I'm very curious to know as to what people from other countries have to say about America and why you have said opinion. I don't care if its mean too. I'm an American and honestly hate where this country is headed. Looking on leaving soon. It's turning into a race to see who has the most money the fastest.
Most Helpful Guy
Good question... let me first apologize for not being able to give lots of details because there is not enough space.
Well, I come from Switzerland and I consider myself a sort of a half-expert (consider to you as American, who is a real expert) on America because I have lived in the US and I study English linguistics and literature at University, which of course also includes American culture.
Now... I would phrase it like this: I absolutely love the US as a geographic region. I have travelled around quite a bit and it's doubtlessly one of the most divers and beautiful places on earth. You get everything from the hot, dry desert of Utah to the swamps of New Orleans, to the snow-covered Rocky Mountains, the open plains of the midwest and the vast forests of New England.
I generally like the people and I like their mentality (at least most of it ;-)). I like some of the culture, but some I also find absolutely stupid. Usually, the cultural aspects that have been corrupted by money are the ones I hate.
What I absolutely hate about the US is: politics, religion and everything that is connected to it (puritan moral values, insane capitalism etc.). I can't give you a comprehensive list but here's some of the things I really hate about the US and Americans:
- The US would rather spend billions on war than investing in its own people. The infrastructure in America is literally shit. Crumblings sidewalks, streets and bridges, bad railway system, bad hospitals in some parts of the country etc.
- Social inequality is tragically high in the US and not many seem to care about it. When you're poor in the US, you're just considered a loser and lazy. Political solidarity is practically unknown in America (there is a great saying in Europe that goes: *I don't like to pay my taxes but I pay them with a deep conviction, because I care about everyone in this country". In the US, it's just everyone for himself).
- The media is absolutely terrible. It's sensationalist to a point of insanity.
- Partially due to the point before, Americans are absolutely paranoid. Americans are scared of terrorists, of rapists, of pedophiles... it seems like some creep is hiding behind very corner (yet, I was never in danger in the US!).
- guns. Seriously... why.
- All this whole gender and sex bullshit like calling sexually assertive girls sluts or calling stupid things "gay". Also American guys constantly having to prove they're NOT GAY... it's childish.
- Education. Now this is a tricky1