Should guns be banned in America?

Personally I am anti guns. Maybe it's easy for me to say that. Living in the UK having not experienced gun culture. I understand that if someone has a violent mentality and wants to kill people then they could find a way with or without guns. However, logic dictates that a ban on guns should reduce shootings such as Charleston and other instances when some idiot has gone to a school and killed children. It should also put a stop to senseless killings where children have found a gun of a family member and accidentally killed someone.

I know this is a big difference between the UK and the USA. I think most most people in the UK find it crazy that so many households in America own a gun.

• Ban guns
  • Don't change gun laws

Most Helpful Girl

• The problem is, how do you define a criminal? Someone who breaks the law, correct? So if someone is going to kill people, do you think a ban on guns is going to stop them from getting a gun? Absolutely not. They're a criminal. Breaking the law is what defines them.

All a gun ban does is keep guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. People that would not have a gun if there was a law against having a gun. So now all the criminals have guns, and none of the innocent people do. Now all the criminals have guns AND all the criminals KNOW none of the innocent people do.

Do there need to be strict rules and regulations? Of course. But I'm from the country, and there have been several instances I can recall in which a criminal was stopped from committing a crime out here because the victim had a gun. I cannot think of one instance in which someone who was legally allowed to have a gun, broke the law with it, where I'm from.

• I guess maybe in rural areas where people have a rifle on the farm.

But the fact is that American guns are turning up all over the place, including in the Mexican drug war, where the majority of the guns come from the States.

It seems that any regulation has been so diluted by the NRA as to be totally ineffective.

• @CincinnatiRedsfan, you don't need to be condescending. I have two degrees, I understand what a FALLACY is. I just think you're throwing the term around because you disagree with me. There were several FALLACIES in your last argument.

• @vmw2008 I never did make an argument... and I never did use any fallacies. I was just recognizing the fallacy in that statement. Not to mention having a degree (or two) has nothing to do with recognizing fallacies anyway. I wasn't being condescending either. I've realized you actually put effort in your argument, where as most people on GAG would say "Anyone who thinks guns should be banned are stupid." I've also seen your posts on other questions and you seem to be smart.

Personally, I think banning guns is stupid because it's not fair to the people who rarely/never commit violent crimes, however, I DO support gun control measures (for the most part.) Contrary to popular belief, supporting gun control does NOT mean someone supports a gun ban. I support the following measures: 1. Criminal background checks, and 2. Solely banning semi-automatic and automatic guns (NOT handguns or rifles.)

If you want to know why I support those measures, message me.

What Girls Said 8

• I think the gun laws should be more liberal. Only criminals soon will have guns. Let's face it, gun laws only punish the lawful gun owner, not the criminal. I personally think that I would fare MUCH better against a male attacker with superior strength if I had a gun.
    You know this too.

• Lol, there are mountains of data that repute your claim.

• Well, the firearms aren't the problem. Crime rates skyrocket in places where guns are banned. They plummet in places where guns are plentiful. (Look at burglary rated in the UK since their ban.) In Switzerland, there are not a lot of crimes and all men are armed. Every house has a fully automatic weapon. Go to Switzerland. It is quite safe.

• Look at this graph. It shows a dramatic rise in homicides after their gun ban.

2.bp.blogspot.com/.../...+December+22,+9.26+PM.png

• "A principal source of errors and injustice are false ideas of utility. For example: that legislator has false ideas of utility who considers particular more than general conveniencies, who had rather command the sentiments of mankind than excite them, who dares say to reason, 'Be thou a slave;' who would sacrifice a thousand real advantages to the fear of an imaginary or trifling inconvenience; who would deprive men of the use of fire for fear of their being burnt, and of water for fear of their being drowned; and who knows of no means of preventing evil but by destroying it.

The laws of this nature are those which forbid to wear arms, disarming those only who are not disposed to commit the crime which the laws mean to prevent. Can it be supposed, that those who have the courage to violate the most sacred laws of humanity, and the most important of the code, will respect the less considerable and arbitrary injunctions, the violation of which is so easy, and of so little comparative importance? Does not the execution of this law deprive the subject of that personal liberty, so dear to mankind and to the wise legislator? and does it not subject the innocent to all the disagreeable circumstances that should only fall on the guilty? It certainly makes the situation of the assaulted worse, and of the assailants better, and rather encourages than prevents murder, as it requires less courage to attack unarmed than armed persons." - Cesare Beccaria, Essay on Crimes and Punishments

• Because those people didn't have guns to protect themselves, they were murdered. Whether we ban guns or not, people will still find a way to get a hold of them...

• Do you think if they did have guns this incident would have been avoided?

• Not necessarily avoided because he probably would've went in there anyway, but maybe there would have been fewer deaths if they had the protection with them.

• Something got to give but we can't out right ban guns because the right to bare arms is written into our constitution. Congress would have to pass an amendment to do so which is never going to happen.

I have a friend that has over 100 guns...

• Because making drugs illegal as really effectively stopped people from taking them, right?

• Handing out drugs to people would make more people take them as they would think it's fine because it would be legal.

• @KeeperofMee That is a poor argument. Gun shop owners here in America don't just hand guns out. They put you through a criminal background check, and even when you pass it, you have to wait at least a week before you actually get a gun.

• @linkywinky If hardcore drugs were legal, there would be a huge increase in drug use. We're currently experiencing the lowest illicit drug use rate of all time in the United States.

I'm not saying guns should be banned but this is a poor argument.

• Ban guns.

I'm from the UK as well and so many times people have said they need their guns to protect them. Why? If you need a gun to protect you, you're doing something very wrong in life...

• Or sleeping in bed when a murderer breaks in

• I didn't dismiss it without reason @dudeman. Every country has that threat. Countries without guns don't see it as essential. So why do you?

• And thats not a reason to ban guns. Its like the saying if your friends jump off a bridge will you do it too. Like I said you dismissed it without reason.

• I am anti gun too. But you can't ban them like in a second. Because it is more like an cultural thing there.
    What has to be done is I think, they need to think why they need gun? What are the reasons? They have to work on that.

• Oh you're going to have fun with this question!

What Guys Said 36

• well I understand the different standpoint from being raised in the UK and the US. so I guess my opinion is easy for me to say im for guns, if I had to be objective about it though, I suppose its a good thing to own a gun because sure people use guns to kill other people but if guns were banned then people would only find other means or get a gun illegally and now the person who follows the law and has no gun is fucked lol.

• Yes, this is the great dilemma about gun bans.

• And you don't think that criminals already get their guns illegally as they can't be traced in the same way as if bought in a store? And if the other person doesn't have a gun do you really think they would be as likely to shoot as they would have the advantage and wouldn't have to fear that the other person would shoot them first?

• @KeeperofMee regardless of how they got their guns, it should be a right for everyone to have a means to protect themselves as efficiently or as easy as they can.

• I am British too, and I support the right to bear arms.

We have violence, including gun violence, all the time in this country. The difference here is that law-abiding, peaceful people don't have guns.

Culture is very important. There are countries with very similar gun laws that have hugely different gun crime levels. There are countries with hugely different gun laws that have very similar gun crime levels. For another example, mass shootings in America are a pretty modern phenomenon, even though gun laws were much more lax in the past, and interestingly many of these mass shootings happen in places with tighter gun restrictions.

I would also point out that the stat used is often gun homicide, rather than all homicides. In the ranking of all homicides, America far down compared to its ranking for gun homicides. A homicide is a homicide.

You have to have the means to defend yourself. Unless you want to live in a police state, the police cannot protect you while a crime is actually taking place, except in rare coincidences.

• The self-defence argument is void. People are more likely to shoot themselves or a family member than a criminal.

Also, it's just an arms race. The very fact that homeowners have guns guarantees that all criminals will be packing heat.

It's the same reason why only idiots carry knives when they go out. Because it's an escalation and increases your own risk of serious misadventure.

• Ahh, we have ourselves an idealist.

Again, the only countries with higher homicide rates than the U. S. are Second and Third World. The U. S. homicide rate is six times what it is in my country.

That is true. But semi- and fully automatic guns make it a lot easier. And Charles Whitman carried out a mass shooting back in '66.

Fair point.

• @muspelhem_5 Why am I an idealist? And how is that an argument?

I should also point out that a regulation is not a suggestion. It is a dictate backed up by the barrel of a gun. So, actually, you are in favour of gun violence, or at least some instances of it.

It is not true that it is only "second and third world" countries with higher homicide rates. But, even if it were true, how would that be relevant exactly?

Well, for example, Switzerland has four times the private gun ownership rate that Denmark has, but Switzerland has a lower homicide rate than Denmark. So, what's your point? I refer you back to what I said in my original answer.

I didn't say that mass shootings never happened. I just said it's a new phenomenon.

• I didn't vote because I don't agree with either notion in your poll.

To answer your initial question, NO, I don't think guns should be banned in the United States of America. I think people should have the freedom to own a gun and use it solely for protection of their households OR hunting for FOOD PURPOSES ONLY.

With this being said, I also agree we need to change most of the gun laws in my country. I don't agree with open conceal, because I think it's more dangerous for everyone to carry a gun in public places. Sure, people argue "They can protect themselves" but people also seem to forget there would be less DANGEROUS people with guns IN public places if open-conceal didn't exist in the first place. I also don't see a reason to own a sem-automatic or automatic gun for "protection", because when it comes to a life or death situation, a regular pistol or rifle will do just fine. It should be no surprise my country has the most mass-shootings per capita, and this can be largely blamed on the fact we allow people to buy these type of guns. I also think we should have criminal background checks for EVERYONE!

Unfortunately, most Americans don't agree with me. Despite the fact we're one of the most violent countries in the world. Most countries with strict gun laws have very low crime rates in general. Also, the states here in my country with the strictest gun laws have the lowest crime rates too. The number of guns owned is virtually always related to the number of crimes. Of course, Americans love to deny evidence as well. They keep using catchy slogans such as "guns don't kill people, people kill people" or "It's our second amendment rights", and they even say "more guns mean less crime." These look great on a bumper sticker but are total fallacies in arguments.

I'm one of the few Americans who uses common sense, analytical skills and critical thinking skills.

• Banning might be too far but the gun laws there are crazy and mostly come from an irrational fear that their government will turn on them and evolve into an evil 4th Reich determined to give them free healthcare.

I believe that their gun laws are WAY too relaxed and should be made stricter.

I also believe that having guns among the civilian population in such numbers won't stop their government from going 'dark side' if it wants.

Unfortunately, I also believe that this debate is academic and nothing will be done as thousands of Americans will continue to be killed in ridiculous circumstances. Who only knows how many will be killed before something is done.

• @Riverock, regarding the "... fear that their government will turn on them..." is really what the American Revolution was about. That's truly why the second amendment exists, because the founders KNEW that a strong government anywhere is fully capable of oppressing its own people.

• @Editor That's another weird American trait. This belief that their founding fathers were prophets.

Anyway, if that's the worry, why not limit the amount the government can spend on its army? The guns that Americans seem to have is more than enough to kill the many people that are being killed. I doubt it's enough to stop a hypothetical evil US government and it's military. Also, they could oppress their people without using force or even letting their people know they were being oppressed.

• They weren't prophets. They just finished fighting a war less than 10 years before the U. S. Constitution was written so they knew the importance of what they put in it. They were drawing from experience, not predictions.

I like having the right to protect myself more than the hope everyone else treats me well and takes care of me. This attitude is hardly unique to the U. S.

• Guns are not the problem. The psychos who get them are.

Do any of you who are anti-gun HONESTLY believe that if we took guns away from law-abiding citizens, gun-related crimes will end? Do you REALLY think that criminals would obey the gun laws? They're CRIMINALS, they BREAK laws.

By voting to take away guns from law-abiding citizens, you are essentially turning everyone into a sitting duck. A group of bank robbers with shotguns and automatic rifles isn't gonna stop in front of the door and be like "Oh shit we can't bring these inside, it's a gun-free zone!" Only a fucking idiot would think that any criminal would have that mindset.

Oh, and before any of you try to say things like "Well if we took away guns, we wouldn't be getting all these shootings recently, blah blah blah":

One, more shootings have been stopped than caused thanks to people having a legally owned gun. And two, lmost every single shooting that's occurred in recent American history were at gun-free zones.

Virginia Tech? Gun-free zone.
    Columbine? Gun-free zone.
    Aurora movie theater? It was the only gun-free zone within a 20 mile radius.
    Sandy fucking Hook? GUN-FREE ZONE.

Do any of you even know WHY the killer chose Sandy Hook to commit his crimes? He did it BECAUSE it's a gun-free zone, as in he KNEW no one would shoot back!

Here's a little fun fact for you guys: Every single person behind those mass shootings either fake being sane in order to acquire their guns, or they took the guns from their law-abiding parents.

The REAL solution that we need is to both improve mental healthcare in the US, and enforce more efficient background, mental, and drug tests before one can own a gun. NOT by taking them all away.

And to those in the UK who think they have a say in whether or not Americans shouldn't have guns: Piss off. The only reasons why gun control worked for you is because you don't have a Constitution, AND you guys are apparently not responsible enough to even own a gun.

• Gun violence has decreased in the United States dramatically in the last two decades, firstly.

Gun banning, and even less extreme measures such as banning concealed carry, have a dramatic effect in promoting crime. Almost all people intent on committing a crime can get a gun, whether or not it's illegal--why should they be worried? If someone is mentally disturbed enough to want to kill random people, they are surely not afraid of taking the minimal effort to get a gun illegally. And statistically speaking, this is what happens.

Gun control does NOT decrease gun violence. It opens a wide field of defenseless targets for a sociopath who is going to have acquired a gun whether or not it is technically illegal for him to do so. There is no sign more attractive to a shooter than "Gun-free zone."

It is concerning, to say the least, that more than half of GAG thinks an idea like gun banning would work... It not only would not achieve the desired results, it would have catastrophic effects.

• You're anti-gun because, like me, you live in the UK where we don't have a Constitution allowing us the right to bare arms.

I believe that setting up a gun law which would restrict normal civilians from owning guns would cause an uproar just like that of Prohibition.

I also believe that such a law would be unable to pass, no matter what.

I spent a month in the US at a family friend's home, they own 3 M4 garand rifles and a sawn-off shotgun. They love them and actively use them in their backyard.

Holding one and firing one really does give you a sense of power - you're God of Nature almost.

When the family friend took it away, I actually felt very vulnerable funnily enough, even though I knew I would never be at harm there... this is what would happen if you stopped American Citizens from having their own weaponry.

I am totally for anti-gun laws in the US, but unfortunately it's not my place.

• Neither side really listens to sense, so I just don't get involved.
    http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/55579884.jpg

• Absolutely not, while stricter gun laws and better policing would be good there does need to be better mental health evaluation procedures in this country.

Also making guns illegal won't stop gun-attacks, remember the Paris Charlie Hebdo shooting in France? Guns aren't easy to obtain in France yet such an attack took place.

• The emotional response is to ban guns.

But the criminals will ALWAYS get guns, because they dismiss whatever the letter of the law is, to obtain them.

It's better for law-abiding citizens to be able to comfortably own guns, so they can protect themselves against the criminals.

P. S. As a black man in America, I'd be damned if I will endorse the idea of fully trusting law enforcement to protect the public!

#ProfDonForAdmin

• Fear of guns stems from inexperience with them, more often than not. I went through my hunter's safety course in my early teenage years, got my purchase permit from the Sheriff's Department, passed the FBI criminal background check at time of purchase, and keep my shotgun trigger-locked and out of sight whenever it's not in use. I enjoy shooting sporting clays competitively and shooting bowling pins with my cousins. There are basic safety rules you follow AT ALL TIMES, and if you don't respect those rules, I never take you out shooting with me again.

Disarming me won't make anybody safer, nor would it have prevented this shooting. I know that's the instinctive gut reaction we see every time something like this happens, but it changes nothing.

• I don't support banning guns, but I do think the laws need to be changed somewhat. In my state we have concealed carry. (And open carry). However, some states don't recognize our concealed carry permits because you only need to have taken hunters safety to get one. For those of you you who don't know what that is. They take 11 year olds and have them load and shoot a.22. Oh, and they tell you some stuff about making sure there's not people behind your target, etc. Then ten years later, with no other training, you can carry a gun. There have been studies that show that people without proper gun training are more likely to get themselves killed, than to stop the bad guy. That's why police officers have to qualify yearly with their side arms. So basically I think if you want to carry a gun, you should be adequately trained in how to use it. I also believe we should require background checks for gun purchases. Another fun fact, police officers can't legally ask if you are carrying a concealed weapon, without probable cause.

• Guns don't kill people. People kill people.
    You take away guns so what? People will start using knifes...

• Knifes are easier to avoid as you would have to get close and then the other guy could just knock you out.

• People kill people A LOT more efficiently with guns.

What next, nukes don't kill people?

• I think the problem should be tackled with dealing with the fucked up cunts who kill people, not the object they did the killing with...

• I'm from the UK and it's not hard to get hold of a gun if you want one. I've been held at gunpoint myself - I wish I'd had one at the time, I was lucky the gun jammed or I wouldn't be here to type this now because he tried. Gun laws only disarm law abiding citizens, criminals will always be able to get hold of them.

• In the American South, guns are big, people mostly use them for recreation purposes like deer hunting. But I understand why some are nervous about guns. Guns are deadly weapons.
    In my opinion, before buying a gun, you need to know how to use it safely and how to store it. V
    Teaching children the difference between real guns and play would be essential and if you do have kids, make sure the gun is out of reach or better yet, in a locked case where you alone have the key.

• "most people"

Well, I'm certainly not one of them.

Personally I feel very sorry for Americans who genuinely love their guns and are having their constitutional rights infringed upon. England once had such a right itself hundreds of years ago, but we've gone back on it all because a few singular cases shot up a bunch of kiddies almost two decades ago.

• I find the myopia funny.

Like, just look outside your borders at other countries that have strict regulations. Are they full of innocent people being murdered with guns? No.

Your murder rate is insane for a developed country. Granted, it is a very large countries, but school shootings hardly even make the news anymore.

Wtf?

• files.fitfashion.fi/.../51202167.jpg

Gun laws in the US need to be more strict but you can't take people's guns away.
    Just take Canadian gun laws for example they are more restrictive but people still have guns and there are a lot less shootings.

• Only idiots are anti guns.

• It is a cultural thing - Nobody has guns in their house in Ireland either

• Seems the only way banning guns would be effective is if all firearms are confiscated and no one is allowed to have a gun. Not even law enforcement. That would never happen in America but just hypothetically thinking. As long as guns are available the wrong people will be able to get than, gun laws be damned. That's been proven. This guys dad gave him this gun for his birthday? I wonder if it was properly registered? Pffft like that would matter one way or the other.

• Okay here's where that logic fail. Criminals break the law anyway and a lot of this have illegal guns already, so even if you ban guns they won't care. It's not like they're going to do the right thing and turn over all their guns. All a gun ban will do is simply take guns away from people who actually obey the law.

• Guns are engrained in the American culture, and though it is bordering on surreal to the outside world it will not change

• I find this quite the difficult subject. At home for self-defense I can clearly see the advantages but concealed carry is risky in my opinion.

• Oh, and while guns are strictly banned here, two weeks ago there was an assassination near an elementary school by multiple thugs with automatic weapon.

The Netherlands is not an utopia just because can't own guns, that's for sure.

• Hell naw man I'd feel less safe if only the government was armed...

• There should be an option C, change the laws to make it easier. For many things such as concealed carry, and ammunition it should be easier. So I could not vote A or B.

• You and Pierce Morgan should go beat each other off in a corner.

• Wow. You've just proved that you have a high IQ with that remark.

Someone like you shouldn't be allowed a pair of scissors. Nevermind a gun.

• You're the fagot that wants to ban guns, I was a officer in the U. S Army ass clown. I am very proficient with a weapon. Why don't you worry about the UK... You're shitty country can suck it English boy. I speak four languages and graduated from the University of GA. I grew up in a totalitarian communist country called Cuba ass hole. Governments by nature are corrupt and cruel. The first line of defence against such a government is a armed citizenry.

• Yes. The fact that so many domestic and school shootings happen is already plenty enough reason.

Also the whole "outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns" thing is stupid, why not legalize all drugs then?

• americans are dopey for owning guns.

• Yes yes yes. That's it. We do, no question

• More from Guys
    6