be defined. Now if you cut down on salt and water for almost a week, then the well defined six pack starts to show and that my friend ain't healthy and lol, thats some nice "bro stats" u got.

• yes its true dehydration defines the body more but I was implying to this to dudes that have regular water intake
      at 8-10 % your abs would be showing some more than others it depends on your genetics

• the last point about genetics, that nailed it

• People are crazy about six packs, because there a sign of peak physical condition. People like optimal things.

• I dont think they are crazy about them. I personally dislike them on women.

• Because it shows and girls like it

• I care more about strength. I have more respect for strongmen who can lift cars off the ground than I do for prima donnas with six pack abs.

• lol man, still more respect for athletic, but too much definition, I don't think those guys are athletic a lot since they have dehydrated themselves quite a lot over time

• I used to have one when I did a lot of sports, I'm old and fat now. I think women who go after that sort of shit are stupid and superficial, I thought it then and I think it now. Nobody is naturally built like a dude off the front of Men's Fitness, dudes don't expect a woman to put that level of time and effort into their bodys, just look like a woman who isn't fat and we're happy. It's bullshit.

• not really, being a decently fit guy and not boasting, but I do get decent amount of female attention, if I had to go on the looks and give a stare factor, I think I would see the pretty girl with a good body. In a relationship, of course, its a diff scenario for both parties.

• lol, goosebumps? why?

• @Esplorare lol, no worries.