Do you think comparing yourself to others is useless and counterproductive?

This probably won't go away any time soon but do you think comparing yourself to others is ineffective and gives you a worse outlook?

For example lots of guys like to brag about how many women they get or have sex with and it means nothing in my opinion. There will always be people who have better luck or worse luck than you. I don't feel superior to ones I have better luck than nor do I feel like I'm inferior to those who have better luck. It doesn't define me or them for that matter.

You can apply this to anything really but honestly there will be people who have it better or worse than you in a lot of aspects of life so what you can do is measure yourself and compare your results for yourself to previous results.

Most Helpful Guy

• its not a good habit to practice in life.

• Agreed because you'll never be happy.

What Girls Said 2

• I agree with you.
    I heard that when you see someone better than you (richer? Etc), look at those who have less than you , so you should be just content with what you have... goes with what you said about.. having better luck or worst luck.

• Compare for motivation... but not stupid petty stuff like the number of people slept with

• Yeah depending on what you're talking about, then you could go to the successful people and see what gave them the success with whatever it is. That's one thing but to act arrogant about it is another.

• yeap^ I agree there

What Guys Said 2

• Be yourself and forget about comparing yourself to others.

• Not if you use it to push yourself foward.