' All men are bastards'...'All women are bitches'.. 'Nice guys never win'.. etc etc etc... Do we all generalise too often?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. Way too often. I think that's a classic case of the confirmation bias:
    Confirmation bias is a filter through which you see a reality that matches your expectations. It causes you to think selectively, but the real trouble begins when confirmation bias distorts your active pursuit of facts.

In other words, you'll run into one woman who's a bitch, or one guy you turn down and only notice was this mythical 'nice guy' in hindsight. If this happens a few more times, you'll take it as a universal truth. Complete rubbish, but I guess it goes to show how flawed our reasoning can often become.

What Girls Said 7

• OMG YES WE GENERALISE TOO MUCH. thank u @pt1911 for acknowledging my efforts :P I'm looking for #129 next actually.

• Yes. This is why so many people can never have productive conversations and end up walking around with basic, mediocre, miserable, negative, toxic mentalities that get them nowhere they want to be.

• Bastards are people born without their parents being married.

Bitches are female dogs.

Nice guys never win... They win sometimes just not all the time.

• Yes, we do generalize way too much.

• I rarely do.

• I really love your question Its SO true ^.^

• Yes, especially on GAG.

• 'All female users using the Anonymous tag b/n the ages of 25-29 are perfect...'

Fact or Generalisation? ;)

• That is the fact of all facts. LOL :)

• That is what i thought :)

What Guys Said 14

• Generalizations are how we make sense of complex phenomena. That being said, I think a lot of people forget that they're generalizing and lose sight of the complexity inherent in reality.

• Yes generalizations happen way to often over many things that we just get angry or frustrated about

• @justbanANNAz is keeping count of all the generalizations she's seen on here. Last time I checked she was on #125 I think

• A man who sees everything really sees nothing. To think is to focus your thoughts on one concept, in this case generalizing. We need to generalize to make it through life, otherwise there would be no businesses, and then no jobs, and no past experiences to teach us to be cautious of the future. This post tells me that you don't think properly. Are you a business owner? Or are you a technical worker?

• Yes, it sure seems like it... i don't judge others.. i like to give others a
    benefit out the doubt

• people now days are dumbasses we generalize because that is the majority of what people do or what we have experienced

it doesn't mean it's a absolute fact it just means it's the majority of COURSE there is a error margin

• No they're just salty and I feel for them, they just got dealt too many crappy hands

• Yes we generalize cause its our way of not having to get to know the person personally.

• The only stereotype i would merely support is "women are all dump". But ye, i see people generalize very much AND too often

• "Do we ALL generalise too often?"
    Nope.

• No, generalizations are not made enough.

• Sort of yes, but generalizing is one of our nature/innate ability.

• Third one is true

• The third one is true. Dunno about the other two.