Is it bad that I think the swastika is a creative and pretty shape?

I can't help but think it is beautiful. It was suppose to originally be meant as a symbol prosperity and good in ancient times.

I recalled getting once in trouble just for drawing one when I was very little even when I had no idea about it. I just thought it was cute and still think it is. Just like I think stars and rainbows are pretty so is a swastika to me.

Update: this is what is was suppose to have meant, unlike what Germany made it out to be during WWll, giving it a terrible reputation

http://www.britannica.com/topic/swastika

Most Helpful Guy

• The swastika exists in nearly every culture and continent in the world, it is a solar symbol and symbol of good luck and fortune. In fact American pilots in WWI use to paint them on the wings of planes for good luck and protection. So no it isn't a bad thing. Just be prepared to have to explain it to a lot of people. Its funny how easily something can be associated with a negative event. They have been around the world for thousands of years, and one ten year period of time was able to remove the thousands of years of positive usage.

What Guys Said 7

• Well... I don't really know how to approach this question. I am continental European and we tend to feel much more closer to and much more sensitive about the whole second world war and holocaust issue than Americans. Also, I study history as one of my two majors. So having said that... I think you make the whole thing too easy for yourself. I get that you find the symbol pretty as a pure sign and I believe that you're being genuine about this statement but you still can't just blind out the fact that there's lots of historical context connected to the Swastika. I would understand every Jew perfectly fine if you'd tell him/her, you just find it "a pretty symbol". That's like me as European saying "I just find people dressing in white robes funny and attractive. I can't help the fact that the KKK abused white robes for their own purpose". Or to make it even more clear, I could also argue "I just happen to enjoy the sound of the word 'nigger'. C'mon, I don't mean anything bad with it, it's just an arrangement of letters that make a pretty sound". Now, we would probably both agree that saying something like this is both offensive and ignorant. Because white robes might just be a piece of clothing and "nigger" might just be a simple word like thousands of other words in the English language but they still carry meaning in popular culture and today's society as a whole. And while your claim about the Swastika's origins isn't wrong, you have to admit that this is not the meaning people think of anymore nowadays. The meaning of the swastika in today's society clearly stands for the Nazis in particular and for racism, antisemitism, homophobia, extremism and all these other nasty things in general.

• Well yes, I would be careful not to accidentally offend anyone. You got me laughing on the sound of the word n** being cute. I agree, that person would be a total ignorant to say that.

It does suck how a thousands years of history of its original meaning got forever tainted by that evil man and his followers.

• Yes, I can agree with you on that ;-)

• Yes because of what it stands for.

• No before it used to actually be a peace sign
    made by the Indians I am not sure if it still is and in other religions such as in Buddhism its the Nazis who turned it into a hate sign.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

• oh never mind you already knew that.

• Yes but thanks for the link. It does have an interesting history way before dumb German haters ruined it.

• weird... but ok, toleratable :p

• Considering it's history as not originally a symbol of evil it's fine. Lots of people like pinwheels.

• I know and Germany made it have a bad reputation.

• Well, whatever, just don't expect everyone to think highly of your love for red and black.

• Even when I first draw it, I did it with light colors and flowers around it. I can sometimes be creative and will take my time drawing.

• the nazis borrowed that symbol from much older religions, only average people would think that it is ONLY a symbol for Nazism.

• Just convert to Buddhism and you can use it all you want.

What Girls Said 1

• It's not bad per say but context means a lot. Yes if it is tilted the right way like it was long before Hitler and the Nazi party it meant prosperity. It has been so tainted and fueled with hate and other ideologies that it will never be seen as a positive symbol again unless you are a nazi or neonazi. So while it is fine to think it's a beautiful symbol, it isn't ok to go around parading it, unless you are part of that group, which I hope you aren't. It isn't healthy to have that much hate and anger inside.

• I'm not part of any group. I just appreciate its shape. That one time I got in trouble, I even took my time drawing it with flowers around it.

• shouldn't we respect the societal and historical interpretation of the symbol and more importantly the cultures who use this symbol? Isn't that the equivalent of dictating that an entire culture and people change because the actions of a few who claim to be apart of that group?

• Yes but unfortunately that isn't the world we live in. The death of millions fairly recently in the grad scheme of things is going to be thought of a lot more often when seeing a swastika than its original meaning which is never brought up in most cases and so few know about