Do you sometimes feel like you're leading a lesser life than your peers?

Sometimes I do. My life was at a standstill for almost a decade and I'm struggling to close the gap. It's hard not to compare yourself to others at times.

• Yes, I feel like most people around me are further ahead in their lives than me
  • No, I consider myself to be on an equal (or higher) footing to my peers
  • It doesn't matter. I just try to make my own life work and that's it.
The poll seems rather balanced so far

Most Helpful Guy

• At some point I totally veered off the path most people take through life, and have so far been unable to find my way back.

I really envy the people who do the conventional thing. Who can do it. Just go to school, go to college, get a job, marry, have kids, bring them up, grow old, die.

They make it look so easy, so obvious.

• For some people that life is just boring. Most people doing the traditional thing actually aren't all that happy. Just comfortable.

• Ah right right! Don't you have a really good ability to focus though or is that Aspergers?

• Think that is Aspergers. I have concentration problems lol. But I guess you could say that the fact that I don't socialize that much frees up time for other pursuits.

What Girls Said 4

• I feel like other people think I am leading a lesser life than they are but I feel happy. All of my girl friends have been married and are on their like 3rd-4th child now and i'm not in a hurry to get married and never want kids so I know people think that i'm not as far in my life as I should be at my age but personally i'm happy and just want to enjoy life my way so no I don't feel that way lol

• Sounds good to me and I'm in the same boat. I want a few years 'for me' until I seek a serious relationship again.

• I'm just trying to make my life work for me

• It's ultimately the best thing to do. But humans being humans we can't help to draw comparisons from time to time. I think I'm also starting to realize a lot better that you only have so much time on this rock before it's all over.

• Ah yes, I know that can be tough. My niece is a single parent and she doesn't have it easy. Luckily she can confide in me so I try to help her as much as I can. Best of luck to you!

• Thanks 😎

• Not at all. I'm doing better then a lot of my peers.

What Guys Said 7

• Yeah, because I live in the 8th richest county in the United States, but I'm not rich. Also, being forever alone doesn't make me feel better either.

• To be fair the divide between the rich and the poor in the US is staggering.

• Yeah, and then I feel like a dick for complaining because I'm probably better off than like 90% of the world being in the middle class in America

• I could have voted "B" or "C", but I went with "C", because regardless if I WAS "behind" in my life, I wouldn't care what others think about me, nor would I care at all myself. It's my life and I'll do whatever I can to make it work out.

To answer your question, I never think I'm leading a "lesser" life than my peers, primarily because I'm on the opposite end of the pole here. I'm far ahead than most of my peers. I've graduated from college, I'm somewhat financially stable, I'm independent and I'm a critical thinker. However, I don't judge others who aren't on the same level as me, just because I'm a rare exception.

• I do, but at the same time, most of my closer friends are kind of big shots (CEO, CFO in big companies, lawyers, doctors, Engineers or Scientists with PhD, etc) so I know the standards are pretty high for me.

• Yeap. Such factors can put tremendous strain on you. Do you simply like to engage with the more intellectual/highly educated crowd or do you hold a pretty good position yourself as well? If you don't mind me asking?

• Work hard and you can close that gap. I wish you the best! By the way if you are well-liked by your peers I doubt they really care about your 'lesser' credentials all that much.

• They definitely don't care, but it's more for me. Personal accomplishment and peace of mind, which essentially brings me closer to happiness.
      Cheers.

• I think I pick option C that would be close to my philosophy in life.

• Well the onlything im losing at is not being married but when I see how their women treat them I think im better of in that department too.

• To be fair, one does not have to get married to be in a very serious relationship. My parents didn't marry until after I was born and I know a good few couples who live together but have no further plans when it comes to tying the knot.

• I feel the majority of my peers are more ahead than life than I am post-college. I had to divert my career path, but now I am gung-ho and on the way.

No worries being a late bloomer. Everyone's time comes at different intervals.

• I don't think I am