Why do religious people randomly quote lines out of context from their holy books?

It's odd to me because you'd think these lines are related to each other, so you'd need to read its context and preceding and following lines in order to get what it means. Yet, people tend to quote things out of order and at random.

What's up with that?

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree. People tend to interpret the scripures themselves, but they take it out of context. The Holy Bible is in harmony from the beginning- Genesis to the end - Revelation. Scripture interprets scripture. There's also a continuos theme throughout the bible too.

A lot of Christendom's Churches twist the meaning of scriptures to fit around their beliefs, but what they forget is the scriptures before and after a particular verse they quote actually disprove their own belief and faith

Most Helpful Guy

• "Thou shalt not ask any stupid questions and just be quiet and read your bible. Criticism of the holy scripture or people who believe in it is a sin and will be punished with eternal torture." Luke 18:23
    No, I'm just joking, Luke never actually said that ;-)
    The reason why religious people do this is called cherry picking. What this means is this: there is a small minority of religious fundamentalists who are so incredibly stupid and morally corrupted that they take everything in the bible literally and don't think any of it is ethically wrong or questionable. If god says slavery is good, it's gotta be good. But most religious people are not that crazy. Most religious people are in an extremely difficult dilemma because on the one hand, they want to believe in a religion and in a holy book which are full of racism, homophobia, child abuse, violence etc., but on the other hand they also have a rational mind an a heart which tell them that this is wrong. So how do they solve this dilemma? They simply just grab the good parts of the bible (the cherries), the things they like and enjoy and pretend the rest had never been written. It's the same with christians' old testament argument. If you try to point out to them that the bible is full of violence and hatred, they usually say "well, that's just the old testament". Now, that's actually not even true because the new testament also contains very brutal stuff but even if it were true, it doesn't make sense. Obviously, the old testament is just as correct as the new one. Why would an all-powerful, all-knowing god go like "oh wait, I don't really like that old testament anymore. And I don't really like myself being an asshole anymore either. Let's become a nice person and change everything I've commanded so far."? An all-knowing god wouldn't make such a lame mistake. So obviously, he really meant it (if he existed). The god of the old testament is the exact same god as the one from the new testament. So obviously, christians can't just cherry pick the new testament and act as though the old testament had never been written.

What Girls Said 1

• they learn it and live it.

What Guys Said 6

• I really don't know, well actually I found the opposite, a few days ago, an atheist person here were claiming that he read the whole Quran in 6 days and he said in a question, "guess what I found in the Quran, KILL THEM WHEREVER YOU FIND THEM" ... So basically he took this verse out of its context claiming that it tells us muslims to kill all non-Muslims, which is completely wrong, he doesn't know what Asbab al-nuzul (circumstances of revelation) are and doesn't know the historical context behin this verse, so of course he will claim that BS.

• I know that drives me bananas

• Some Scripture needs to be read within the context of the passage, but many contain the entire message and meaning within the verses themselves.

• To give credit to what they're saying I guess.

• But that just gives it less credit, because it's completely out of context.

• I agree, everything should be seen inside a proper context, the fact is that many people just don't check it.

• Most of them have never read their holy books.

• That would be misleading

• Taking them out of context is what they do, and of course it's misleading. I guess that is why they do it, lol.

• Not fair of them its actually counter productive