Would anyone believe me when I say that as a non-white/minority person, I was treated far better in the Southern States than anywhere else in the US?

As a very dark-skinned, Mestizo Mexican guy (born in Mexico but raised in the Southwest of the US the majority of my early life), I have recently traveled to Alabama (I work in a job that involves traveling from state to state) and never was I ill-treated by the people from the state of AL because I was racially and culturally different.

When people think of any Southern States of the US, they think of Slavery, the KKKs, dumb rednecks, the Rebel/Confederate Flags (even though they don't really have much of a negative signification behind the flag as many people think). If anything, I've dealt with more racist hostilities from Californians, New Yorkers and people from Oregon than from any of the Southern States who constantly assume that I was an illegal (when my parents actually have been citizens of the US for over 15 years, therefore, getting me full American citizenship) tell me to go back to Mexico.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Actually it's not that surprising... I mean for the most part we're past slaverly and earning equal rights so with that being said I know exactly what you mean.

It's that Southern Hospitality most people are very polite, kind, say yes and no mam/sir verses many of the northern states...

• Well actually all of them some are worse than others. Especially if you live in or just visiting the city you're really going to get the worst of it in the Northern States.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm sure some people are just as some aren't. I would believe you because how can I say that your personal experience is wrong?

• It might be the 'Southern hospitality', many may hold racist views but they feel it's their job to be congenial and warm towards you.

What Guys Said 7

• I would believe it, cause people say that America is racist, when they don't even know what's going on in other places, where other places are way more racist and nothing is done about it, and when I say other places I mainly refer to Europe .
    Stereotypes.

• I could believe that - Racism is a stereotype associated with that area

• Margaret Cho says this too.

• I'd believe it. But then, people from the southwest are, generally, way more racist toward Hispanics than African-Americans. In the South, you will see much more racism towards black people.
    The Midwest is probably the cleanest when it comes to racism.

• Why wouldn't I believe you? I mean I know that racist exists but America is not a dark place you know?

• I was also pleasantly surprised the first time I visited my brother in Florida. People I spoke with were very laid back & easy to talk to.

• I clicked no, meant yes. Most people who say bad things have never spent time in the south.

• Despite the South's negative past regarding slavery and African Americans, the irony is that the Southern States have the highest African American population demographics out of the rest of the other states in the US.