Are you a feminist?

Are you a feminist?

• Yes.
  • No.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am but not an extremist, I think a lot of extremist want to be men and they don't want equality and to me when you put men on a pedestal you take away really awesome parts of being a woman and I wish more woman would realize we can be just as strong as men but in our own way and become empowered that way instead of trying to change who we are to be something else that has already been accomplished. Aspiring to be something doesn't make you strong, it makes you a follower in my eyes.

I want equality for everyone and I think for the most part in western culture we have that. I realize there are gender differences and it's impossible to make things exactly equal due to that. My current issue with our countries is with the expectations that people put on both women and men now still and I wish more people were open minded to things like that.

I really have a problem with how women are treated in other countries mostly and even how people in general are treated in those countries as well.

• What do you mean by 'they want to be men'? By the way 'extreme feminists' aren't feminists AT ALL, they're called feminazis (for a good reason).

• Yeah that dude is a retard, he keeps commenting 'blocked' on every opinion where they've said they're a feminist. And I agree that the goal of every feminist now should be to liberate women is places where it's REALLY REALLY needed, not so much in western countries anymore. But i completely disagree with what you're saying about women having some sort of innate personality differences to men. The only differences would be down to social conditioning, such as 'women are supposed to be more nurturing'. There are no real innate differences between men and women, apart from the obvious biological differences. Everything else is just a learned behaviour.

• lol yeah I saw that. I'm not sure he even read what I said because my issues were with society not equal rights in our culture at least, not sure why that would offend anyone.

I do agree with you there and just so you know I don't think all women are alike or all men are alike, I was saying if you excel at something because of your gender, even with physical differences then that's perfectly fine to me and I think some things like feelings for example are heightened by our gender, maybe i'm wrong but that's just my perception of it. I also agree that a lot of it is taught/learned behavior a lot of the time. So do you think women aren't more emotional then men are? if you raised a girl and a boy the same exact way, then do you still feel like a woman wouldn't be more emotional? just curious

What Girls Said 26

• no V_V The base of feminism feels like it's been corrupted. Clearly there are still issues that need to be taken care of on the side of women, but it seems all that's being done, or all that anyone hears about is about "Slut shaming" or public "Slut Walks"

I don't feel like that is what the feminists should be focusing on, and I'm a pretty traditional person myself so I was on edge with feminism anyway. If a woman wants to do things a man can do, fine whatever, their business, but a lot of the women who claim to be feminists, the moment you say that you PERSONALLY are not one, they flip out and give you a non stop lecture about how your opinion is wrong.

However aren't feminists fighting for equality, and to stop the oppression of women? And yet, many try to oppress the opinions of those who disagree with them. Not all of them are like this, but most that I've encountered are.

I have a bunch more points as to why I am NOT a feminist, but I feel like that is sufficient enough for a simple opinion.

• Yes, I am a feminist. No, I'm not a radical. I am a supporter of women getting to choose the right over what happens with their own bodies, the opportunity to work the careers in the fields of their choosing, the opportunity for equal pay, the right to education, and the right to feel safe anywhere they go - especially in their own homes. That is what it's all about. It's not about hating men, putting them down, being angry, becoming a lesbian, or taking power from anyone. It's about women being treated fairly when a situation has come up that leaves the woman feeling as though a right that would have normally been reserved for a man has been taken from her making her feel less of a person. Is that really so hard for the feminazis and women-haters to grasp?

• Feelings and facts are two diffrent things. Further more how can you claim to be a feminist and not hate men. By the very definition of feminisim you need to presuppose that men oppressed and mistreated women, for no other reason then they were men and they were women. It is completely contradictory, as is most of what you listed off as things women should get. 80% of all murder/mugging/assault victims are men, men are raped in equal numbers by women as women are by men according to FBI and CDC studies (more so if you count prison rape), women not only have always had equal pay (if they didn't why wouldn't companies just hire women since it would be cheaper) but in many cases earn more. 60% of all college graduates are female and rising, male drop out rate is at an all time high. Women have the right to work in any field they want and actually get incentives and quotas that push them ahead of better qualified men. Men had rights because they had equivalent privledges.

• Are you a supporter of men having equal rights to the life they create?

A supporter of men having equal opportunity to work the careers in the fields of their choosing? ie. removing "affirmative action"

equal pay has long been proven a farce.

right to education? There is more issues with men in schools than women.

The right to feel safe anywhere they go. Men are more likely to be attacked for many reasons over a female.
      - especially in their own homes.

So is it not about hating men?

Being treated fairly would mean men have parental equal rights, equal legal rights, equal punishment for crimes, equal treatment for rape victims, fair investigation of rape accusations, equal oppertunities in schools, equal access to gyms, clubs, groups, scholarships, gov programs, etc.

Is that really so hard for the feminazis and men-haters to grasp?

• No, I'm not. I think the modern wave of feminism is causing an even bigger divide between the sexes, the exact opposite of what they're supposedly trying to achieve. I know they don't like dissenting opinions but that's how I feel. I support rights for women and for men.

• One word "feminism" has caused the sexes to be at each others throats and this is so sad because i feel we have so much to offer each sex, we need each other. After the passing of my dad when i was young (about 12 years old) my mum told my elder brother to leave school because we had very little funds (came from a poor family) to go and work. He struggled to get a job locally and eventually left to work for a mining company in Africa (he was only 18). He worked long shifts and toiled many hours in the mining shafts just to make enough so that i got an education and eventually became a doctor. I never saw him for 17 years and he finally came for my graduation, it was then that i saw his hands that had been worked to the bone:'(, his lungs ready to give up. Anyway after all his years of experience he decided to open a company in Africa with a colleague so that they could supply mechanical components to various mines. Unfortunately the local government had passed a bill stating that contracts would only be given out if the company had a majority shareholding of female owners. In other words my brother who had started with nothing in this industry would have to give away 51% of his company to a female owner just to get contracts while he has 100% know how of the designs and business. While i think feminism has done so much for women and am proud of it, it has also taken away so much from OUR men, and that's why i no longer share its vision

• I am a feminist because I do not believe my gender should play any role whatsoever in my public life.

• I am which doesn't automatically make me a member of any of these radical protest groups by the way

• I most understand where people are coming from when they give this response. But its only the "radical feminists" That usually make the main stream media or get legislation passed.

I have never seen a feminist stand up and say that men should not get finically raped in family courts, that Matt Taylor's shirt was not a big deal or that its perfectly ok for men and women to flirt with each other in public so long as they back off if the object of the attention does not feel the same.

• Like I care 😂😂😂

• i dont know... i dont even get what a feminist is..

• i'm more of an egalitarian...

• I am a feminist but always use the word Equalist because it tends to bring my be received better but has the same goals? ._.'

• Nope, I just do my own thing.

• I think some feminist go to extremes to shout equality and I believe some women take advantage of that to treat men bad. Im no feminist at all

• I'm just me and don't really care about labels. I'm ok with just others calling me by my name.

• I feel like feminist is more than just wanting equality. Feminist in my opinion is the act of participating as an activist and fighting for peoples' rights. Personally I don't do that, but I do like the sound of equality just like many people

• Thank you that's what feminism is! Calling for equality between men & women. And I don't think a lot of people know what it really is.

• Name one thing they made equal.

• Lets stop using the definition and start using the actions of the group as a means of showing what it's really about.

• Yeah, I am

• Nope.
    ///

• Is the sky blue?

• no I'm not a feminist

• no I'm a Barbarist

• Feminism is wanting equality. That's it. Why do over half of the people on here NOT want equality?
    And I am shocked that so many women said no! So you want to go back to when women could not vote and had to stay home in the kitchen and serve their husbands all day?

• men got the right to vote in the 1850's, the reason was because they could and where drafted in to various civil services like bucket brigades to put out fires or the draft. If they refused they would be imprisoned. They earned the right to vote because it was viewed to be hypicritical to expect men to die for a country that did not represent them. What did women do to earn the vote? Nothing at all. Where the hell did you get the idea that women served there husbands all day? A man works all day in the fields or a 16 hour shift in a factory with no breaks (prior to worker rights movement) gives all of that money to his family so they have a roof over there heads clothes on there back and food in there bellies, not to mention that he was socially obligated to die for them if necessary, it sounds to me like he was more of a slave then a wife ever was.

• ^^ OH FORREAL? OH WOW THANKS FOR TELLING ME! I would be so lost without you!!!
      I OBVIOUSLY know that. Do YOU know how much of a struggle it was to get the right to vote? Men didn't need to do anything.
      But you are trying to bring back a discussion I left >a week ago for what?

• @CarolinaGuti you have no idea about the vote and it's struggles, If you did you would have known that Men cannot even vote or get citizenship without enrolling for the draft and Women got the vote as part of the development of the universal franchise. The Representation of the People Act in 1832 (better known as the “Great Reform Act”) instigated the process of reform. Even then, however, only about one in six adult males1 were given the vote, increasing the proportion of all voters to about 1 in 24,2 although it did nothing for the interests of working-class people, of both sexes, since voters had to possess property valued annually at £10 in order to qualify, thus excluding six out of seven men from the franchise.3 The vast majority of men were just as much the victims of this as women.
      Suffragettes were not the heroines up at the cutting edge of social change as feminists would have us believe today. They were a group of middle-class activists, widely regarded at trouble makers

• I'm an egalitarian.

• What is that¡?

• Thank you for explaining that to her, Song4TheBroken :)

• Yes because I think the sexes should be equal, and I don't think we are very equal right now

• You are right, I did point out female privledge while you claimed men were privlidged. You did not explain how this is sexism towards women. I was the one to list off what men go through as you can see by just looking at my comments now immortalized on the internet. You were the one who disregarded them and essentially claimed it was mens fault that they suffered. You then whent on to claim a whole lot of inconsequental things that have no real barring on anything bein the reason why we need feminisim. I then pointed out that everything you said did not show that feminisim is about equality but rather showed that it wasn't starting with your complete dismissal of men in all respects. There is no patriarchy, there is society. Women are not told to be quiet and you have no means of proving this since every word out of your mouth, while sexist and blatant lies, proves that women do have a voice. So do all the laws that benefit women to the detriment of men. Your sexist, you do not care

• about men, you care about yourself. If you don't believe me just go back and read everything you have said because that really is the most damning evidence of all. You are a terrible person to believe that men don't matter in society that there lives cannot even come close to being as important then even the most minor of irritants a women experiences. I don't honestly know what to say, I always believed that when faced with the truth a person would have to accept it no matter how much they disliked it, but unfortunatley you have proved otherwise. I think this conversation needs to end because you are just going to continue to hate men and trivialise there suffering for your own benefit and there is nothing I can do to stop you. So I'm pretty much done here.

• No, I'm an individual and I think for myself.

• I like how women down voted this response. Modern feminist is supposed to be about equality for women but its not uncommon for them to refer to women who don't want to take on their label as ignorant

• Very true.

• I believe in equal rights, but I don't identify as a feminist.

• That makes absolutely no sense... do you know what feminism actually is?

• @Song4TheBroken when you make a argument you should make sure that it is logicly sound and backed by facts, not insults and general hate mongering. It just much easier to convince some one that your about treating people as equals and treating everyone with respect when you actually conduct yourself in said manner. Read over that chart so that you can create a much more logical argument. I'll be waiting.

• @Opinion Owner Sorry for the mess below your comment, these things tend to be unpleasent. I have no idea if this blew up your in (alert) box or not but if it did I am sorry.

• Yes.
    But I do not support the extremists, who believe men should die or something lol.
    I just believe in equality.

• You can believe in equality without being part of a group which supports the many evils towards men that you say you do not support.

• Yeah, i am. And i am proud of about this

• You don't seem too proud when you hide your face -_-

• It's not about the face, but the fact that you hide yourself. That's not a sign of you being proud of being a feminist, if you were proud you wouldn't have gone anonymous.

• Im a proud anti-modern feminist

• Nope not at all. It's a male dominating world. I hate it when females think that they can do better when they obviously can't. Men are the power houses.

• I hope you're trolling.

• Excuse you!!! @Song4theTheBroken. And thank you@Hexxus. I agree with what you said

• I don't think women are weaker then men, it only when you compare a mans strengths to a womans weakness. Basicly we are built to perform diffrent tasks, if a woman tries to do what a man does she will be more likely to fail, inversely if a man tries to take on the strengths that women have he will also most likely fail. We are built in a way to compliment eachothers strengths and weaknesses. Thats why things seem so screwed up. Feminist felt that to be a woman was to be weak and tried to take over masculine identity but it just made things worse thats why you see them say how there strong and independent, and then immediatley play the victim to get what they want. Were are built to work together, I just wish people would see that.

What Guys Said 22

• No, because:
    1) Men and women aren't exactly the same so we'll never be equal the way feminists want us to be
    2) I don't agree with the idea that men are privileged over a women as a group, both sexes have their problems
    3) Professional feminists have been caught out time and time again lying and non-professional feminists are still stupid enough to believe their bullshit
    4) They have no identity outside of being victims, the opposite of strong and independent, and as a result they don't help women rather they hold them back
    5) They're massive hypocrites, they only want equality where it benefits women, they claim one minute to care about equality for all but then when asked what they've done for men they say it's a women's movement, and then they violently protest when men's groups try to tackle men's issues
    6) There's no place for men in feminism besides being silent obedient supporters of women's empowerment I'm neither of the first two
    7) It causes more friction between men and women than it does co-operation, they have an us vs. them mentality

• succinctly put. I particularly like points 1 and 7, followed by all the rest. It gets tiring trying to explain this to people so I am glad someone else is hear to do it as well.

• @hellionthesage - it does get tiring, which is why I don't debate feminists anymore. I'm just waiting for one of them to comment telling. me that I don't understand feminism and that I should read the dictionary definition, and that "not all feminists are like that".

• If you are talking about traditional feminism that was about social and political equality of women then yes, I firmly stand behind that.

If you are talking about modern mainstream feminism them not a chance in HELL.
    Its not about equality and I believe its core missions hurt both men and women by making them inherently mistrusting of each other.

Modern feminism is supporting of the sexual liberation of women but attempts to vilify male sexuality by accusing men who state their sexual/Romanic interest in women of harassment.

They have been pushing for state funded colleges to NOT require proof if a girl accuses a guy of rape, they believe we should take her at her word... to hell with due process.

Then they clear hypocrisy: Feminist has long stated that if a sober person has sex with an intoxicated person then the sober person as committed rape because the drunk person can not consent.

Until of course known feminist Amy Schumer talked about how in college she was stone cold sober and had sex with a guy who was in her own words "Too drunk to focus". When that story came out many feminist stated that he most likely raped her, clearly twisting their original message in order to make the girl the victim and the male their attacker.

Then there is the fact that there are currently real world atrocities happening to women in the middle east... being consider property, not allowed to drive etc etc and while main stream feminism may bring that up from time to time their current prime focus seems to be on things like...

Matt Taylor's shirt, Rebecca Watsons rant on how she was objectified by being asked to join someone for a cup of coffee or the outrage in '10 hours walking in new york' where they were surprised to learn that members of the opposite sex seem to take interest in each other.

When there are real world equally issues going on yet main stream feminism seems to focus on these petty things the curious mind begs he question "Is main stream feminism more concerned about equality or just pumping out stories to profit on a fabricated victimhood.

Is that what they want? A world where men are afraid to flirt with women lest they be labeled creep? A world where women are afraid to be intimate with men because most men are misogynic pigs? A world where men entirely opt out of marriage because of the ways family court almost always favors women and leave men finically and emotionally bankrupt after devoice?

• Actually traditional feminist were not really any better. Have you ever asked why women couldn't vote? It suggests that it must have been men oppressing women, except when you look at the history most women didn't want to vote, and why? Because you had to sign up for the draft to do so and women didn't want to have to be forced to fight and die for there country just to vote. Same goes for most every issue traditional feminist opposed, they mention how they suffered, but not how men did thus implying that there suffering was greater and at the hands of men.

• Fucking hell, none of these idiots seem to know what feminism actually is! Feminism is nothing more (or less) than complete equality of the sexes, that's it. An 'extreme feminist' would actually be a good thing, as it means they want nothing less than perfect equality. What people are negatively referring to is actually (colloquially) known as a feminazi, these 'feminazis' aren't even close to being feminists and should stop referring to them selves as such because they very clearly aren't. And by the way, yes I am absolutely a feminist. But i think it needs a new name because the current term seems to imply female superiority.

• THANK YOU!!!

• @hellionthesage Well if someone is trying to instate something that benefits women but effects men negatively, then they aren't a feminist. I don't care if they call their self a feminist, they just AREN'T, it really is that simple. People like to throw around the word feminist these days and apply it to people who aren't even close to being feminists.

• The National Organization for Women (feminist advocacy group) actively barred fathers rights to children. They opposed equal custody of children and actively fought against fathers rights activist and (Relatively successfully) insured that mothers would be seen as primary care givers and thus gain full or near full custody regardless of the mothers or fathers capabilities. They also advocate for womens rights to abortion, the irony being they also advocate for men to pay child support. It seems to me that the actions of feminist do infact show that they are not interested in equality. I'm mean unless your going to tell me the biggest names in second and third wave feminism as well as the instutions they established are not actually feminist.

• No. I support equality, 100%, but I'm not a feminist.

• If you support equality then you are a feminist...

• @CarolinaGuti femin (female) ism (ideology) means female ideology or specificly a female centric ideology by its literal definition. Calling blue red doesn't make it red, it makes you wrong. It has never at anypoint in time benefited any one other then women so not only is it by literal definition for women only, it is only for women by its actions as well. If you can prove me wrong by pointing out where at any point in time it has benefited men, pariticularly in a legal fashion or in a provable fashion, then do so. However repeating false information does not provide for a good argument.

• @CarolinaGuti Also yes men have in fact had to fight for there rights. They had to fight for there right to vote, see before 1850's only wealthy land owners (male and female) had the right to vote (there was actually a small rebellion in rhode island about this), yet men stood up and fought for the right to vote, they decided that if they where legaly forced to join bucket brigades and put out fires and save people (putting there life on the line) or help police officers detain suspects or be drafted to fight and die in a war against there will (legaly enforced) something of which no women any where has ever had to do, then they should have a voice in there government. If you are going to start debating then please make damn sure you know what your talking about and have the knowledge and facts to back it up.

• I am, but a politically liberal one. I'm saying this because more conservative feminists are for example against prostitution and I'm a supporter of legal prostitution.
    Also, most of the feminist positions I have are also humanist positions (equal rights and things like that), so I'm mostly a feminist because I'm first and foremost a secular humanist.

• I am into equality

• I don't identify as one, but I'd certainly enjoy the erasure of gender expressions and create a world of gender neutrality, where people see each other as people, maybe even possibly as "men" and "women", rather than as "manly men" or "ladylike women". Masculinity and femininity are broken constructs that should have been erased long ago, but that can be said of all religions.

• No, I strongly support the equality between men and women but I don't feel the need to belong to a group for that, especially that this group takes it too far sometimes, I feel that those feminist people want something more than the equality.

• Nope. //////

• No. I consider myself a supporter of gender equality, and feminism is not about that.

• I'm a maninist!

• I'm neutral with feminist

• Yes I am, I am all for equality and stuff :)

• I am for equality so I can't be a feminist

• I do not like anything that had its birth in communist/Marxists dogma. I am a equalist/humanist.

• Modern feminism has its origins in the hippie movement, not marxism. And what's wrong with Marxism? Have you even read any of Marx' works or are you just spewing some political ideologies that you've been indoctrinated with?

• That's you're opinion & you're entitled to that. I will not be drawn into some pointless debate with you, feminism had its start much earlier than the "hippie movement". I am no expert in Marxism, or anything to do with communism.

• I am just to be edgy and get chicks.

• I'm an *egalitarian

• I try to be. Can't define myself on a "Yes" or "No" basis. My views are limited.

• I dont like the word feminist

• I am defined by my actions not some self-imposed titles. Call yourself whatever you want it means nothing to me. Actual actions people take are the only things that matter.

• No, no and F no.

• No, I believe in gender equality.