What are literary nerds?

Does anyone else get really annoyed by people saying they are book nerds or others are book nerds because theyve read all the popular books and love them? Like, there are posts everywhere saying this, and they only talk about John Green stuff, Hunger Games, Divergent, Harry Potter, etc.
I really enjoy all of these, but I don't think that someone just being a big fan of them makes them a literary nerd, and no offense to anyone, but I don't read a whole lot of anything else, and I don't really want to be classified as a nerd.

If someone was a literary nerd, wouldn't they read a more diverse selection? Not just even more popular fiction, but also classic novels, poetry, essays, and actually try to expand their reading? Myself and a lot of others I know probably wouldn't be bothered to put that much effort into reading.
What do you guys think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nerd is not the term for that. It is geek. People always mix them up.

• So is geek the person that mainly goes for the more well-known popular stuff?

• Not necessarily.. Geeks can have interest on anything that is niche that they know a lot of stuff about them. For example Harry Potter geek, Divergent geek, Computer geek, etc.. Nerd are more into academics like physics.

• Ah ok, thanks!

What Guys Said 2

• I would thought geek more appropriate

• People who do extremely well in school.
    The insult was coined by douchebags who couldn't cut it and had to belittle the hard studying students.

What Girls Said 1

• I think that if all they read is what's popular or being turned into a movie, they're just band wagoners. Or at least they shouldn't call themselves book nerds if they're only reading the book to compare it with the movie.