u dont know Turks before roman :(

0|0
4|11

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the huns

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• Better fighters or greatest empire? Ghangis khaun had the greatest empire and by extention was a military genuis in his day. However The spartans where the only city in the world to not have walls (prior to gunpowder). They had a relatively small army an could have been potentaly overwhelmed if a city state joined up with another yet no one ever attempted it because ther incredible amount of training of there soldiers was so well known that no one wished to willingly go up against them. Then of course you have the vikings, they were brutal in there own right since the only way to get into Valhalla, a warriors paradise, was to die in combat. It was the most saught after death in there culture. The funny part about that is that in Valhalla you would fight in battle, die, come back and feast then the next day you would go back to war. They were also famous for there berserkergangers. They would rush into battle with out armor completely fearless of death, believed to be posessed of a spirit of either wolf or bear. There strength was believed to be unmatched and the only way to kill one was to wait until they came out of there battle rage when they would be to exhausted to defend themselves. Then you have the Maori, of new zealend who not only were fierce warriors but were known to cannablize there fallen enemy. That was an unpleasent surprise to the English exploreres who first made contact with them. Its also interesting to note that they are (to my understanding) the only indiginous group of people who where never conquered, despite the fact that they used wooden war clubs while the English had muskets and gunpowder. In short it all depends upon the circumstances and the criteria you use to define there abilities.

0|0
    0|0
  • Genghis Khan and Atilla is at a tie.
    Rome and Greece is NOWHERE NEAAAR what those nomads had done.
    This... is the Mongolian Empire.
    www.peimag.com/.../The-Mongol-Empire-1206-1368.jpg

Then we have Atilla the hun which struck fear into the East Roman Empire and the soon to be Byzantians.
    www.globalsecurity.org/.../map-452-huns.jpg

But personally I prefer Atilla the Hun cos he has a cool theme.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhWaufQD9Uo

As far as WAR is concerned.
    Spartans might be fierce but not enough in the end.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where can we begin?
    Spartans were the quintiscential militaristic nation. Every persons life and purpose was to be a fighter and able to fight at any moment. From the moment they were born to they were subject to the rigors of being a soldier and fighting.

The Franks were quite adept at fighting as well and still have a nation named after them.

Dai Viet was quite adept at fighting off any army that came from the north.

Today, the Kurdish Peshmerga are quite militaristic in their lifestyle.

0|0
    1|0
  • Most people say Romans but I say Greece they bred the Spartans, the Spartans, a brutal people had arguably the most militaristic culture in history and bred one of the greatest units to ever be created, bred and trained from around age 7 to adulthood in nothing but the art of war.

Their most famous example of their battle prowess is the battle of Thermopylae were 300 Spartans fought at the front of the hot gates to the death agaisnt the Persian army numbering over 100,000 while several thousand Greeks secured their rear flank over the course of the battle which lasted 6-7 days and 6 nights ( Greeks didn't stay long they retreated after I think 1-3 days ) the spartan army killed over 20,000 Persian troops over the course of the battle. With an additional 10,000 killed by the Athenian naval fleet that was engaging the Persian fleet at the same time.

0|0
    0|0
    • r u serious omg :D?

• Show All
    • 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians. Nobody remembers them.

• @koullaras at the very end yeah but their entire army at the beginning was many thousand strong.

@Illusive_Man who knows, only they do, but I do that there was a unit specifically for gay soldiers which was the Sacred Band of Thebes and there was a later a gay spartan unit or spartan like unit that was destroyed by Greece because of their homosexuality I'll have to get more info on that though, it's been a while since I read it.

• Fighter as in war? For the time period over all, Us, Prussia/Germany, Britain, rome etc all come to mind. What exactly do you mean?

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course Turks.

1|0
    0|2
  • Roman Empire.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sparta, until 371 B. C.

0|0
    0|0
  • Romans spartans :/

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe romans but greeks withstood or win plenty of wars from ancient times till today

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Well the Romans are up there

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably the Romans, like a few others have already said

0|0
    0|0
  • agree, romans.

0|0
    0|0