Final Fantasy fans, a bit of help please?

Day 7 of the Summer Sale:

This probably isn't the question you're looking for or want to be here but this is the only place I have so here I go.
So, thanks to the Steam Summer Sale (praise Gaben), some of the Final Fantasy franchise is 50% off. I've been meaning to play these games for a while now and this seems like the perfect opportunity, as it's the summer holidays now :D
I've been hearing people say that it's useful to start on a good game, so you can get used to the whole thing. Final Fantasy 7 and 8 both appeal to me, so I think I'll get one of them. Are any of these a good place to start? Or should I be going for something else?

Thanks for your advice :)

• You should start with 7!
  • You should start with 8!
  • Doesn't matter AT ALL

Most Helpful Guy

• Praise Gaben our lord and savior amen, It doesn't matter where you start since all of them have different stories people say 7 is the best one I haven't tried it personally but all I hear are good things *I started with FF-13 and liked it, hope pissed me off with his constant B. S lol*

What Girls Said 2

• Personally, I like 7 more than 8 but nothing wrong with playing both and doesn't matter which game you start with.

• Final fantasy 7, x and x-2 are the best in my opinionthe story line for x and x-2 are so amazing 😧😢😢

What Guys Said 3

• Final fantasy 7 was big when I was a kid. I never actually played it but a few of my friends were pretty into back in those days so its probably good.

I remember seeing one of them playing it once and all I remember is a giant yellow chicken squashing something. Whether that's helpful information for you or not, I don't know.

• 7 8 and 9 are great too they are all great after x it became shit though.

• I'd wait to play seven did you hear they announced a remake of it at e3 today