Do artists starve?

Do artists starve?

This is the kind of art I do the best. Is there any future for it or am I destined to doodle on the boarders of a normal job?

Most Helpful Guy

• This is very deep. Almost Pagan. Actually quite erotic. I certainly think you have tallent, and should nurture it, even if it is just for your own pleasure. You never know what might come in the future!!

I really like them!! Now where's my wallet?

• Haha thanks man

• Aww c: I wish I could get some canvases or bigger paper to make things of sizes worth owning haha. But art supplies cost a pretty penny

• It doesn't matter about size or what artwork is done on. When it's done from the heart, a sketch on a piece of loo paper can be priceless.

What Guys Said 7

• They look good - You never know , some of the modern art stuff is out there.

• I just stared at the first one for like 2 minutes... all i could think was "what the actual fuck?"

But actually though... its um... pretty unique, so maybe you could make it in the art world. Maybe? 😅

• Thats some... well... pretty... interesting? art ya got there 0_o...

• Interesting drawings you got there

• The shadows... I can't handle it... too much talent.. the The jealousy..
    -explodes

• If they don't understand business, and/or they work in an art form that doesn't have mass popularity, then yes, they will starve.

Music, for example. Unless you work in popular styles and have significant backing, making a living is no longer possible--when was the last time you paid for music? Most people just steal it or use free streams today, and playing live just isn't the moneymaker people imagine (it's more of a liability, honestly). Plus, with the glut of people releasing free music to get any type of exposure they can get, the perceived value of music is "free." You can't run a business on "free." You MUST make a worthwhile profit, or you don't have a business.

Ask yourself honestly--how many people are able and willing to pay for artwork? Very few. For images, most people, again, steal them. Just do a google image search and take your pick. For the handful that actually purchase art, they purchase from auctions/etc for famous artists--for known works.

If you want work as a visual artist, then you need to be doing either graphic design for businesses (their brochures, catalogs, websites), or you need to be involved in the film/video game industry.

If you simply want to make the art you want to make (especially if it doesn't have mass appeal), then do NOT make art your profession--because you will starve.

• Depends you need to know how to market yourself. That's the most important thing..

Never give up, I've seen many ""weird"" arts and they were making money. But you need to follow your heart.

What Girls Said 2

• It's cool stuff.
    But, inevitably yes. It's crazy hard to just make it as an artist.

• as with practically anything, do something well and you won't starve