Can I consider myself Canadian?

I don't mean legally - I mean, can I describe my self as a Canadian - like it's a part of me? I wasn't born in Canada. I was born abroad. Lived there for 4 months and then traveled the world with my parents for a year and 4 months before coming to Canada. I had my permanent residence for Canada, a couple weeks after I was born - apparently.

I'm 16 right now and I came here 3 months before my 2nd birthday. The first season I experienced here was winter and I love the winter. The first holiday I experienced here was Christmas and I love Christmas. Of course I don't remember anything but looking at when I got here, these would be my firsts.

Hockey is my life. I play hockey, watch hockey and love hockey , just as much as I love this country. I've had no other home than this. I hate the country that I was born in quite a lot and I hate that all my legal documents say that i'm born there. Canada is the country i've grown up in - I've grown up like a Canadian. (p. s maple syrup is friggen amazing!! ) I'd do anything for this country. I've been singing the national anthem as soon as I started talking.

I've been in this country for 14 years. English was my first language and i'm learning french right now.
The way I feel towards this country, the fact that although I wasn't born here, but almost my whole life has been spent here and that I was brought up like a Canadian, isn't that enough to state that I truly am Canadian at heart? Isn't being a Canadian a part of who I am?

Most Helpful Guy

• You're Canadian eh? we're an immigrant country eh a lot of us weren't born here.

• You do have a point , eh. Too bad I wasn't born here XD I love this country and everything about it : our polar bears :3, maple syrup ( I use it on everything I can use it on XD It's friggen amaazing! ), hockey - I LOVE hockey but am lately feeling like a traitor towards the sport because i'm not born Canadian :(. I surprisingly do say sorry a lot and get agitated when some of the newer immigrants don't show respect during the national anthem in the morning. Yes, i'm protective over this place XD But Canadians have a reason to be, eh?

What Guys Said 1

• I think you are well within your rights to call yourself Canadian

What Girls Said 2

• Yes you may

• yeah you can.