Thoughts on the movie Ex Machina?

Most Helpful Guy

• It was a really good movie. Not a great one, but a really good one. It's scary because it's so believable. In the near future there could be robots who look exactly like humans walking among us and with all this libertarian bullshit we have to remember that a machine is just a machine. It's not human.

There are some parts of the movie in which I'm like "Really? Come on." Like for instance I think Caleb

*SPOILERS* *SPOILERS*

(Or mini spoilers anyway) should have known. Nathan I can understand that maybe he was caught in his own ignorance and didn't make some kind of safety switch that would kill Ava, but Caleb shouldn't have been so naive. Though it is believable considering how he doesn't have a family, no girlfriend, he's a computer programmer (sorry that's a stereotype. I'm being judgmental), and I assume practically has no social life. Still a machine is always just a machine. In any case good movie. I'd give it a 8 out of 10.

• Yes, I think you're right. But he was so fascinated by her, love makes blind I guess :D. But also, Ava succeeded the Tuning test. The whole point of bringing Caleb to the house was to convince him she had a consciousness. And the only goal robots have (here) is to escape, she used him to escape.

• Yeah I know Ava used him to escape and that was Nathan's point as well. He wanted Ava to try to escape without Caleb being aware that he's in the little "game" as well. My problem is why didn't Nathan have some kind of safety switch that would kill Ava once stuff got out of hand. I don't think Nathan would have thought that she'd actually be able to kill him and go off into the world. Especially given that he had all those other robots still there, such as the Asian looking one. Things didn't go as planned and for a intelligent CEO of a internet company who can build artificial life it's strange he didn't have a button that would instantly kill Ava. Though again given how arrogant he appeared to be it's more believable to me than Caleb being completely fooled. He should have known that Nathan knew about the black outs.

• I mean here's a man who's practically Bill Gates yet he can't keep the power on? Then he made up a bogus story about how he killed off the guys who put the power in? Plus if the guys who set up the power system are a part of a company couldn't he have had that company fix it? Plus those guys he said he killed off can't be the only guys who know how to set up a large power system. Caleb should have known that that was bogus and that Nathan is lying.

What Guys Said 7

• A little strange I'm sure I have dated girls like that before though. Very robotic.

• It was a good movie

• It was interesting but not that entertaining

• good movie. he knew what the robot would do but he underestimated what the human would do.

• not enough boobies

• One word boring

• Confusing because I had to remember that she was a human pretending to be a robot that looks human. I don't know...

• She was not human, she was a robot. My take on it was that the whole point of it was the Turing test, which is convincing a human she's real. The test succeeded. She only used Caleb - the protagonist - to escape.

• No the actress is human.

• Oh I thought you meant the character, Ava.

What Girls Said 1

• Total trash movie. 4/10