Is it offensive to refer to black people as coloured?

I've always been brought up to believe its wrong to refer to black people as "coloured". Although I don't believe it's as bad as over racist terms. I still cringe when I hear people say it. I do know people who don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. What do you lot think?

• Yes. I believe it's offensive
  • No, not offensive at all
  • Not offensive but not right either

Most Helpful Girl

• It isn't offensive, just dated. The only people I've ever heard refer to black people as "colored" have been really old half senile white people that don't know any better.

What Girls Said 19

• I would say yes. That's the term that was used for black people during slavery and segregation, used to discriminate against them and make them seem less than human. There's other terms now, so there's no excuse to continue using phrases that were used to persecute them.

emilylhauserinmyhead.files.wordpress.com/.../colored-entrance.jpg
    i.dailymail.co.uk/.../..._LINK_BACK_TO_SITE_ht.jpg

• In my country (South Africa) we literally have people called colored people. They're not black and they're not white. They are a mix of African heritage and European heritage and identify as colored people here. It's not offensive at all in my country.

• That shit doesn't sound right. Racists only called blacks that way back when. Its not okay. Just call black people black. Its not that complicated.

• Not to me. I like the word "mulatto" and some mixed people don't like that word. Then again, a word is a word. The only power that it has is the one you give to it... and a lot of people give power to words.

If everyone just didn't give a fuck about a lot of words, they would be a lot less effective.

• It seems as if you are suggesting that the key is to not be offended by words.

My issue is with why it's such a big deal to call someone what they want to be called. If I told you my name is David and you insist on calling me Joe schmo, I'll be of the impression that you are purposely trying to annoy or deride me in some way. Will I freak out? No, I'll just avoid you.

The sad thing is t most of the people who are faced with being called colored have a hard time avoiding it.

So why not be an adult by respecting the wishes of others when it comes to things that affect them? Why is it better to blame the person for being offended, it sounds like something a bully does.
      In my view this is a simple problem with a simple solution, but it's being drawn out because certain individuals insist on showing others who's boss.

• I have a hard time calling people by nicknames because I think it's improper. I use full names and I explain that when someone asks me to call them the nickname. Or I simply don't use their name at all.

Anyway, there are tons of people who preferred to be called different things. Some transsexuals want to be called women when they're not. Some people don't associate with being African-American instead of American... And so on. It's ridiculous to cater to everyone's small sensitivities when the issue isn't truly offensive at all--if someone is not saying it in an offensive manner, why does it matter?

If everyone stopped being offended by words which is common sense, this issue wouldn't be a problem. Like that girl who loves in SA and calls people colored
      If she came here and someone was offended by what she is used to, that's a bit silly when she had no malicious intention.

• The most commonly used word/phrase around the world to describe people who are black is black/blacks/black people. It's also the most logical word and not a silly accommodation. It is in fact the word coloured which is onerous, redundant and forced.

Black (s) is also the one which causes no/the least offense among the largest proportion of blacks so, in fact the person who uses the word colored is the one who is fastidiously catering to the needs of the extreme minority of blacks (if that minority even exists).

At the end of the day, if someone is offended they're offended, if you choose to believe their emotions are worthless they will respond negatively, if you choose, out of manners and consideration, to change how you behave (which in this case is more or less effortless) you will gain their hearts. It's called diplomacy, it unites communities and eventually nations.

N. B
      Don't get me wrong, everyone can tell when a cows being milked, this issue is not an example of such a case.

• I think it's ridiculous. Im white, so you can call me white. If you're black, then I can call you black. It's just describing a colour with the name of that damn colour. Like if a flower is red, I call it red, not "coloured"
    Black is not a bad colour, white is not a bad colour, they are just used to describe something. We need to stop being so scared about race, it's contributing to the actual racism.

• This should only be a question black people can answer.

The results are skewed with people who aren't black pipping into a conversation about connotation on a word that will never refer to them.

• To me it's the equivalent of calling someone a 'Negro'. It's just so backwards and the term should have been left in the 60's. I don't like the term PoC either.

• Everyone is colored. So I don't know why that would be better. Not everything can be so PC all the time

• It sounds offensive to me...

• Black people aren't fully 100 percent black. No matter how much they think they are because of their features. :P

The south African uses it so why should it be offensive?

• Your first paragraph is true for most African Americans

• Why would they ever admit their great great great great grand father (whip crackers) were their plantation masters or those top politicians like George Washington

• I feel like it can be very offensive because why no just refer to them as what they actually are which is African American?

• I don't like coloured or African American. sometimes I feel African American is more offensive than than coloured. depends on what the person considers offensive I guess.

• It's not offensive to me. Colored was suppose to represent all minority races in America years ago when they had "colored fountains/white fountains" for example. But personally I think people should just be called American, British, Canadian etc

• my adopted brother is african-american and he said he prefers to be called african-american

• I don't think it's offensive to me but other people have different opinions :/

• It's not offensive to me that's just an obsolete term that meant black.

• It's not racist at all although "coloured" is an umbrella term for anyone who isn't white.

• I wouldn't say so, but apparently that's offensive somehow. Everything is becoming offensive, it's annoying.

You can't say half cast, paki, coloured, siamese any more. There are other words for disabled people (is that allowed?) that have been used for years but now are deemed offensive. We're soon going to be unable to describe these people for recognition purposes because every word is offensive to them.

I wouldn't care if someone called me white, uncoloured, pink or even cracker. I just don't care. The world has become way too sensitive. Using the term "Merry Christmas" where I live was almost banned in some places and primary schools because Muslims said it was offensive to their religion, despite this being a Christian country and holiday and using the term for centuries.

I say, say what you want (apart from the obvious offensive racial insults) and if someone takes offence, they can speak up and you can apologise.

• I don't care what you call me

What Guys Said 22

• Put it this way: My grandfather would say that. He's long gone, but if he were alive today, he'd be 100 years old.

• Its not offensive, it just a very backwards and confusing term, because anybody can be considered "colored", not just black people. By saying color, you're essentially talking about anybody with a hue to them; so black people, yellow people, brown people, white people with a tan or white people with a sunburn could all be classified as "colored".

I don't think black people will be offended, but more so puzzled at why you choose to use that term instead of just saying "black".

• The real coloured people are whites because whites when their born they are pink, when you grew up they become white white, when their sick they become green, when they go out in the sun they turn red, when they are cold they turn blue, and when they die they'll turn purple. And you have the nerve to call me colored?

Get a life.

• Let's call whites 'pale paces' from now on.

www.quickmeme.com/.../...7392c34fa1b097df73a56.jpg

• It changes so often - I think current term is black but colored is associated with Jim Crow laws and colored bathrooms so will probably never be fashionable again

• No.. at least to me I say "people of color" too when talking about minorities
    I don't know what the politically correct terms are nowadays but its whatever. "Black" isn't offensive too me either but some people think it is. Noting wrong with African-American but I rather be called black *shrug*

• It is in the same real as the word negro. It's an outdated term that can definitely offend, so I say leave it be and don't use it.

• actually callin them colored's considered more politically correct... yet stupid in my opinion. actually whites r more colorful... there was a joke round bout it LOL

• True lol White people get red, purple, green, all at the same time XD

• @whatthehellamy nope really... my face goes yellow-green after shavin... and i don't mean like grass-green of course :p

• Yeah, I'm sure that's true, I've seen white people getting many colors in few minutes, a friend of mine used to get all pink when she ran.

• It's offensive.

• Not to me it isn't.

• @RationalLioness Crap, I forgot to tag you

• I should've added that I'm sure the people saying it aren't intending to be offensive.

• I'd rather just say "dark skinned". Well, unless you're in Hungary, there just call them "black" because otherwise they'd assume you are talking about a whole different set of minority.

• I'm mixed race and I don't see how it's offensive at all. It's certainly better than referring to someone as 'black' even though they're actually a shade of brown. I mean I've seen certain African people who are legit dark BLACK, but most people aren't like that.

• If you referred to me as yellow I wouldn't get offended.

• Only if you want to be an over-sensitive baby. And please, "colored" is not restricted to black people. It's anyone with skin tone.

• So you're racist against albinos? ;O (Take care to note that I was joking). :)

• You're obviously living under a rock if you really have this mindset.

"Coloured person" has been considered offensive for over 50 years. This is not a 4=5 situation. Also I don't live in the US so I've never heard this phrased used outside of oppressive situations depicted on tv shows about the precivil rights movement era in the US so, you really don't have to worry about my feelings, this is not a phrase used anywhere else.

You're obviously the insecure one, as you very clearly have chip on your shoulder, "We're not obligated to change to accommodate them", you are not in any big group, do you actually think the vast majority of other whites share the same concern as you? The term black has been preferred over coloured for decades. Anyone who says "colored man, colored woman, colored boy" is automatically looked upon as some backwards blast from the very racist past. If you want to remain delusional then go ahead, I've tried to guide you into the present day but, it's not worth it.

• Living under a rock. More like you're still living in the 1950s. And even then "colored person" wasn't particularly offensive. It was about the same as calling someone black. The fact that most people looked down on blacks was a completely separate issue. We're becoming the most overly PC, cry baby society in the world.

• No lol, I call em black or colored they never seem to mind and I see them on a daily basis so.

• Did you ever ask? You aren't old, if you're referring to people of our generation as "colored" I guarantee many resent you.
      As a person who is part black, I 100% would not like for you or anyone to call me or anyone in my family colored. Stay on the safe side and just say black.

• Where do you live?
      And thank you for being open to what other people have to say.

• @vishna Hutchinson Kansas and no problem.

• It's not offensive, but it does betray their inner racist.

• No, it doesn't! Ah! The amount of irrationality here. A racist believes in prejudiced beliefs and usually believes that a race is inferior/superior.

HOW does saying that word display that person's innermost thoughts? It DOESN'T when there are other reasons why people might say the word colored.

• That an idiotic thought... that anyone using the word is a little racist. No duh it can be passive/subliminal but the subconscious actions portrayed by people show them. A word that is used regularly in another country does not mean that is part of it.

• What I was saying is that the word's redundance is evident in the fact that other countries can identify blacks, whites and other outwardly apparent ethnic groups without the use of the word "coloured".

The word is useless and takes more effort to use then the word "black" with less clarity as the reward (yes very logical). It was also brought about during an era of extreme racism.

Why go through the effort of specially separating whites from every other ethnicity only to then neglect doing so for other ethnic groups, lol?

Now do you see the racial undertone that the opinion owner was referring to? Don't let the "stop being oversensitive" line dull your shrewdness, the word is racist by design.

• I'm brown and I have no problem being called brown. :)

• I would be offended. Don't lump me in with those brownies!

• Black even has less syllabuls, not sure why anyone would opt to use coloured.

• Call me whatever you want, my dick is still in your women.

• That's the sort of thing a virgin would say. LMAO

• When in reality, what you said is EXACTLY what a virgin would be thinking about and say.

• Not really... black isn't even a colour :/ white is though so if anything they should be called coloured. I don't dind it offensive though

• Black people will find a thousand ways to be offended because they know the current environment coddles their victim mentality. Don't worry about it.