True or False: Piranhas occasionally eat humans as well?

Anyone here experts or knowledgeable of Piranhas? People constantly say how Piranhas don't come after humans yet I've found this incredibly disturbing Youtube video of a little boy in Peru who lost the vast majority of his skin, flesh, muscles and organs to piranhas. This video has now completely traumatized me for life.

(**WARNING, this video link is absolutely NOT for the faint of heart. This may sound silly of me to say since I've already pasted a link here but my suggestion would be to NEVER watch this video if you don't want to throw up and feel traumatized for life**)

11 year old boy devoured by piranhas in Peru

• True
  • False

Most Helpful Guy

• No piranhas have gotten their reputation unfairly. It's because of teddy roosevelt. When he was on the Amazon river they wanted to wow him so they took a bunch of piranhas and starved them almost to the point of death then they dropped a cow in with them and they attacked it furiously because they were starving and so that's what Teddy assumed was how they normally attacked prey.

What Girls Said 2

• No, I'm pretty sure that piranhas don't actually eat humans. However, there are fish that are capable of killing humans, but they're usually bigger than piranhas. Piranhas tend to work in groups in order to bring down smaller animals.

• i dont think so.

What Guys Said 3

• I think it is whatever disturbs the fish rather than a specific appetite

• It's possible, I'd say. I'd have to ask my Uncle Don or his son Brian. They're both Marine Biologists.

• It's true, people and large animals do get eaten alive fast