Are Americans as stupid as people say?

• yes
  • no
  • only in the southern and bible belt
#merica
*filler*

Most Helpful Girl

• One girl in California genuinely asked if I lived in an igloo when I told her I was from Canada, ironically we were in California to escape a heat wave back in Canada. Then another time we were in California and my dad mentioned to this man he was talking to that we were from Canada. The man told us to make sure we drive on the right side of the road... I literally had to turn around and facepalm. we are from Canada not England or Japan!!! Americans seem to think of Canada like it's some weird alien planet, how do you know THAT little about the country next to yours? I think American education is just very much centered on the U. S. and they are taught very little about other places. Their education system seems to want to keep them ignorant and focused only on the U. S. too keep them dumb and dedicated to their country only following blindly and questioning nothing, it's scary!

• Nailed it.

• You were in California so that explains a lot also a lot of us know where Canada is and how it is, just saying don't let one state, dictate what you think about all of us.

• i dont know if its so much that people are bred ignorant here, but that if you call them out on it you are judged as intolerant or persecuting them. they basically give out participation trophies to the stupid just so everyone feels included

What Girls Said 19

• Yes, Americans are uneducated compared to other nations, but the things they come up with are so funny it's almost like they're putting us on. Sad, because I know they aren't. Then when you correct them, they are so quick and full of excuses of why they said what they said as if you just caught them on a bad day. LOL

• the US literacy rate is higher than all of Europe and south korea

we are more educated than the average nation

• Yeah bob I would like to smash scarlet johansen's bzck door in

• @bob111111
      That says the uk not the entire continent

• Are you as stupid as you seem?

• Are you another fat american?

• @JCT666 Exactly, thank you!

• oh and asker from your comment here you revealed you are not American... no wonder you think americans are so dumb you're bias

do some research dude

• There are really stupid people all over the world. Just most people only focus on the stupid ones you find in america.

Which you honestly come off as a troll that is aiming towards Americans and see how many you can piss off and make them rage. That or your a person that just hates the USA and anyone who lives here.

• Also I am from the southern part of the usa. So you probably think I'm some bible loving inadequate nimrod.

• Just dont want to get shot with an assault rifle

• XD I don't own a gun nor would I ever use one. I don't have any true need to ever have one.

• Some people are. And some people aren't and the people who aren't dont make sweeping generalizations about how other people are in other countries.
    Anyway, there are ignorant and informed folks in every country. When I was in Germany and I told people I was American, sometimes I got some pretty ignorant responses.

• Most countries respond that way to American tourists.

• well it depends where you go

cities have pushy people like anywhere in the world

country people are laid back and kind anywhere you go
      if you went to a nice southern town you'd be treated well
      but also there's nothing to see in those towns so nobody goes lol

and actually a funny thing... america isn't the fattest anymore (if we ever were) Mexico is!!!

• No, we're stupider.

• I've never met people who thinks Americans are stupid. And I haven't met stupid Americans yet -__-

• Yes.
    Yes we are.

• There are idiots in every country. Sadly, they are the ones who get noticed for their stupidity. There are a lot of smart and hard working Americans. More than most foreign people think. Our education system isn't all that bad, it's usually the kids that fail due to multiple reasons. I personally go to a magnet school that teacher basic curriculum as well as engineering and design. Our Average ACT score is a 21/24. Granted, we are a select few of my district. However, it shows we are not all stupid, redneck idiots who can't comprehend anything. I go to a good district in a good area though... can't speak for the inner citis at all.

• If you seen my question; I had experience with Korean penpals. My Korean penpals think the western world acted the way they see on TV and that all western people do is give birth and have sex with everyone. one even thought that I wasn't American since they never heard of my state "Maryland". There is ignorance everywhere, trying to put the blame on one country doesn't make you any better, but I shouldn't expect much from someone who won't even show their face.

• Having been to america I know all about ignorance

• I have been to the usa so naturally im biased

• AHHHHHHH he said it!!

you all saw it!!!

• I do not believe in this.

• I dont know why people say that always
    I dont agree to that

• I dont think so :)
    I have American friends and they are nice people
    but in every place there are good and bad people even in America
    maybe i dont agree 100 % with America's government but that doesn't mean All Americans are Bad

• No dont believe what you hear

• No we aren't hah but then we got the dumb ones in our country like there are the dumb ones in other countries they breed and multiply don't judge good old "merica" on our dumbies.

• i wouldn't sy stupid... more like... limited in the head/knowledge

• Yes and no. As an American myself I have met some incredibly ignorant people, and incredibly intellectual people. I often find that the stupid people are either extremely patriotic and only focus on America, resulting in a closed mind and thus creating empty shells that do, and think whatever the government tells them. However, Americas education system is absolute s***. No other way to put it, so it's not technically their fault. There are also smart people here that are advanced in culture and intellect so I guess it all sort of depends who you meet. Hope this didn't confuse you, I noticed I have contradicted myself but it is the only way I could try to describe it.

• Some are... some are very intelligent

• No, Americans have varied levels of intelligence. But everyone is given the opportunity to get an education, rather than just a few. So across the board, test scores are lower than countries who don't educate the masses or send them on different tracks (vocational, etc).

Likewise, Americans tend to have more disposable income, so you won't only see the upper class traveling abroad, for instance.

Not to mention, America has taken in much of the "excess" population of other nations throughout history. A great many family histories start in a laboring class - true slaves, indentured servants, wage slaves of prior era's industrial mills & coal mines, newer era's factory farm workers, etc.

While the "American Dream" is overstated, there is more range of economic mobility than many other nations, so the backstory is starting in many different places as far the kinds of greater awareness of the world that others are referring to. A lot of "older" nations have a lot less economic mobility, which influenced who is being educated, employed and representing the nation.

• Yeah, pretty much.

What Guys Said 27

• Of course not, and you asking this question just proves that the stupid one here is you. Come to America an experience it yourself. Yeah, there are stupid people, but not more or less than in Canada, Spain, England, Australia, Japan, India...
    You really think a country full of stupid people would have accomplished what America has accomplished?
    It's true that the American education is centered more in their history and what happens in their country, but that doesn't mean that they're stupid. Just because you don't know some things about other countries doesn't make someone stupid.

Tell those at NASA they're stupid ;)

• Kind of yes in my opinion

• Some probably are, but I hope you are not talking about Canadians. Canadians have a much better education system, better health care and many things other things are better in Canada.

Anyways, I think Americans believe that they have the best country, and deny learning about anywhere else. Of course this isn't all citizens of the USA, there are definitely smart people there.

Many countries around the world have better education system than the USA, but they don't want to take from other peoples education system and they don't want to learn how to improve.

I find that many citizens from the USA speak English improperly. It's as if those who do not use English properly always try to shorten words so they don't have to speak a few more sounds to make the word fit properly in the sentence. But they don't know that they are saying it wrong and they would not prefer to learn the proper way of saying it. Then it think that this way of speaking is heard on television, radio and other things and is shown all over the world, and people pick up bad grammar and start to speak improperly.

But its too bad, they don't want to learn and they don't know that it's wrong

• Well, they landed on the moon so I wouldn't say they are. Intelligence is not determined by nationality.

• Did u really land on the moon?

• Come on they were filmed in a basement in hollywood

• oh god man... you are one sick puppy

i won't get into this because i actually think you are just saying this to annoy me at this point

also the world is flat and we are the center of the galaxy everyone else is wrong!
      it's not like 99.99% of people have actually seen this or something

• No we are not, and it is quite obvious by your own comments on here that you are biased, you hate America or at the very least do not like us, you have nothing useful to say and you went anonymous to hide your identity and you country. It is after all easy to do what you are doing when your hiding behind a computer screen and your identity is hidden away from us.

I will leave you with this, are there ignorant people in America of course, but that argument alone is useless, there is ignorance and stupidity wherever you go in every corner of the earth, most peoples opinions in regards to us are from people who have only spent limited time here, or get their information from how they portray us on TV or in the media.

And for such a ignorant country we did only create

The Internet
    Cellphones
    The Modern Submarine
    Machine Guns
    The First Trans-Oceanic Cable Communication
    The first Nuclear Reactor
    Electricity

To name a few.

• some are, others aren't. That can be applied to any country.

• Depends. There are quite a decent amount of smart Americans who make wonderful contributions to those around them. There are also quite a decent amount of moronic Americans who can't keep their mouths shut. It's all over the country, too. One girl I talked to from Southern California said she was genuinely shocked my city had electricity and an airport, since apparently only NY and Miami are allowed to have such luxuries here on the East Coast.

• Some are, some aren't. But I'll never forget when people ask me if I'm from China or Japan.. I'm Korean. Then they ask if I'm North or South.. Then they debate among themselves if I'm Korean or Asian XD

• Yeah dude. Look at Steve Jobs. He was the dumbest American obviously. He even dropped out of college...

• Then they must be incredibly dumb given that this country produced the technology that you are using and while it has problems is also the richest, most piwerful country in the world and the inly one to have landed on the moon along with many other big accomplishments. What shithole are you from?

• Ahhh, the asker is afraid to tell his country because he knows it can't stack up to the US.

• Europeans killing each other wasn't anything new. You complain when we are active in the world like now and you comp, ain when we are isolationists. Blame the germans for those wars. Without us though France and the UK wouldn't be what yhey are today, nor tmost of Europe or much of the world for that matter. perhaps ypu would have rather us be like Switzerland... Or have joined the axis.

• also asker the US is most defiantly a empire so you saying how "evil" we are trying to acquire power is a joke

• Only the south. In Texas they banned sexual education, which is gonna make the amount of STD cases and teen pregnancy cases skyrocket. Plus in Alabama there is a conflict of whether or not mixed race children should be legal. 'Murrica... southern pride... all that load of bullsh*t.

• I don't think that.

• You know how you hear foreigners always saying they hate Americans? Well lately you'll hear more and more Americans passionately saying they hate other Americans. I think everybody needs a trip to Canada like a grumpy person needs a nap to calm down.

• If you believe that then you're stupid

• I would hope not. But I think it's unfair to say or think that Americans in general are dumb. After all, people in other countries can be and are dumb, too. People on this planet in general are dumb.

• Stereotypes exist for a reason cause they have some truth to the and I am guessing you mean generally and in that case yes its true, but not all of them.

• As an American I say yes

• I find that Americans as individuals are quite intelligent, but put them together in a group, and their IQ halves immediately.

• lol yes, they think Canadians live in igloos and ride moose everywhere, at least in grade 5 they did lol.

• Your comment had the ironic if unintended consequence of making you look stupid instead.

• Some are intelligent.

Others are even worse than what those people think...

• yea kind of, i mean when i went to miami, we went on a trip, everyone had to sign a release form, and one of the girl said. "do we sign the Spanish side or the English side"

for real i just closed my eyes and nodded my head

• Maybe in one way and not in another.

• *sucks thumb*

• You have a point there and if the door is closed you should make sure if the door is closed maybe

• There are some really really smart ones but I've found a whole lot more stupid ones. Even the lower students in my country know things that they don't know. Deny and downvote all you want.. I'm speaking from experience. I've attended an American highschool for a whole year.

• the average intelligence of americans is still better than the average of the world

Asians are the smartest and Africans are the dumbest

by the way that isn't racist only facts

• African are actually really smart

• Well thats I have been saying americans aren't the smartest group of people

• you actually never said that once dude