So where can I begin on being a video game designer?

You know like work major video game companies I know that I will need a degree and go to college but what class should I start first? Should I do basic art first?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I am in the art part of designing, so the first thing to do is the basics. Practice a lot, practice the form... different perspectives, lighting, poses. I have been taking art college courses since I was 16, and I still practice :)

I would also say go outside and take a sketch pad with you. Nature is a great source of inspiration; sometimes buildings, armor, weapons, creatures etc. all start with a variation of something the artist saw in nature. I go to the zoo & botanical gardens and bring my sketchbook with me, too!

I would also check out if there are any courses going on for Drawing 101 at your local college. Maybe not enroll in the university at first, but take one class. I did that for other things, and found I enjoy art the best.

While inspiration is good from artists you admire, I wouldn't try imitating them. With practice you will find you own voice so to speak, your style and there are companies out there that want a unique fresh take on characters, creatures, environments, etc. I wish you luck finding your style and hope you enjoy the experience! :)

What Girls Said 3

• LOL. Dude, you were gone for like 5 minutes. Why did you come back?

• Full Sail University. That's what I hear about video game designing anyway.

• I think computer science

What Guys Said 5

• well, you can begin right at home, learning how to code indifferent languages all on your own, and you can get a few certifications too without having to even sit in a classroom. I think that's a good start... then if you need further polishing, you can go to school for it if you really need that structure. Avoid taking basic art lol. That's not really a marketable skill. What's better is if you just start with computer science. Unless by video game designer, you mean the guy who comes up with all the concept art?

• in which state do u live? aren't there any related schools in yer area?

• Have you talked to a school counsellor or something?

• Depending on the school you choose it will be pretty straight forward. In my experience the modeling and rigging courses are important then lighting shading etc.

• I would say go to an arts school and talk to a counselor