Christians, would you marry someone who has a different religion or doesn't believe in God?

Christians, would you marry someone who has a different religion or doesn't believe in God? What about children?

Why/why not? How would you raise the kids?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm an atheist, and my husband is a believer. Our marriage and relationship is based on a lot more than whether or not one of us believes in god. We make it work and have an unspoken agreement to allow the other person to believe and not believe what we like and respect the fact that each of us has that belief and non-belief. We otherwise have so much of the right things in common and our sex life is fantastic. This sort of respect and willingness to just be ourselves with each other is what we know makes our marriage work. If someone of religion passes up the love of their life all because the other person isn't going to believe their god then that truly is their problem and they didn't realize the connection that god had in mind for them. :)

What Guys Said 22

• I grew up on religion and when i came to certain age , i started having thoughts, like lewis black said "that can fuck up the whole faith thing". Nonetheless, my girlfriend is Christian and im atheist/agnostic, we both agreed to respect the others views on religious topics. We agreed to let our kids decide their own faith or beliefs, either way works for me.

• If you are a christian being with someone outside the faith would not be considered a marriage. As a christian all children are baptized after birth so a choice is not an option.

I dated a woman who did not believe in God and it ended over her lack of faith which she later changed after we broke up.

• People have a very short sighted vision when they answer such questions say hell yeah it will be no problem. Marriage is not just about fulfilling some emotional connection that you got into. Marriage is a bond between two families. Marriage is about having kids and raising them well and guiding them about belief and values. If you are from two different belief systems and two different cultures there will always be an uneasiness and in the family and kids and there will always be awkward situations.

• I would have no problem with that ideally I would let kids choose their own faith when they are old enough

• Years and years ago I would have considered it but after actually being in a relationship with someone of a different faith I would say no lol, it's to complicated and when you throw kids into the mix it becomes even more of a mess.

• I'm an atheist, but I would marry a christian/muslim/buddhist/hindu/anything else. I don't think what you believe should keep people apart. If it does, then in my opinion you went too far with your religion.
    Hypothetical kids would probably be taught both sides, the scientific one and the religious one (whatever religion that may be) so it can decide for itself what it wants to believe.

• Hi I just thought to point out, religion and science are not opposites of each other. With an open mind a person might find that they compliment each other perfectly.

• Very true, they would be able to compliment each other but that also depends on how literally you take the bible for instance. You could believe that the earth was created in 6 days, but science has a completely different answer to that. So there can also be some problems there.
      But you are completely right, if you keep an open mind they are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Thanks for pointing that out :)

• This is absolutely my point of view!

• Unevenly yoked is what they call it. Not impossible to have such a relationship. But unless you have a lot of other strong mutual interests and a very strong relationship and excellent communication, its bound to be a difficult setup. I personally would look for someone with as much common ground as possible to marry. Religion, culture, upbringing, race etc. All these play a huge role in a marriage. I hope you make ther right choice. Good luck.

• As for the children. They would need some guidance from their parents on how to decern right from wrong. This will be tied to whatever value system and belief system is predominant in the house they grow up. So if you do marry someone with a different beliefe system, it would be important to agree on these values and beliefs before bringing up children. "A divided house can not stand"

• I just have to finally add, religion is probably very important, but not more important than following your heart. All differences can be overcomed by love.

• I will agree with this gentleman.

• I am NOT religious, and therefore I'd prefer to date / get in a relationship with / marry someone who is also NOT religious.

• I'm an atheist and I couldn't be in a long term relationship with a religious girl. My views on life are opposite to Christian and Muslim beliefs in too many ways for a relationship to function.

• Not a chance

• It's tough to say... It's not a complete deal breaker for me, but in honesty it's pretty important.

• No Christians, please marry within your religion. We don't want you corrupting normal, intelligent people with your god nonsense.

• Honestly highly unlikely after truly seeing the true connect through faith that only Jesus brings.

Either way I put God first before any human being.

• Nah. I'm looking for someone who shares my views.

• I'm an Atheist, and I would have no problem dating a religious person. As long as she isn't overtly religious or tries to convince our children of her religion.

If she's (passive-) aggressive about her religion, then that's a dealbreaker.

• Yes, I would marry, and children will have to make their choices, when they grow up.

• if she's anti-christianity then surely not and otherwise maybe

• Yeah. As long as it's not devil worshipping, then I'm good!

• Well it would make the devil your father in law of God id meant to be our Father so it would be better if she was a Christian and I could teach my kids about God and let them make there choice. I mean i families where both patents are Christian yet there child don't believe. Also families there only one parent is makes hard but then again some non Christian actually raise there pretty well even better than Christian. So personal i hope marry dome one who is a Christian but if i met who isn't a Christian it doesn't mean i won't give it a shot :)

• no. i dont believe it can work. i dont believe a woman that is cut off the grace of God can be a good mother and wife for our family. no, i dont want a secular person in my life. our mutual love for Christ should be our no 1 connection.

• Even when I was Christian (I am agnostic now) someone having a different belief didn't deter me. As for children, I am never having any.

• My cousin actually became Christian (from Judaism) just to marry his wife. He never liked being Jewish though, supposedly, and never took it seriously, like I take it (I'm jewish as well). So, he went through the whole process of "christening himself" and then got married to his Christian wife. Pitiful, in my opinion

• and yet religion is supposed to be about love and tolerance... pfff

• It's not tolerance on her part. She essentially made him convert. Yes he didn't like being a Jew as I said, but, still to marry a girl who basically forced him to convert, Yikes

• in that case, my apologies. I misunderstood your comment completely :-)

What Girls Said 11

• I would be okay with someone of a different religion. My boyfriend is pagan and I'm Lutheran XD But I wouldn't marry an atheist. I dated one in the past and he was super disparaging and difficult. As long as both people are supportive and considerate of one another it works out well :)

• Yeah, some people are like that

• Well, it's actually not a choice for me to make cuz (I'm Muslim btw) my religion says that we can't marry someone of different religion unless they convert. And when you think about it, if a religious person marries an atheist then I'm sure the religious one would want their kids to be christian/muslim/jewish or whatever. And it's a pretty complicated life. What about the celebrations? Christmas, Easter , etc.. these are pretty important and unless the person didn't care much about these celebrations and the religious 'traditions' then I don't see how such a marriage would workout with everybody being happy and minding their own business y'know?

• I 'd like to get married in the church, so that God could bless our union. But if he's not a christian, we can't get married in a church, because it would mean nothing to him. I 'd be able to respect that the other person has a different religious identity, but when our perception of the world is so much different, it would be inevitable to fight from time to time. Then, it would be confusing when we 'd raise our kids. Each parent wants the best for his kid, so of course each would want to teach the kid his/her own religion. But kids can't have 2 different identities shoved on them. So, I should teach the one to be a christian, and the father could teach the other kid in his religion. Though, while christians believe in being a christian willingly, other religions are more absolute, like islam, where you just can't allow your kids to believe in another religion or just abandon your own faith. So, if it happens that you love someone from another religion, it's not impossible to get married, but not advisable, because it will be difficult for you in daily life and raising your kids. You'd both have to be very open and willing to understand the other person's perceptions and culture, to make compromises and being able to conversate calmly about problems.

• Lol. Getting married in a church should me nothing to everybody, religion has no bearing on it. Do you know the history of marriage? It was around long before Christianity was even an idea.

• @BangBadBxtches I know, marriage exists in all cultures and eras, either as a religious or as a legal event. I specifically want a christian marriage, but to a non christian it wouldn't be important.

• Yes, sweetie, I did... I had married a man out in Egypt who was a Muslim.
    However, I never changed my own religion or Stopped loving God. I always respect Anyone's religion and if He hadn't Respected mine... I would never have tied the knot at the Ministry of Justice.
    As far as children, he knew I didn't want any so with That... Unconditional love along with my other song. xx

• nah i wouldn't. too complicated.

• If the guy belongs to a religion which believes in something far too different from what I believe in I won't. I wouldn't also want to marry someone who doesn't believe in God because I do and if we have different views I think it would have a great effect on our relationship and also to our future children. I wouldn't want my kids to grow up and be confused whether where/which church they would attend to or if they would even believe in God since there are two different people influencing them.

• I'm not sure. I think things would be tricky trying to raise kids with 2 different religions or lack of belief on one end. I grew up in a 2 religion household so I know first hand. I wouldn't say it was an automatic deal-breaker tho.

• as long as we don't convert one another

• No it's against Christianity

• Yes, I would. I just don't think it matters. And I don't want to have kids so yeah..

• I guess if I loved him that would be secondary.