What do I feed birds?

My sister found a birds nest with two baby birds on our second floor living room window. It's night time and I do not see any parents, I want to give it a few days but I concern they might starve if the parents never come back

Thank you, I'll wait another day and watch it closesly, just so surprise there was a nest, the baby birds never made a sound

Most Helpful Girl

• The parents may be out collecting food. But if they don't come back soon, call someone who is trained to look after baby birds, like a wildlife carer or vet. If the chicks are still in the nest then they will need a specific formula at a specific consistency, depending on their stage of development up to 6 times per day. Its not as straight forward as just giving them some food.

What Girls Said 1

• They can eat canned cat food if they are big enough. I would leave them be another day though.

What Guys Said 4

• Depends on the bird. Some birds feed the chicks regurgitated food called crop milk. Others feed worms and insects and some eat meat

• The parents are probably out getting food - I saw somewhere it is a full time job to feed baby birds so they are probably always on the go.

• it depends on the bird and varies DRAMATICALLY, from worms to nectar to predigested seeds... Use the web to identify the type of bird then search for the proper thing to feed the babies.
    Just because you don't see the parents doesn't mean they aren't around... just a note of caution

• Leave the birds if they are in the nest the parents will most likely come back. Also if they do not call a local bird rescue they will tell you how to take care of them. I had this happen when I found an owl that fell from it's nest.