GAGers: Be honest, how many of you did not know this?

A lot of people use the terms "Hispanic" and "Latino" interchangably, thinking that they're synonymous when in reality, they're different. "Hispanic" just refers to Spanish-speaking countries, which happens to also be almost every Latin country. "Latino" refers to the geography (coming from or having ancestry in Latin American countries). But not everyone who is Hispanic is also Latino, and not every Latino is Hispanic.

Spaniards are Hispanic, since they speak Spanish (duh). But they are white, not Latino.
Brazilians are Latino, but they are not Hispanic because they speak Portuguese.
Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Colombians, etc. are both Hispanic and Latino.

I just felt like stating this because as both a Latino and Hispanic, it's annoying seeing and hearing people use those two terms as if they meant the same thing.

• I did not know the difference.
  • I already knew the difference.
  • I am Latino.
  • I am Hispanic.
  • I am both.
EDIT: Instead of "white", I should've written "European", but yeah everything else I said still stands

Most Helpful Guy

• Any of these can be any race except Latino. Latinos are typically white. Hispanic is a ethnicity. They have a specific culture. Spanish is a part of that. Latinos come from the Latin ancestors in Greece.

The Puerto Rico, Mexico, and Colombia part is true but I never thought of that lol. Very true though.

You're right. A lot of people use those terms interchangeably but they are different. Also neither again has much to do with race. To me there are only three races: Black, white, and Asian.

• Also, I'm sorry Latinos have a culture too. Sorry if I offended anyone. It's just Hispanic culture is more defined... at least in my mind.

• Yeah that makes sense. Especially given how spread out Latinos are in terms of geography.

Oh okay :).

• Actually I misspoke a bit about our cultures. While Latinos and Spaniards DO have some cultural similarities (since we got a lot of our culture from them), our culture is still very different because it has a LOT of Native American influence too.

What Girls Said 12

• Dude! I've been so confused with this! I was planning to google it and educate myself a little which you already did, so thanks :) and I guess I'm both too.
    I've noticed that so many people believe hispanic or latino is a race when in reality, we can be of any race, any ancestry, and any ethnicity.

• You're welcome! :)

And yeah I know what you mean. Latino isn't just one race because all Latin American countries have European, African, and indigenous origins, so we're all actually mixed. The only reason why Latinos are called that is because of our locations being Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.

• i kind of had a feeling because iv heard people identify as hispanic but then they speak Spanish... so I'm like okay?
    in my mind I'm like... so theyre... white Spanish people. lol

which is kinda what ur saying i guess.

• Thanks for clearing that up :)

• Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know this. Now, I know how to use the terms.

• I didn't know the difference

• Finally! I never knew the difference.

• I actually did not know this. Thanks for letting me know :)

• Interesting! I'm probably not going to remember that (but I don't usually refer to people in such a manner anyway).

• Yay I was right all along xD
    Brazilian here, always selected Latino when asked

• Phew knew it
    but thanks for clearing that up, I always thought this but wasn't entirely sure

• YEAH HAD NO IDEA THO
    BUT IMA STILL DO IT

• I have puertorican and Dominican friends and they call themselves Latin and other times Hispanic.
    Even they don't differentiate the two terms

• Well that's fine, it's more convenient for us to just say one or the other instead of having to say both. This question was more directed at those who AREN'T Latino or Hispanic and who don't know the difference.

What Guys Said 6

• Well, technically Portuguese should also be considered Hispanic because Portugal was part of Hispania, which is the root of the word Hispanic. This also applies to Andorra.
    The thing is that we in the Iberian Peninsula (Spain, Portugal, and Andorra) don't consider ourselves Hispanic, we only say Hispanic to those that live in Hispanic America (or Latin America).

• Well yeah history wise the Portuguese would be considered Hispanic, but other than that they are not.

And yeah I understand that you guys don't use the term, the term was just made for others who aren't Hispanic or Latino so that way they wouldn't mix us up.

• It's not easy to say what ethnicity someone is. The south of the US belonged to Spain, that's why the states and the cities, streets... have Spanish names, so then those people born there are considered Hispanic too? That's why Hispanic only refers to people that belong to Hispanic America.
      Also, it is also said that Latinos are those that are descendants from people that spoke Latin or a language that comes from Latin, therefore, French, Spaniards, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian are Latinos too, cause all those languages come from Latin, and all of them are considered the Romance Languages.

• sadly not a lot of people know the difference.

• Knew, but still good you put it here
    it'll help a bunch of people out

• Despite the similarites, they're still different, as you said and I'm "Latino" or "Hispanic". I wouldn't lump these two words together because then you'd have to include Haitians and Brazilians when using Latinos (despite that Brazilians and Haitians don't speak Spanish, they both still speak the romance/Latin Languages).

To be honest, I prefer to call myself Latin American rather than "Hispanic" or "Latino" It's less vague and and differentiates from the original Latinos (Latin Europeans).

• Latino r kinda darker i guess... that' wot i always assumed

• Latinos are of mixed blood, we have all different shades. A lot of us are dark/tan (especially in Central and South America), and a lot of us are more Caucasian (especially in the Caribbean).

• Tu madre!!! jaja