Which language is easiest to learn for English speakers?

Here is a chart that lists the hours needed to learn a language:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Language_Learning_Difficulty_for_English_Speakers
This one also compares language difficulty:
http://theeasiestlanguagetolearn.com/

Your opinion on which language is the easiest to learn? Give reasons (e. g. grammar difficulty, similar vocabulary, easy pronouciation, ...)

Esperanto is probably easiest, but not very useful hence it's made-up.

• Spanish
  • Esperanto
  • Africaans
  • Dutch
  • Italian
  • Other (please state in comment)

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say dutch because of similarity to german which has a similar structure to English

What Guys Said 11

• Spanish.

I am in the middle of learning japanese... and dear lord learning Spanish was infinitely easier.

• Well technically it should be a Germanic language because of the similar family base, but it doesn't mean it's a cakewalk to become fluent in a Germanic language, in fact I'm actually taking German now in college, and while I don't find it to be too difficult grammar and pronunciation can be a bitch sometimes. But in my opinion, other than German, Spanish seems like a fairly easy language for an English speaker to learn because of it's simplicity.

• Guten Tag! Ja, Ich kan spreche Deutsch ganz gut, Schwedisch auch. Wie geht es Ihnen?

• Spanish and also German because there are a lot of similarities between English and German.

• Other= Swedish, I learned it
    Plus you can understand Norwegian and Danish almost as well.

Also, Esperanto is not a real language, my Psychologist told me this. It was created by the United Nations and is a mix of Spanish and other languages.

• I'd say French.

• dutch or german. same language family.

then imho french and Spanish, similar latin words.

• I agree on Dutch, but I think German is harder than that because of grammar. Spanish and French are fine, with French being a bit harder to pronounce

• French id say

• Canadian... ah?

• Sanskrit coz most of the English words were derived from sanskrit... or Spanish

• Any Germanic language thanks to Anglo-German grammatical similarities

• Dutch, because it's a Germanic language, just like English .

What Girls Said 9

• I'd say German or Danish. Danish has easy grammatic rules and German too. I'm Dutch myself and I've almost never met a foreign person who could speak Dutch fluently. Always with accents and mistakes even if they live here for years. Dutch has a lot of irregularities and different sentence build. Don't get fooled by Dutch being a Germanic language.
    I don't know why they say French is easy. French is a language from hell with lots of irregularities and sentence build is totally different, pronunciation is fucked up. It's not easy at all. I've got French for 6 years now at school and I might could order a coke at a restaurant, but that's it.

• I find Spanish and German quite easy but they have similar structures and roots to Welsh, which I have been speaking since I was very young.

Memrise I have found is a real good way to learn vocab
    http://www.memrise.com/mobile/?redirect=/

• Romanian, there are so many words in Romanian that are wrote like in English (some letter changes can be there too, but you would notice easily what it means) and mean the same thing (you just pronunce it differently).

• In my opinion I would say chinese (mandarin) and Korean... Koreans use a lot of English words in their grammar. As for Chinese (mandarin) it's not completely English words but there are some... You just have to have to use the proper tone to be understood... Like coffee equals Kaa-fei in mandarin.

• I speak both french and English so I'd say french is easier. Then when you are okay with french, Spanish is kinda similar so go for Spanish after french :)

• I've taken Chinese, French, Spanish and a little bit of Japanese and Farsi... Anyways I think the easiest is probably Spanish..

• Spanish, they're very similar

• Learning German now. Found it easier than French.

• french? . . . .