Is it safe to "lie" on a resume?

I just graduated and my dad is trying to help me with my resume. The thing is though is he is trying to make it sound like i've lead these groups and jobs but I haven't, I was just in them. I'm not a great liar, won't that backfire in an interview. What should I do? Is fabricating information safe to do depending on how you do it?

Most Helpful Girl

• You can't lie but you can exaggerate. For example I said on my resume that I'm an administrative assistant but I was really a clerical assistant. I said on my resume I was a draftsman but I was really a technological copyrighter. Use a different choice of words and you should have no issues getting a job.

What Girls Said 4

• Don't do it. You used to be able to do that before everything was so easily google able. Also if you if you say you have all this experience they're going to assume it's real. So they'll put you in things your not actually qualified or ready to do. And when your slowing things down they'll be annoyed. Just be you and do what you can do

• Don't lie.. they will find out eventually

• Sure but you must own up to it. If you say you have experience with customer service you better do a good job at that.

• It will come back to bite you

What Guys Said 7

• Grounds for instant termination. Re-wright your resume! Never lie on a resume!!!

• If they hire you for a skillset you claim to have, you will be asked to exercise it. When you inevitably get exposed as a liar, it will definitely be held against you because you've compromised the company's success and wasted the time of your bosses and coworkers.

• No, lying is never a good thing, be it on resume or on anything else. Be as honest as possible.

• Yeah, I thought so. I was looking at my Dad like are you trying to get me in trouble but he knows im not a good liar. He says that Honest Joes never win and I gotta learn how to play this corporate world

• Okay, I do get your point, although I don't agree with that but I understand so fine you can say lie 1-2 out of 10 times, but if you lie 10 out 10 times, then sooner or later people will find out, especially those who are very smart at reading you, even if you are very good at it. However if you have decided that's your mode of survival , then just be careful, because it may happen that you can get caught. The choice is yours.

• Just have your story down when you go to interview - Everybody is liberal with truth on applications

• In the real world you have to have good connections, great academic records and experience, or a creative CV that paints a very rosy interpretation of the truth.
    Try not to stay too far from the truth, but the important thing is to get a job so that you can gain legitimate experience.

• I'm think lying on a job application is a Federal offense. I'm not a law student though so check that out.

• Yeahhhh, I wouldn't lie on a resume...