Why would someone join the military?

It's so wrong! We're just barging into other people's countries and shooting shit up because they don't live how we want them to. That's like them coming to America trying to shoot up everything because they don't like the way we live. It's so dumb.

Most Helpful Guy

• I love you haha :-). But seriously, you're very, very right about that. I totally agree. In fact, it's even worse than that. America hasn't just been barging into other countries because the other countries are different but because they have stuff that American (especially right-wing) politicians want - mostly oil. So that's like another country marching into the US because they wanna empty the money at Ford Knox or take over the oil resources in Texas. It's really not a very kind thing to do.
    People who join the military in America are frequently people from lower social classes (working class and lower middle class) who don't have good chances on the job market. The military - despite it being morally very questionable - offers a safe job and a pretty good income. But this whole social aspect just makes it even more wrong. Do you think any of the kids of super rich people in the US (including the politicians who start all these wars) would ever join the army? Of course not. So the whole things boils down to rich people making wars to get even richer and sending the poor people there to actually fight those wars and die at a very young age. How can anyone not think that's fucked up.
    Anyway, you'll like this song if you don't know it already
    www.dailymotion.com/.../xtazs3_bob-dylan-masters-of-war-graphic_creation

• If you don't like it then get the fuck out of my country

• Number 1: I'm not in "your" country
      Number 2: Don't be so rude just because I have a different opinion. The military is no golden cow, even if you think so. People (especially Americans themselves) swear about various branches of the US government themselves all the time, there's no rational reason why the military should be exempted from being criticized. You are welcome to provide rational arguments against what I've said... but probably you don't have any.

What Guys Said 12

• That isn't how it is. People join for many reasons. It's a job that unfortunately might cost you your life. The military doesn't do what it wants. It takes its orders from the president. Remember when the towers came down? I don't want to see that again. By the way I'm a vet of the navy and proud of it

• But people is just going to hate us more if we keep fighting them. Why don't we just leave each other alone and let it be over?

• Thank you crystalt

• My job wasn't killing it was maintaining airplanes

• You have a very skewed and incorrect view of what a military does. A military is the only thing keeping terrorist from taking over. Look at how many tens of thousands innocent people have been slaughtered in Africa and the Middle East. Those people and countries need help protecting themselves. Everyone deserves the right to be able to live and have a normal life. They don't need to be told what to do politically but they shouldn't be in fear of getting killed by a group.

• Okay. Now, let's try to think one step further. Ever wondered why these terrorists have come to existence in the first place? Do you really think they have just always been there? Did you know Afghanistan was a beautiful and very popular tourist destination until the 1960s where a lot of the Hippies got stuck while travelling to India? Did you know Iran once was a democratic country?
      Think again.

• Japan: This was not a terrorist attack in the sense we regard terrorists today. It was one nation attacking another. And it happened in a political climate that can absolutely not be compared to anything today. I mean... I could go into the whole history of the second world war now but you've hopefully learned that in school. To put it in a nutshell: Japan was ruled by a quasi-facist and imperialist elite that regarded the US as a threat. And even more importantly, America blocked Japanese money and put a trade embargo on Japan. There is absolutely NO situation in today's world that comes close to that. This was more than 70 years ago.
      When you're talking about the terrorists in "Africa", you're probably referring to Boko Haram in Nigeria. If that is the case, please inform yourself. Boko Haram was founded as a branch of Al Quaida and was closely tied to them until recently. They also have ties to terrorists in Iraq, so these countries ARE indeed connected.

• Did you know Iran once was a democratic country?

@BlueCoyote

Did you know they got the name "Iran" from hitlers "Arian race" and kept the name ever sense?

• Specifically, what country did we go into and just shoot shit up because they don't live how we want them to? What facts do you rely upon in making that statement?

• "That's like them coming to America trying to shoot up everything because they don't like the way we live."

-That's kind of the idea, BECAUSE that's exactly what they would do if WE did nothing. Sweet heart, it's called being evil. Evil DOES EXIST in this world.

• That's like saying: "This stone here protects you from tiger attacks. How do we know? Well, I can't see any tigers here, can you?"
      Have you noticed that 98% of the world's countries don't constantly invade other nations and yet, they are not being invaded? Costa Rica doesn't even have a military because they got rid of it in the 1950s. And yet - partially because of this (because they can spend their money on more reasonable stuff) - they are a very peaceful and prosperous country. So much so, that they're sometimes called the Switzerland of Central America.
      Evil does not have to exist. Evil exists because people turn their heads and refuse to see it. And that is just as morally wrong as doing evil.

• democracies, steal their oil, support idiots like the taliban (who would later terrorise their own people) financially and give them tons of weapons, attack them and kill their people for stuff they had absolutely NOTHING to do with (Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11, all those terrorists came from Saudi Arabia!) and so on. And then you wonder why these people hate the west. Seriously? That's like China invading the US, killing your children and raping your wife and if you justifiably get angry and try to kill them, they just say "oh, you get angry because we're here? Let's bomb you a little more, here ya go!" And because you've mentioned world war II before: did you know that the savior of the world, as the US likes to itself gave thousands of ex-Nazis and SS-members nice jobs and happy lives in America instead of putting them in front of the N├╝rnberg trials? Considering the historical backgrounds I can see why but it's still not ethically right. It's NOT what a "good" country does.

• And just to make one thing clear here because you probably think of me as an America-hater: I'm not. This is not supposed to bash the US. I love America. I just think America's way of dealing with the rest of world (politically speaking) is fucked up to put it lightly. America would do good to become more isolationistic again as it was back before world war I and instead solve some domestic problems. There are more than enough of those.

• Depends on the person, the nation, its laws and conflict. I wouldn't join the US military at this time. If I had a time-machine I would want to help my dad and my uncles fight for freedom in their country's civil war. Too bad their side lost. Too bad we lost uncle Peter. Maybe we will find a peaceful way to secede.

• I never saw the point of it myself but a lot see it as doing a service for their country.

• I'm joining to have pride in myself, my country, and for my dad with the added benefit of college aid.

• So other people have to die for that?

• I'll put it this way, life is unfair. Some will die, some will live. If I happen to be the one who pulls the trigger then so be it. I acknowledge all the innocent lives that are lost in the war but just like other people I'll just pile it under the category "defending my country from terrorism" or "keeping the peace".

• people who join the4 military can have many reasons. I almost got suckered into it, luckily i would of failed the test because of my Asthma ( i would of fought in Afghanistan after 9/11). Other people join because they feel like it is their destiny, career, want to be patriotic.

• I might be a fighter pilot when I get out of high school if I can't figure out what I want to be, it'll let me live on an adrenaline rush, give a new freedom, let me figure out what I want then pay for my college so I can achieve it

• I'm sure the people you bomb will be very happy for you.

• Yeah, because making new enemies is a great way to protect what you love.

Anyway, I would bear in mind drones. Not sure about the long-term prospects in being a fighter pilot...

• I actually hope to design the next generation of drones, that plan A after college, but if that doesn't work then being a fighter pilot maybe

• Because I wanted to go to college without debt. Now Im entering my second year of school and I get paid 2 grand a month on top of having books and tuition paid for. Does that answer your question?

• what a simplistic oversimplification. you're naive.

• Oooh you make me so interested about your thoughts.. if i am not wrong you in America side whose use it's power to control the world and countries like what it do in pakistan, palestine , iraq

• Personally I'd just let you over there just kill each other off. I don't think any of you is worth an American life

• Ok but if there wanna war so be it

What Girls Said 7

• Because it's one of the only ways poor kids can get a four year education, good insurance, or a decent pension. The military can give you a trade without having to pay thousands of dollars to a trade school or apprenticeship.

There is a lot more that goes into joining the military than killing. Please educate yourself on the sociological issues.

• It does come down to killing, though. That is the "service" the military provides.

• Why else?

In Japan you wanted influence to avoid a repeat of Pearl Harbour etc. Now it's more to do with influence in the region in general, including deterring North Korea.

In Germany, it was obviously to counter the Soviets, now it's Russia/other threats.

In the UK I guess it's general NATO cooperation on all the various conflicts both countries are involved in.

• @muspelhem_5

So it has nothing to do with nation building?

Though I will give you that that's the basic purpose of the one in England.

• You're right it is and guess what if America doesn't or were to stop that will be the first thing to happen.

So does that sound better?

• War is an incredibly lucrative business and they need employees. The army offers a stable well paid job with many career paths. You just have to be ok with being part of the war machine. Many people are fine with that, others not so.

• That's not how things work. Our military doesn't just barge in and start shooting the place up.

• Pretty much actually.

• @muspelhem_5 Very true. As in any situation, people need to see more than they want to. The various parts need to be viewed. There are way too many closed-minded people in this world who only see issues or a particular part of a whole. That gets us nowhere.

• Amen to that :)

• This one guy said to me he needed money for college.

• I actually wanted to join the military

• I've got a friend joining the Air Force solely for the free education.