U. S why don't you switch to SI units?

I really would imagine finding it difficult to think in pounds and miles, instead of kg and kilometers. You also would find it difficult to think the other way round as well of course, but the SI units are international and many countires if not all use them, so why don't you gradually switch to them to? I think it would be better if the world is the same on certain matters.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree, US needs a switch.

What Girls Said 3

• ^^ yes! although it'd be expensive and to be honest America can be quite self contained and so doesn't really need to.

• Well ok America can be quite self contained just as many other countries I think, but America takes a lot of interest in international affairs I dont' see why than it does not abide with the International system of units, the SI units, kilograms (kg), meters (m), Kelvin (K) etc.

• hahaha, oh I really like your catch phrase in your profile pic by the way. lol

• Haha thanks 👍

• It's not that hard.
    I don't understand SI units haha

• I don't understand SI units, to be honest...

What Guys Said 10

• Because frankly it's not terribly important.

Does anyone really believe that international relations between the U. S. and say, North Korea will change because now we use the same measurements? Does anyone really believe we're going to strengthen our relationships with NATO and SEATO countries because, like our foreign brethren, we too now measure Mountain Dew by the liter? Does anyone REALLY and TRULY believe that tensions between Russia and U. S. will lessen if the U. S. starts calibrating its depleted uranium shells in kilograms just like Russia as they menace the Ukraine with their depleted uranium shells?

Besides, the scientific community in America has long ago switched to metric units. It's the general public that hasn't. I can say all my students know the metric system well. It's simple, logical, and practical. However, all my students also know the old imperial measurements equally well. They are less simple, less logical, less practical, but completely within the grasp of 10 and 11 year olds to memorize. People make it out like it's OH-SO-DIFFICULT!!! to use the old imperial measurements and it makes international relations OH-SO-STRAINED!!! that the U. S. continues to use them. Nonsense. They're not terribly difficult (children use them routinely, and American children learn BOTH), and it will do absolutely nothing as far as international relations are concerned. The United States frankly doesn't care that the rest of the world uses metric. Besides, the switch, even if done gradually, is estimated to cost billions. Yes, billions. That's why it never came to fruition during the Carter administration.

We can still be friends, care for one another, and be kind to one another without wasting time and money switching to metric.

• I think it sounds good that the whole world uses one set of units for measurements, it would eliminate unnecessary conversions, facilitate communication between people from different countries when talking about measurements, etc, but of course those who need to make the change will start to come up with all sorts of excuses to resist the change!

• pounds r very easy dude... if u have ever watched wresslin shows like WWE or TNA, then u'd know how they r counted... no matter where r u from.

i've asked a similar question a while ago, but on da other way round (askin metric system 2 b abolished)

also pounds/feet/yards, etc r used in most sports

• sp.yimg.com/.../th

It's ok we are fine with our pounds and miles.

• Come on switch. You take a lot of interest in international affairs, why than don't you abide with the International System of units (SI units)?

• It would be better on the one hand, but on the other hand changing the habits of all people who are used to miles, pounds, inches, feet, yards,... will not be easy :o
    It's like changing the currency of a country, people continue to count in the old currency for years to come!
    I'm teaching the conversion between units to aircraft pilots and our life would be a lot simpler if only metric units would be in use :D

• Thats why I said gradually. So that it will not be a sudden change. Within 10 years or so you would be fine.

• I can teach 10 and 11 year olds to do it in about as much time.

What's your favorite machine to fly, Hans222?

• My favourite is the Diamond DA-40, the turbodiesel version of it. See pic below.
      It's not that expensive to rent since it only burns 4.5 USG of fuel an hour. And that's relatively cheap jet fuel. She's really nice to fly and the interior even has some "limousine" looks though that doesn't matter to me.
      I also fly the good old Cessna 172 or a French built Robin DR400. All small sportsplanes.
      upload.wikimedia.org/.../...ondstar.g-jkmf.arp.jpg

• I agree that we need to adopt the metric system, but I want us to keep using Fahrenheit over Celsius. I like speaking about the weather in terms of 60s, 70s, 80s, etc.

• all i know is, construction companies building houses and condos would really appreciate it if we have a imperial blueprint and all our workers are from Canada (which uses metric). lol so many stories about how people converted the imperial measurements wrong and costly companies millions to fix it.

• Never. Our system has always worked perfectly and it's what we grew up with. NO kilograms, or kilometers of any of that other crap!

• Im dumbfounded by all the americanos that don`t want to integrate into the SI system its easier for things like calculations because its based on multiples of 10

• They want to be different, I guess.

• don't see why it matters.

• It matters because it facilitates communication between people from different countries. If I remember correctly I once read that a multi million dollar satellite was lost because some scientists were working in pounds of thrust and others in kilograms and as a result it so happened that the thrust was insufficient because it was calculated with the wrong units, and the satellite crashed. You see now why it matters!

• @Asker
      You're talking about the Mars Polar Explorer.

Yes, it was a multi million dollar satellite. Yes, it failed due to a failure to convert units. However, this conversion was a failure between TWO American OFFICES (Lockheed and NASA), not between American and some foreign office. I don't think it's due largely to a failure to convert so much as it is due to a failure on the part of Lockheed and NASA to communicate. It takes literally microseconds for a computer to make the conversions.

Conservative estimates put the cost of a phased change to metric in the billions. The difference between the cost in Europe and Asia and America is largely due to the fact that most of Europe and Asia had long ago switched to kilometers before the invention of the car. America did not, so our entire interstate system is based on imperial measurements.

• just like how different languages hinders communication... and satellites, meh, the space programme has had few tangible benefits.