Which languages sound rough or aggressive to u?

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally, I don't like Russian a lot but it's not really because it's rough.
    Being Swiss, I'm glad nobody said Swiss haha :-). Probably nobody knows what it sounds like except from the German guy. But since I am as Swiss person also native at German, I am a little sad that so many people find German a rough language. Since I study linguistics, I agree partially but I also have to say that it has a lot to do with whether you are a native German or not. German is actually a very, very beautiful language, linguistically speaking. And no, this has nothing to do with patriotism ;-). I've just talked about this with my girlfriend who is learning German as a foreigner yesterday. To people who don't know German, it may just sound ugly. But the better you get at German, the more you can see its charm. There's a reason why so many thinkers and philosophers have been German in the past centuries. German is absolutely excellent language to think and to express your thoughts, much more so than English for example. German is an exceptionally exact language. One example for this are the "trennbare Verben", the splittable verbs. In German, many verbs can have a large variety of prefixes. This way, e. g. the root verb "halten" means something very different than "behalten", which again means something very different than "erhalten" or "zuhalten" or "verhalten" or "enthalten" or "aufhalten" or "anhalten" or "durchhalten" or "mithalten" or "vorhalten" or "vorenthalten" etc. (there's probably more but these are the ones I can think of at the moment). In English , you'd have to use a different word for each of these meanings and yet, you'd never come as close as German does. A further "beauty" of German is that because it is so archaic (which is also why people think it sounds rough), it's an extremely straight forward language. When you dissect words in German, you notice that the meaning and the form are the same thing. Example: "enttäuschen" (disappoint). "täuschen" means to believe something wrongly or deceive somebody. The prefix "ent" means that something is being stopped. So "enttäuschen" is the end of believing something nice. You wrongly believe that your partner is faithful but then you learn that she cheated on you. The "Täuschung" (wrong belief) is gone, so you are "ent-täuscht" (disappointed). This kind of beautiful word plays only work in German. In English , form and meaning are usually different (especially for Latinate words).

• Thanks for your detailed informative answer ^^

What Guys Said 27

• To me, German sounds like someone coughing up a hairball😂😹

I notice Koreans yell a lot too, which gives off an aggressive vibe.

There are probably others I'm forgetting, but those are the initial ones I think of.

• As a german I am not sure if I should be flattered or offended for being said my language sounds rough and aggressive. Haha

Honestly though. I can definitely see how it sounds harsh. Butterfly for example means in german "Schmetterling". Schmetter comes from "schmettern" and translates to dashing. A butterfly in german is literally a "dashling" due to "dashing" the air while flying.

Anyway, as a general gist positive words are more soft-spoken in german. Also we have quite a lot of poetic words. I wrote something about it a while ago, so here are a few examples:

Wunderschön
    - Wunder = Miracle
    - Schön = Beautiful
    -> Translating to miraculously (or magically) beautiful.
    Example: Du bist wunderschön. / You are miraculously beautiful.

Vorfreude
    - Vor = Before / Previous-
    - Freude = Joy
    Definition: The word “Vorfreude” describes the joy one feels in anticipation of something joyful to happen. Unlike anticipation, the word “Vorfreude” only associates to positive upcoming experiences.
    An example of the feeling of “Vorfreude” would be as a child being happy short before ones birthday/christmas in anticipation of knowing one would get pleasant gifts.

Augenblick
    - Augen = Eyes
    - Blick = Gaze
    Definition: It describes seeing that one split-second or the instant you see of pure beauty of something oustanding or special. It’s that one special moment - that special “Augenblick”. It is just one look, one gaze with the eyes.

Geborgenheit
    - The noun form of the word “geborgen”
    - This word simply does not translate into English and several other languages. Only dutch and a few African languages have a similar word.
    Definition: Geborgenheit is the feeling and state of complete safety and sense of well-being. It’s a mix of well-being, trust, acceptance, contentment, protection, security and love - often related to another loved person. It’s the feeling of being in your mothers arms as a child while just letting go and feeling at home independent of where you are.

Staubfänger
    - Staub = Dust
    - Fänger = Catcher
    Definition: It is an object, often used for decoration purposes and otherwise useless, which only serves to catch the floating dust around.

Zweisamkeit
    - Zwei = Two
    Definition: The word relates to “Einsamkeit” (Eins = One) which translates into loneliness. “Zweisamkeit“ is the opposite. It is being together with the very special loved one and only them. It is the feeling of you and him/her being in a bubble of only the two of you and nothing and no one else.

• Sehnsucht
      - Sehnen = Longing, Yearning, Craving
      - Sucht = Addiction
      Translates to a certain form of heavy longing, yearning and craving - a type of intensely missing something/someone.
      Definition: It is difficult to translate as it is a very specific form of longing for something/someone. It comes from a deep emotional state you have for whatever you are longing for. It’s the realisation of the unfinished and imperfect aspects of this life and this world with the longing for a better, an ideal, a perfect alternative. Often it is a mix of negative as well as positive emotions - a sense of desperation coupled with a sense of hope. It’s the longing for a peaceful world, the craving to be again with your significiant other (even if you haven’t met that one yet) and so on.
      Fun Fact: It’s a word which is sometimes used in the realms of psychology internationally for a lack of alternative words describing this phenomena.

• Learning*

• You are welcome. Make no mistake though. While german vocabulary isn't as difficult, the grammar is pure hell.

Mark Twain actually really liked german and wrote something about it called "Awful Broschuere". It's hilarious if you know some german basics.
      usa.usembassy.de/.../...n%20Awful%20Broschuere.pdf

• Lots of people will say German (like they call hospitals "krankenhouse" xD. But personally I like German
    But, I'm going to say Arabic, from all the shitty videos and evil shit I've watched from Iraq/Afghanistan, has just given an evil undertone to the language to me :)

• 3|2
  • German. Only German.

• German to be honest. Especially southern dialects. ( they also sound very dumb)
    Some people sound aggressive without noticing it. I don't.

• (On the other hand, it's good to know German. Yelling in English doesn't sound by far as intimidating as yelling in German) I yelled at a Mexican who wouldn't stop following me around in San Diego. He ran off then !

• Nigerian because they speak it quite loud

• 1|0
  • Russian, I like Russian though, even though I think it sounds rough and aggressive.

• Definitely not Arabic. But it depends on who speaks it or how its spoken. Because a beautiful language can be made to sound aggressive by the speaker.

• Russian, German, arabic

• German, Japanese, Arabic.

• Hmm.. I love Germany, but I would say German.

• Haha everyone says German and I have to agree (I'm German btw) I think I will have to talk English with my future girlfriend😂

• German is... excusati... too brutal for singing.

• I don't get why so many people say Russian I personally speak it.
    I'd say German, Dutch and the Scandinavian languages.

• German& Russian

• German and Dutch.

• French and Russian

• Almost all of them

• Arabic, korean, japanese and german

• I guess Chinese and Japnese, But I don't mind !

• German sounds somewhat loud and agressive. Dutch sounds a bit like german but it's not as harsh.

• Russian after that German

• Dutch and German sound disgusting. WOAT languages.

• Well I speak Dutch and it's in no way a beautiful language, but it's definitely better than German. German sounds terrible. Dutch is less aggressive.

• Still guttural though. I would say they're tied for worst in my book.

• Kurdish Arabic Greek Armenian Spanish Russian

• dutch is ugly.

What Girls Said 22

• german, russian, chinese and sometimes arabic, altho arabic can sound ridiculously sexy, like oh my gosh haha.
    kinda biased but i gotta defend it. :P

• Are you muslim/arabic?

• eek! @yazanaa

• I'm from Palestine.

• Russian for sure. I hear Russian here in Latvia all the time, I study it too, and I think it's super harsh and aggressive, don't like it.

• German and Russian for sure here, dear. xx

• Asian languages sound rough to me. not Asian porn obviously but when real people who are not trying to sound like submissive sex slaves, actually speak.

• i think its bc you have to emphasize things dramatically as meaning is dependent upon inflection moire so than combination of sounds as many words are the same but meaning is altered by inflection. and its not even 'rough' but its intense in a very different way.. not bad.

• German. Russian. The general language that is spoken in Africa and starts with an S yet I'm too lazy to look up.

• Russian and Chinese.

• Klingon sounds like someone clearing their throat.

• German, Dutch, and Arabic

But I will say arabic at least has some redeeming qualities when it's sung in a non-religious manner. Can't say the same for the other two.

• Spanish, Arabic and Some chinese accents *particular countries*

• Japanese does.

• Hebrew and German ❤

• Some German dialects and kurdish 😁

• German.. I dont know why.

• German sounds aggressive

• German, Turkish and for some reason Russian.

• German, Cantonese and Korean sound aggressive and rough but i like the sound and pronunciation lol

• Russian and Polish too

• Russian. And German.

• Arabic and Russian

• Russian :D

• I speak German, and yeah people are terrified of me either because of that or my height (i'm 6"2)..

• German (filler).