Which one is better? Being a Pharmacist or Medical Doctor?

Salary wise, flexibility and job prospects.

Most Helpful Guy

• At this point, probably a Pharmacist. They have fewer years of study, less student debt and require lower liability insurance.

There is a third option. Nurse Practitioner. NP are beginning to take on the role of doctors in most medical settings and they can even open their own practice.

NP only requires a few years post secondary education unless it is a demanding specialty like Nurse Anesthetist.

What Guys Said 7

• I think doctors can go much higher

• Medical doctor for me. This is the career that I'm choosing for myself.

• If you want to become a doctor just for the wage, then stop right there because you did not understand the point of being a doctor.

You become a doctor to help others and not to see your bank-account grow as fast as possible.

• 0|0
  • Pharmacist is less stressful but being a Medical Doctor pays more money.

• This isn't a good question since it depends entirely on what kind of M. D. you are.

• Pharmacist. You will slave your hours away as a doctor, plus have a lot to pay in liability insurance.

If you do decide on being a doctor, be a specialist to make more money, to make the extremely long hours more worth the time.

What Girls Said 5

• MD requires more years of education but has a higher salary
    they're both not easy

• Medical doctors average 200K, pharmacists 75K

• I think pharmacist is better because it's a bit easier overall.

• pharmacist

• Pharmacist makes less but they have more of a social life outside of work. MD's make more but they have to do a lot of call shifts and do not really get much of a social life. MD's tend to get burned out quicker than a lot of individuals' in healthcare. MD is more competitive it sounds like than a Pharmacist from what I gather as well.

It kind of depends in the end if happiness means more to you or wealth?