I feel like my dreams are too big, I have too much competition in the way of me doing what I want, and it's time for me to just give up. Opinions?

My dream is to be a manga artist, but I don't think I can match up to what they need. My friend says I should go for it, but then always takes little jabs at my dream, and not like strait out but rather "oh, someday you'll be as good as me." She doesn't want the job she just criticizes and insults me for the hell of it. I've realized I don't even have what it takes to compete with those out there. Which is why I decided to give up. The minute I do everyone makes a big deal about it when they didn't really seem to care before and I don't even know what to do. The first picture is of my fan drawing of Lucy heartfilia and the second is my friend's and I just feel like, giving up is what I should do. Opinions?

• Give up
  • Keep trying

Most Helpful Girl

• I suck at drawing people. I'm just gonna put that out. So you're doing much better than I am.
    You are only fourteen, you have plenty of time to improve, plenty of time to reinforce whether or not you want to be a manga artist, trust me, ideas and ideals change as you get older.
    All I see between yours and your friends is a bit of planning, I can just see a few lines that helped her get the proportions right.
    I think all you need to do is make it a little simpler. You've got detail which is great, but I think you need to work a little on proportion. I don't know what it is, but something is either a little too big or a little too small. I can't figure out what though. So for a while I'd say work a little more on your proportion and then worry about the detail and colouring.

I was always too scared to colour my drawings, I figured out pretty quickly that I'm crap at deciding what colours to put together and so would always ruin my drawings with colour when they looked fine in grayscale.

What Guys Said 6

• Expertise is a result both of natural ability and hard work.

So first I would figure out what your natural abilities are: what comes easier to you?

It needn't be a broad subject, it could be something withing e. g. drawing that you're good at: having ideas, cropping, sketching, outlining, coloring, whatever.

Just figure out as many things as you can that you're good at in life.

Second, find out what you love doing, what you're passionate about, what makes you forget your surroundings. What you want to do. It sounds like drawing manga is one of those things. You will need this passion in order to put in the years of hard work required to get really good.

Now combine your natural ability and your passion and get to work :)

• Dude, you're 14. You don't have to worry if your career is gonna be comic book artist yet.

Just do good in school and enjoy your hobby and your life in your free time. It sounds like your friend is just trying to get into some friendly competition.

• If you really want to be a manga artist, then you shouldn't give up. Your drawing is amazing. Why are you being so hard on yourself? Don't compare your work to others. You have your own style and should embrace and perfect it. But only if you want to.

• If you have a talent, you should develop it. Don't let people tell you otherwise.

• go for it, dont let haters tell you how to live your life.

• I think you can do it don't worry

What Girls Said 5

• I wouldn't listen to your friend about how she's so much better than you. What kind of friend says things like that?

Personally I did the whole chase your ~dream~ in the ARTS. And it sucked. It was expensive time consuming and horribly soul destroying. Keep art as a hobby and something that lights up your day but find something sensible to support yourself.

• You're a really good sketcher, especially with manga. If that doesn't work you definitely have a talent. Don't give up though, and your "friend"... she doesn't sound like a good one if she's criticizing you. Don't give up, everyone has different levels of skill, and you're near the top already.

• Those are really good, you're young and have plenty of time to brush up on your skills... you have talent.. don't give up!

• your amazing ur so called friend just wants competition never give up!

• Your drawings aren't good enough for you to be a manga artist.