16 credits for first semester freshman too much?

Is it too much?
(#)- Are credits
I'm taking 6 classes. UNIV100(intro to university life)(1), Precalc (already took to HS)(3), Philosophy (3), Athropology (3), English 101(3), and I'm part of a FIRE Program so I'm taking a class which is also 3 credits. So a I have a total of 16. Multiplied by 3 means I'm looking at 39 hours of work per week.

I'm not afraid to work hard. I want to know if any anyone else has ever had a heavy course load and how did you handle it?

I'm majoring in Biochemistry if that helps.

Most Helpful Guy

• I did 18 credits and a 20 hour part time job for my freshman semester.

It is doable but you have to be very careful with your time and be very good at prioritizing, if you happen to need a job it might help a lot if the job is one that allows you to read or do some homework while working.

One thing for sure, the level of work required is very much institution dependent, thus 18 credits at a tier-1 university will be very different from a tier-4 uni.

What Guys Said 8

• ehh its fine.

• With that work and school schedule it is possible, But you'll have no social life whatsoever. Prepare for that sacrifice.

• would u have time for yerself though?

• Of course :) I easily did 28 in HS while going to school for 8 hrs a day. I still had a social life and played sports. But what the work load looks like in uni.

• It depends on your actual capabilities versus the number of credits. I took more my first semester with no difficulty.

• It's not too much, but only do what you can handle

• I'm working full time and taking course online bridging. I'm currently taking 4 classes

• Only if you can't handle it

• Nah you'll be fine. Just don't waist time playing video games and actually make yourself study.

• Nah it's fine. I'm taking about the same amount

What Girls Said 1

• Good for you! 16 hours may seem like a lot, but if you're willing to put in the effort, it's a breeze. Keep up the hard work; just make sure you monitor your health. Stress levels can get high and knowing your limits when it comes to taking classes, working, volunteering, and extra curricular activities will help. Congrats! Best wishes. :)

• And as a suggestion, for every hour of lecture, requires three hours of studying. Especially as a biochem major. You've got this!

• Thank you! And I will :)