Which science is the "highest"?

• Mathematics is the Queen of sciences
  • Physics
  • Chemistry
  • Biology
  • Philosophy (as according to Nietzsche)
  • other (please comment)
personally I'm torn between maths as a kind of "descriptive language off all things" and physics

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 28

• There isn't one. To argue one science is above another to is to argue objectivity that isn't there. Sort of like how new atheism attempts to press the concept of scientism (without the majority even knowing what it is).

There is no objective highest science because they're for explaining very different things. It's like when new atheists ask "ok Christians, choose one, God or science"

That's akin to asking someone to choose between Henry Ford and internal combustion for an explanation for the motorcar. One is the explanation of an agent, the other is a mechanism.

The same is true within science. You don't investigate evolution using physics. But different fields of science can provide answers to different areas of science within it. I. e astronomy and physics are often complementary in providing answers to similar questions.

The answer is we should use all disciplines of knowledge to provide answers to questions

• Mathematics is the only tool that allows us to understand things beyond our comprehension. In order to make sense of the microscopic and telescopic realms, one must use mathematics and not "common sense". I believe all the other options depend on mathematics to some degree. It is the philosophy that translates life and its phenomenons into numbers and symbols governed by a set of rules and principles that just happen to work. Such a powerful tool!

Voted A, although I would have loved to vote B since I am doing my research on a topic in physics.

• With out the capacity to analyze and question to see your own biasis and the biasis of society, to see your own limitations, what good do any of these do? I choose philosophy only in so much that it analyzes the self as much as the outside world and that it founded all else.

• That cunt math is a super necessary evil. One step lower are my bros Physics, Chemistry, Thermodynamics

• I'm not sure if math is truly a science so I put physics as the highest followed by chemistry and then all the "ology" sciences. Philosophy is not a science either and actually pretty similar to math. Both of them exist only in the mind...

• Some consider math, comp sci, logic to be "formal science" so maybe in that sense it's the highest

• That's cool I don't know a lot about computer science but I don't think it is superior to physics lol... I also don't think it is applied math unless you're talking about the theoretical components like P NP problems.

So I'd put C. S. as a practical science like engineering, health science, or exercise science, or political "science"

• Actually during the old Greek time philosophy was the mother of science so physics was considered philosophy until it developed and everything became some how separated

• I had to study all of them extensively in college except philosophy, took that class for fun. They all difficult in their own way. I never had a problem with any of them.

• I think mathematics

• Chemistry because all clothes, food and drinks are made due to chemistry. And also because I will study it in university :)

• Mathematics and physics.

• I love biology more than any other, but even I have to admit that physics is the pinnacle of science.

• philosophy in my opinion. philosophy is the most underated one (because it´s hard to earn mony with it) but it´s in my opinion the most valuable one since it is needed in all the other sciences, whereas the others only have some overlap.

• Physics or quantum mechanics.

• Mathematics. While strictly speaking not a science, it is the foundation of many other scientific fields.

• I wouldn't call it the foundation. It's more like a tool set for other sciences

• That sounds fair enough @hypno-trip. But a field such as physics would not be possible without maths outside of casual observations, in my opinion.

• I agree, math helps make the other sciences easier...

• Science of imagination... or quantum physics.

• Humbug! It's all just semantics.

• Cosmology. I think they were really high when they thought of that one

• They're all just as much science as the next. No such thing as "weak" or "strong" science. Though I think mathematics is the most objective one.

• astronomy its in the sky dude

• Physics and math, those things I am great at it and they r fun :)

• Economics. ---

• Why only Nietzsche's philosophy?

• I would say chem. but Im a biology major and its hard too

• Really chemistry? lol

• yes... try taking organic chem 1 and organic chem 2 lol I got an A in physics 1 and 2 but ochem is hard

• Physics. If you really think about it, chemistry is simply a subset of physics. Furthermore, biology doesn't exist without physics (it's further down the chain).

Philosophy is more about human nature (ie, specific to our particular species) than it is about anything purely real.

Math is simply a description. It's like the words of language--not a real thing, but useful for communication. Math isn't science. It's just words that happen to be numbers, and either words or numbers can be used to express things that aren't true or based in any kind of reality.

So physics, as both biology and chemistry are simple offshoots of it, and because physics deals with the real world and actual phenomenon.

• I don't consider math or philosophy a science. Philosophy is just philosophy and math is math. Both very cool but separate from science. Experimental/theoretical and quantum physics is your "hardest" science.

• philosophy, archioligy and historical biology are faking data in order to stay funded. Why elts would they put feathers on dinosaurs and proclaim that we came from apes. They ran out of things do study so they made some up and make the next generation study their "findings" because what student would publicly state that their master was a big fat fake?

• According to Sheldon, it's physics, but not necessarily experimental physics, it's more, theoretical physics

• The way I see it you can make a directed acyclic graph with 4 layes as such
    Sorted: [Maths, Physics, Chem, Bio].
    And edges (M, P),(M, C),(P, C),(C, B).
    With each edge saying which is strongly and directly needed for which.

In other words, I think maths.

• Physics! Though I feel the you need all to put the puzzle together!

What Girls Said 5

• I think the term 'highest' is a bit vague. What do you really mean with highest. I think every science is important and every science is connected to eachother, but I'm not sure if one is higher than the other.

• Mathematics doesn't count because you need that in basically everything. Just some fields use it more than others.

I was thinking like physics and biology, lol.

• There is this notion that mathematical sciences like physics and chemistry are above biology and philosophy.

I know it's stupid but I agree hahaha maybe I'm biased since I'm doing an advanced physics/math double major

• Depends entirely on how you choose to live your life

• Either physics or maths