Is death necessary?

Obviously hearing about thousands dying in a foreign country or a close relative or friend dying is horrible and of course nobody wants to die, but it's kind of necessary.
Disease, Natural disaster, Murderers etc all slow down the rate of human population growing. Over population contributes to things like poverty, climate change and stuff like that, so I believe death is necessary. For humans, at least. Do you agree or disagree or have another answer?

• Agree
  • Disagree
  • Other answer

Most Helpful Girl

• Disasters, murders, disease, all that is heartbreaking, but I do think it's kind of necessary. I think we've shown as a whole that we're going to just happily pretend the earth has infinite resources and that our huge, growing population isn't a problem at all, so... obviously we're not doing anything ourselves to be responsible. So death is necessary. :(

Not that murder is fine. Most types of killing (self-defense can be okay) should, of course, stay illegal. But I wouldn't mind if we started making overpopulation a public issue, get it in the media, consider encouraging people to scale back on the huge families (I don't mean making life horrible for them with legislation, but if we can better educate people on birth control, make it more easily available, for example, I bet that would help).

• Thanks for MH. :)

• Np 👍🏽 You seem to be the only one who understood the question

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it is the wrong question to ask whether death is necessary. Because nature doesn't know this sort of purposes. Of course we could argue that death is necessary to protect us from overpopulation but that's not why it is actually happening. There's no inherent purpose for death, so it can't be necessary or unnecessary, it simply just happens.
    I also don't think it's a bad thing. That's not to say I'm suicidal. I just don't have a personal problem with it. I find it a bit too much sometimes when I see all these people (especially in first-world countries!) shitting their pants because they're so scared of death and praying to Jesus and Mohammed and whatnot. It's just death. No big deal. It's sad for the ones left behind (I've lost people myself), but being dead is actually very unspectacular. When it happens, it happens. That's just the circle of life and it makes me happy I am part of the natural circle. I'm not one of those human beings who wants to be something better, who thinks he's some kind of special something and god has a special plan for him. To the universe - and even to this world - I am very unimportant and once I'm dead, the memories of me will soon die with the few people who knew me very well and loved me.
    All I wish for is to die at a nice age (70+) and in a nice, painless way. As long as these things are provided, especially number 2, I'm all fine with death. And once I'm dead I won't care anyway.

What Girls Said 5

• I see your point.
    But tbh its something an evil villain would do.
    Decrease population for what again? To have more room for more growth of population? Because the cycle would continue.
    Or poverty and necessities like food and water. Doing this is to protect humans, naturally. But killing a mass of the population would be counteracting the main reason.
    By decrease in population you have to mean the mass because few or few hundreds dying every day is nothing compared to the population of the whole world so the only way it would actually make a difference is to kill a whole.
    And, thats like terrorism and mass murder and its totally barbaric.

• I even confused myself with this. Didn't know it was possible for me to actually reason with logic lol :/

• Ugh lets just let bygones be bygones. I'm sorry if I disrespected you in any way.

• Again.
      You left that "ever so lovely" comment while I was typing up my message so I never saw it.
      And yes, you should be sorry.

• We all die of course but that doesn't mean it should be okay to take someone's life which is why murder is wrong. Natural disasters are beyond our control so we don't have power over that and some diseases can be cured thanks to medicine and research. Death happens to I agree to you in regards to that. I don't want to live forever either. The idea of that depresses me more for some reason.

• ... it's not a matter of necessary or unnecessary. death is inevitable. that's pretty much it.

• It isn't necessary, death is inevitable.

• Agree... I don't think most people would want to live forever. I believe in the afterlife as it is.

What Guys Said 7

• The scary thing unless we learn to support an expanding population - Immortality would cost an awful lot of problems.

• Is the choice, not to die even possible?

• No, that's not what I'm asking.

• Well, hey at least you've lived a full life and the memory of you will be passed down from your grand children to your great grand children.

• Actually you're pretty lucky. My dad is 75 and i'm 15 he might not even live to see his grandchildren. :/

• 1|0
  • I don't say that death is neccessary, but it's coming and can not be avoided, wether you like it or not

• Death is not necessary. It's just something we have to accept will eventually happen.

• everything has a beginning and an end... duh..

• you don't have to think about death , who cares about life after death?