Do you think Harvard University can be bit overrated or the Harvard students being given way too much hype?

People often say how Harvard is the best school in the world, how all Harvard students get immediate recognition just for being enrolled in Harvard (which sounds stupid). Judging by a lot of negative stories about how very hard and selective Harvard is, Harvard seems more like a college that leans politically to the far left and fit the typical pro-affirmative action liberal college just as the majority of other Universities are in America.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Ha I've known a good amount of kids from my high school that went to harvard, they were all average smart except for two, one was an idiot and the other was legit very intelligent. It's not about how smart you are, it's about how hard working you are. Those kids did nothing, but study non stop and join clubs so it looked good on their application.

What Girls Said 1

• Like other posters said, there's not much of a difference in the material taught (not 100% sure though because I don't go there).

I think the only difference is the quality of students.

What Guys Said 6

• I think its just like every other university in America, it just looks pretty on a job application to say you went to Harvard. But I can get the same amount of education at the university I want to go to without all the bullshit that comes with Harvard.

• Harvard is considered a great university because it is funded by rich people and only rich people go there (or 4.0 GPA students with a 36 on the ACT and a 2400 on the SAT, and then they have to have a physical disability or be a racial minority). It's considered one of the best because it is an elitist school for a bunch of hobnobs and their kids.

• I never understood how Harvard was often considered to have the "best education" out of rest of the other US colleges. If anything, Harvard is only the best Univerity in the world strictly because of it's prestige and reputation rather than the actual education itself.

• Of the Ivy League schools, MIT is the only one that carries clout in my opinion. Their engineering programs are legitimately of the best in the world. Everyone else? CEOs, lawyers, and English professors. Needed professions, but hardly what I'd call progressive education. It's all about keeping the money flowing in a circular direction: take rich person's money, give kid certification to be in a high paying profession, wait 20 years for the kid to have kids of his own, repeat, and throw enough minorities and disabled in to appease the government.

• it simply has more funding. Their alumni donate tons of money to the school. THe school specifically reaches out to foreign exchange students which brings even more money to the school. More money = better facilities and professors which then = more affluent students attending to perpetuate the whole thing.

• If it helps , think of it this way. Professional sports teams have different amounts of money. the ones with the most money can afford the best players. The teams with the better players could potentially bring in more fans, which brings in more revenue for the team. and so on and so forth.

• It's mainly hype. Most of the universities teach the same material and actually use the same books.

• I think they are all a bunch of rich snobs that only get in if they have enough money

• I think it's funny how people treat Harvard as a perfect, heavenly and sacred school that you shouldn't dare criticize without ever enrolling. I can already tell just by looking at some of the people who've enrolled in Harvard that the University isn't what the social and political media quite hyped it out to be at an academic viewpoint.

• harvard is filled with the smartest and best kids in the whole WORLD the name means something because everyone knows it is only filled with the best

everyone that says differently doesn't know what it means to be that hard working or that high up in education