Do you drive automatic or manual?

I'm curious to see how many Americans drive manual, since I know here most people drive automatic.

I also wanted to ask if it takes longer to get the driver's license if you go manual, and if it's more expensive.
In the future I wanna get my driver's license in the States, and I don't know if I should go for automatic, or for manual.

• AMERICAN: I drive automatic
  • AMERICAN: I drive manual
  • NOT AMERICAN: I drive automatic
  • NOT AMERICAN: I drive manual
  • I don't have my license

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm going to drive an automatic when I get my license. Most drive automatic in the US for the simplicity. And, where I am which is really hilly, a manual would be harder to drive. And it would have no effect on getting your license in the US, just whichever type of transmission you're comfortable with. I practice on my automatic but I kind of know how to drive a manual from the dirt bike I had.

And for costs, the manual would probably give you slightly better fuel economy from the weight reduction

• Thanks man ;)

• I'm from Spain.

• Oh, cool

What Girls Said 18

• I do not know about foreign drivers coming into the US: but for Americans there is no separate license for a manual. There is 1 drivers license and you either know how to drive manualor you do not. There is no authority that regulates it. I can remember my friend moving to Switzerland and talking about the automatic versus manual license.

• So they don't teach you how to drive manual?

• You'd be surprised at the differences. Seriously. Some states will require you to have your car inspected and meet certain standards as well. (This adds cost btw) I'm fortunate enough to live in a state that doesn't do that.

• Well, I hope in Illinois it isn't too complicated xD

• You probably mean American as North American but I am Canadian and refuse to be associated with the US wherever possible. I drive an automatic.

• Sorry if it offended you, it's just an abbreviation. I don't know what's more common in Canada, and since I live in the US I'm more interested in how things go around here, to adapt better.
      Why did you decide automatic?

• Literally the only car available to me. It's my mother's.

• I learned how to drive using a stick shift and I haven't drove one since lol I've always had automatics and always will.

I'm not really sure what you mean by taking longer to get a driver's license because of manual or automatic though? sorry

• I mean that if they teach you how to drive manual. If you drive automatic you just have to know how to get started and then accelerate, but if you drive manual you gotta know how to shift gears so that will take longer to learn.

• ooh ok, I see. Well I would suggest an automatic if you want it easier but it's really not that big of a deal either way, it's just a minor inconvenience in my opinion.

• I thought there might be some differences in how they test you, but it seems that there's none for what people have told me.
      Thanks!

• A but I really want to learn how to drive a manual car. :)

• I drive manual. I think this automatic prevalence is not just an American thing, but also Canadian thing, Australian thing, and UK thing.

• Oh, I didn't know that. I guess Canada makes sense, but I didn't know that British people and Australians also drive automatic more often.

• Well, in my country, it certainly takes longer to learn to drive manual, because you not only have to learn to change gear, but you also have to learn to drive 'economically', meaning you can't just drive on any gear, but the one that uses least gas.

• It's just a wild guess. I don't know if I'm right xD

• I drive automatic. Manual seems like it would be a pain in the ass and a distraction since you have to keep shifting gears the whole way.

• Unfortunately you need to be 18 in Greece to get license so I've 3 and a half months till I get there.

• I only know how to drive automatic I need to learn stick

• i don't have my license but i'm learning how to drive an automatic and i'm American

• Why automatic and not manual?

• Yeah, for some people even automatic is not simple xD

Thanks for the last part :)

• haha, right. and you're welcome!

• I can drive both :)

• Why do you know how to drive both? Well, why did you decide to learn both styles?

• Even in Europe most cars are automatic

• I disagree. In every european country I've been to, nobody drove automatic. And in my country I don't know anyone who does

• In Austria, my family car is automatic. I don't know if you can even buy it in a standard transmission.
      www.fashionatale.com/.../...mw-7-series-photos.jpg

• I just looked it up. Most cars in Austria are definitely standard, you are right. I don't not drive much, I guess it is just what I was used to. I thought only little cars were standard. My family car was pretty large.

• Well, I'm an American, and I own two cars (a Miata which is a 5 speed) and a Civic (which is an automatic). So depending on my mood of the day, I'll either drive the stick or the auto, lol. Stick is much more fun, though.

• I drive automatic :) Maybe will take courses for manual.

• How much did it cost you to get your license? And how long did it take you?

• Damn, that's very expensive, and takes a lot of time.

• You can pay with separate payments so its not as bad.

Yeah it takes a while but after the first year you can drive on your own just that there's a lot of "zero tolerance" for everything

• manual but i can drive both ofcourse. Im european

• Yeah if you know manual you know automatic, that's the advantage of knowing manual.

• I don't really know anyone who drives automatic

• I drive an automatic and I am an American. The school I went to only taught automatic, so that was the first car I bought. Some day I would like to learn how to drive a manual, though.

• I'm American and both of my cars are manual.

• Why did you decide to get them manual?

• I was taught how to drive using a manual. May sound silly but I feel more at one with the car.

• You're just like my dad, he says automatic is boring and doesn't feel that connected to the car xD
      I may not understand that feeling cause I don't know how to drive, but it's not silly, pretty common actually.

• I can drive either one but learned how to drive with a manual and to get your license in the US is no different from one to the other

• I heard it's way easier in the US. In Spain it takes months, cause you gotta go to class for a month or two, then take a written exam, then after you pass it you have to take a certain amount of practices driving a car before you can apply for the final exam.

What Guys Said 10

• automatic car, manual motorcycle.

• American.
    I drive an automatic, but I can drive a manual. Most everyone I know can at least somewhat drive a stick shift.

• Why do you drive an automatic if you know how to drive a manual?

• I don't see the point in driving a manual unless you're driving a sports car.
      Not to mention my truck was a gift from my parents. Just a hand me down.

• I can't drive

• It's not really "driving" to me if it's automatic.

• I can do both.

• Most British people drive manual, automatic is just lazy

• I think I am one of the very few college students in the United States who cannot drive. :(

• Nah, I can't drive either hahaha You're not alone xD

• Maybe it is because both of us are non-Americans; I find most Americans around me can drive.

• True, most of them do. It's very easy for them to know hpw to drive since they can get the license at 16, while they're in HS, while in most of the other countries you have to be 18, and that's right when college starts. That's why I don't know how to drive cause I started college before I was able to get my license.

• Automatic my coworkers make fun of me for it sometimes.

• Why? You live in the US, it's pretty normal to see people driving automatic.

• I drive an automatic, but I know how to drive a manual and I want one very badly.

• I can't drive stick, so I do auto.