Do you think life would've been better for us black Americans if we stayed in Africa?

Or if after the Civil War they shipped us back? I feel like since we would be around more people that are very similar to us then there wouldn't be a big racism problem. We could've made our own inventions, had our own holidays, etc... It could've been just us.

Most Helpful Girl

• I do. Do you see what's happening in America? They will do anything to dehumanize you. I've heard about the Walter Scott and the Charleston Shooting and it enraged me! There are killings here too, but it hardly has to do with racism. No matter where you are from, you are still our people and when you are conflicted so are we.

• The guy could've been disposed of if we allowed guns in church.

• That is true, but I knowing a lot of Christians. I would think they would find bringing a violent weapon into God's home is a bit disrespectful.

• Yay, no racism!!! Woohooo!! But hey, maybe you ran into Boko Haram and they take you, but at least there's no racism right? :D

What Guys Said 26

• Yet other countries seem to be functioning just fine. If this is the case then it cannot be due to racism, it must be something else, like culture. You see we as a society here in america are hesitant to call out the black community for its behaviour. When a black kid shoots another one we blame the white community. When a black kid messes with the police, we say it was the white police officers fault. Meanwhile we have a black president. The most popular and mainstream music is rap predominantly black, same with fashion. Black fashion leaked into the mainstream. So how can we sit here and say racisim. We have laws that benefit the black community, companies have to hire blacks, but not white. Schools actually have quotas to fill ensureing a certain percentage of there schools are black, no such quota exist for whites. The problem isn't racism (technicly there is no such thing as race) Its society refuses to hold the black community responsible, and the black community doesn't want to be responsible. Its black kids who are dying by black kids, its those parents who then say how there violent child was a "good boy". Every group had there rough patch, the italians had it bad thanks to the mafia, so they as a community began cracking down on any and all bad behavior because they knew that it would reflect poorley on the community. The irish were barred form many jobs and places, irish need not apply adorned many wanted signs which is why places like chicago had such a large population of them, because they could only get work as police officers or railroad workers. Yet each group managed to elevate themselves, and they did it by shaming and diciplining any one in there group who made them look bad, they did by working to gether. If one had a shop he would hire people from his neighborhood to work it, he would bring the community money and insure the money stayed within the community. That isn't happening in the black community. It use to, but it began to fall apart around the 60's, due to many factors like the rise of gangs, the instateing of no fault divorce, and feminisim that incouraged it. This destroyed the family unit the most basic unit needed for a community. If you wish for things to change, then start there. Don't pity yourselves, figure out how you not someone else can make it better. Its your life and your choice, create a solid family, create a solid community and everything else will follow. Or blame others and change nothing. Your Choice.

• hmmm i don't think so... after all not all Americans r racists. just ignore those dumb people who make comments on yer skin color

• At least you have a roof to sleep under, you have food, you have rights, you have many options to have fun, you have a health system...
    You talk like if racism is a big issue, when in reality it is made more than what it is. Yes, there's still racism going on, but not as much as you think, especially not in America. Go to Europe to see what racism is.
    Racism is still a sensitive topic, but nowadays everything is seen as racist even when it has nothing to do with race. It's getting out of hands.

• I don't think so, otherwise there wouldn't be millions and millions of Africans who would kill to leave Africa and come to America

• Hardly! Millions of Africans are enslaved by their own people today. Otherwise, they suffer from desperate poverty, disease, limited freedoms, and opportunity. Here, today, they have every opportunity in the world at their finger tips. And a whole lot of special help along the way because of their race. There is simply no comparison.

• Ehhhh, I don't know about that, Blacks aren't the only people in africa you know?
    Just be grateful you are here in the USA where they provide people with safety, food, clean water and shelter
    oh and not to forget education

• Where would the African-Americans go? It's not like they knew where they came from, or who they're family was. They wouldn't know the language or anything. You can't just shove a bunch of people on a boat and expect them to know what to do.

• The closest you can get to this is the nation of Liberia on the west coast of Africa. It was founded as a colony of former slaves. Just research the history of Liberia, and what life has been like there. You will get your answer.

• Take a look at Liberia and Sierra Leone (where former slaves were sent by the Americans and British respectively, after slavery was abolished). I know where I'd rather be...

• Sure. Enjoy your life without any basic needs like sewers, etc. /sarcasm

Honestly - if you can't see how well we have it in the western countries, then you are not worth of having its wealth. Learn to be grateful for what you have.

• It is up to an individual where they want to stay.

• I might have been better for this rest of us. Your lot have been slaves what 150 years ago? Through the history every one has been slaves. Even today who are actually free except for the few who are independently wealthy we all have to work till we are too old to work. My life has not been easy only I have no one to blame.
    I have met black Africans and the difference is that they don't have a chip on their shoulders.
    Perhaps you should be happy with who you are and make the best of things.

• There's racism and segregation in Africa as well. A lot of the conflicts that are happening in over half the countries on that continent are because of segregation.

• Have you seen Africa as of late? Take a wild guess.

• Considering that genocide and slavery is remarkably common in Africa, probably not. You can look up videos on youtube of Africans eating the organs of their enemies, search "Liberia Cannibal Wars".

• I don't know. I would hate to think Africa is better, since it has diseases and heat problems there. Not all people, black or white, are racists.

• It use to be before they came over and took over Africa. They did the same thing with Iraq taking there oil. So history repeats itself when it comes to them taking.

• Look how most black people live in Africa. The answer is clearly 'no'.

• yep, and you got sent over because of wars...

humans are the same everywhere, there's always strife.

• If there hadn't been so much racist propaganda published about Africans in the south we wouldn't have such a racist culture, especially down south.

• they actually did make a colony in africa for the freedmen. That's why liberia is a country.

• anyway, unless there is a sudden boom in everything in africa and it suddenly becomes as advanced as the US, no you would probably not have a good time over there. (i wouldn't mind sending the rioters over there though)

• Maybe, maybe not. But, didn't we ALL come from Africa?

• You don't have to worry about being kidnapped on the way home from school and decapitated by a witch doctor as a ritual sacrifice in the US.

http://dailym.ai/1GNqlaS

You don't have to worry about being rounded up by AK-wielding Boko Haram militants who shot up your school, forced to convert to Islam and sold into marriage for fifteen dollars.

Could things be better for blacks in America? Yes. But how much of your personal misery stems from navel-gazing about how bad things are, looking for reasons to see yourself as being held down by others instead of focusing on lifting yourself up? How much of the misery in the black community today is self-inflicted, such as black-on-black crime, versus how much actually comes from the outside, from people like that little chicken-shit?

• I think so, if you look at places like the hood or the projects, life isn't exactly the best for blacks now. I believe it would be better because many African slaves were free then captured but some where already slaves. Slaves in Africa were valued unlike in America.

• Um no where are you getting your information from? Slaves being valued in Africa doesn't make any sense. If they were then Africans wouldn't be selling off their own

• HA! Actually slaves were bought. Africans sold their criminals or unwanted people to Europeans as slaves. So no, they were neither free, nor treated better.

• No some were slaves but others kidnapped. Free men and women taken from their homes!

• Well if you're all going to be racist, go ahead and leave--you were freed, so you have that choice.

• Hell no. We didn't build this country for nothing to go back to Africa. Were democracy doesn't even live. American is the vest country in the world regardless of the pain it caused.

What Girls Said 14

• I think life would have been better if the white people hadn't come to you and sold you all into slavery.

• Actually it was Africans that sold Africans to cacausions. And if we are to get technical whites where the last to get into the salve trade (created primarily by middleasterners and africans) and they were the first to abolish it. I am not saying they were more moral, it was not feasable for most parts of Europe to own slaves since the enviroment was harsher and farming more difficult. Since the were only providing slightly more the subsistence farming they could not maintain any real slave economy. America abolished slavery before any one else (to my knowledge) and again this is not due to morality but because it was a political move by lincoln. There where parts of the middle east where slavery was legal all the way up to the 1970s and 1980s. This idea that one group is some how the sole source of everything bad in the world is a toxic ideology that is in fact holding every one back.

• There are countries all over the world that have racism against their own race. For example, in Dominican Republic, there is some racism present regarding the darker DR citizens.
    As a matter of fact, take us for example. I never really realized this until I saw a documentary that Oprah had on her channel. We as blacks have racism within our race. I heard of darker complexion blacks that dislike the lighter complexion blacks and VISE VERSA. As long as there are human beings on this earth, unfortunately racism will always exist. It may not be as prevalent as back in the day, but it will always be a social issue present in our times, and times to come

• Yeah but remove Africans still live in Africa an thy place still has a bunch of problems due to post colonialism. Think about us we got out civil right movement about 60 years ago (and we're still fucked up) and South Africa only got theirs about 10 years ago.

• There are problems in Africa right now like droughts, wicked soldiers and political leaders, low funding for health care.

• It wouldn't have solved racism... only separated races more.
    Plus, what would I do without my friends who are black?

• You'd be able to live without them, because you wouldn't even know they existed.

• i know, but it'd be sad not knowing these wonderful people

• I wouldn't think so. Do you support clitoris mutilation? It still happens in some parts of AFrica?

• There are plenty of successful black people in America. Racism still exists sure, but believe it or not there are plenty of racists against whites in some parts of the US, and treat them as a minority. I like diversity, and appreciate that we have black people.

• Um, no. Racism would still exist.

• Part of your concern is from the Black Community, not taking ownership in cases like the Baltimore riots.

• Africa isn't really a place I'd personally like to be.

• LOL no.
    Filler

• Can we not with these race questions.. No offense but things would be worse if we were still in Africa because diversity would be no existint and we would still be treated like slaves by our own people

• No I rather live in an area with multiple cultures and not just Africans, I wouldn't have most of my friends if I lived in Africa. Plus America has better opportunities, I rather die then be born somewhere else o. e

• No, it would have made racism worse.