Why do people have this kind of mentality?

I was discussing murder and jail time with a friend of mine recently. We were talking about how a convicted paedophile is set to be released early and Oscar Pistorius being released on bail too. In both cases he thought that it was too soon, which I agreed with.

But then when we started to talk about what we'd do if someone killed a close friend or family member, and he jumped on the "I'd kill them" bandwagon.

I told him that killing them is fruitless, that it does more harm than good and that the victim (i. e your friend or fmaily member) wouldn't want you to suffer jail for the rest of your life.

I think he kind of understood where I was coming from, but why do people jump to killing other who killed someone they care? Are you that kind of person and do you ever think about the consequences?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have the feeling that many people - especially in the US - are extremely primitive thinking when it comes to this topic and extremely vengeful. The death penalty is a great example for this. Still today, in 2015 there is a majority of Americans who are in favor of the death penalty. You can bring forth literally any argument there is (death penalty is actually more expensive than life sentences, it's inhumane, it doesn't reduce crime rates, innocent people have been killed, European countries and their crime rates prove it's not the way to go etc. etc.) and yet, people will still favor it. They will listen to your rational arguments half-heartedly only to say in this end "well... I just think this person should die". I think quite similarly to you and man, it can be so frustrating. I don't think I could ever kill anyone. I can't say it for sure because I have never been in that situation but at least I hope that I would have the emotional strength in that kind of situation to not do anything idiotic. A lot of people (especially men) regard this vengefulness as some sort of hero-play. Die-hard dads so to speak. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. If I was killed, I wouldn't want my dad to run after the killer like a chicken without its head. Killers are for the police and the judge. That's what they are for. My dad's job would be to stay at home and comfort my mom and my siblings. That's a real hero in my opinion. In fact, I have a great example from real life why this can be a terrible decision: in Switzerland, where I live, there was a big air plane crash about 10 years ago. More than 100 people died. A few days after the crash it came out that the reason for the crash was that an air traffic controller hadn't slept enough that night and made a very small - but huge - mistake. When he thought two planes were crashing, he told one of them to fly higher and the other one to fly lower. But because there was hill and the second plane was already flying low, it crashed into a forest. On that plane was a Russian family: a mom and three little kids. All of them died in the crash. The only surviving people were the dad and his little baby who had stayed in Russia. A few weeks later he fly to Switzerland, found the air controller's house, rang the bell and when the guy opened, the Russian man killed him with a huge kitchen knife. Now instead of taking care of his only child, this baby has to grow up in some crapy Russian foster home. What's the point of that?

What Girls Said 3

• I can answer from my uncles' POV

They jump to that because they love the family way too much and if something happens to one of them (by outsider), specially to the women in the family, they become filled with rage. (Not all, the older ones are able to stay calm and make rational decisions).

Anyway, it's a rage that sets off.

For me, I cannot kill.

I am aware of the consequences

• So me not wanting to murder someone who murdered a family member or friend of mine mean I don't love them as much as someone who would carry out the killing?

• Most people who say they would kill don't have the guts to carry it out and it's just talk.

• No no, I didn't say that. I was just saying why those who immediately mentions about killing.

Those who don't want to jump to conclusions are just more rational in my opinion.

• I have no idea. I was watching a real crime show where a daughter was murdered & the dad went to go find the guy who did it so he could kill him. I told my dad (he was watching too) that the dad looks scary and my dad said he would do the same thing. I was like... But then you would go to jail so...

• I've never thought of killing anyone but for family and people you care about, you kind of go balistic when their hurt. Loving people takes a lot of mental capacity and in the end, when they die, a part of you dies with them. For many peiple that part is that part that just doesn't give a fuck anymore. However, you will later regret if you try to hurt others for revenge, just look at Sasuke.

What Guys Said 3

• I think it is because they think the justice system just having them linger around seems way inefficient, they want obvious results that are long-lasting to prevent these people from ever harming anyone again. The whole point is the removal of these individuals who are not willing to integrate into society from society, and by murdering them, they get no second chance. Not worth going to jail for it, though.

• If you walked into prisons like Scrubs and Broadmore here in the UK, you'd realise that you can't properly live there. And for someone who has a life sentence or two, it's a fate worse than death. Murdering someone who murdered someone you love is like wasting your own life.

• The core idea is that a person like that "doesn't deserve to live".

• I agree with both but where im from, you gotta take care of business

• It's a natural instinct. Many animals that are social and live in groups will kill in defense of their herd, offspring, etc. Even if killing in revenge won't actually protect anyone, it's still an extension of that instinct. I wouldn't really call that "jumping on the bandwagon" because that implies there just saying that cause it's cool. If they legitimately have that mentality, there not saying it just to be cool. I normally have good self control, but if someone murdered or raped someone I cared about, I would probably feel so much rage that given the opportunity I'm positive I would kill them and not feel bad. Besides if your whole family was murdered and you lost everything, what does it matter if you go to jail? I'd have nothing left to lose that I cared about.