Does marketing (ads, commercials, etc) annoy you?

To me the entire industry revolves around selling half-truths and downright disgusting lies. Every company is the best selling the greatest product ever and it's up to the customer to separate the truth from the bullshit. Either that or be complicit which is what most companies like best.

Of course this isn't a recent realization and I do see the beauty in the more creative marketing campaigns, but the better I get at digging up the facts the more it annoys me. What about you?

Most Helpful Guy

• Marketing is thus the foundation of society. If you think you're the shit, and project that, then other people will also think you're the shit. The same happens in our interactions with each other, in our careers and relationships. It's morally base and disgusting, now that you mention it, because it's so empty and hollow. It's not based on genuine care and interest in other people. Material things are nice, don't get me wrong. But the latest smart-phone doesn't sate anything deeply, for long.

This lack of care and concern, this 'marketing', is as I say, the foundation of society, of capitalism. By going against it, you're also putting yourself in a rather dangerous situation...

What Girls Said 4

• yeah there's a paper called 'materials awareness' about this which exposes the invisible network surrounding the process by which the things we consume r made. it's quite astounding once we realise what companies claim about products, what theyv gone through, who's been affected etc.

i wouldn't say it annoys me, but id say it disappoints me to think that something like greed can completely blind people in power and society's citizens as a result.

• Yes. I used to work in marketing in broadcast and I know how the game works. Now I can never look at ads the same way other consumers can ever again. So they do annoy me and I'm quite critical of the choice some advertisers make for their clients.

• omg yes! They are EVERY WHERE like no escaping them at all. Even when you are downloading stuff you have to answer an add just to download stuff. -_-

• Ugh yeah. I used to be in the field but I grew to hate it.

What Guys Said 3

• Drives me nuts.

• Yeah I do.. Actually the ads I hate the most is the ones by Coca~Cola. I hate it how they associate their drink with Happiness. All their ads are meant to provoke emotions. From Christmas to World Cup they are there!!!

• Yep very good point. But many candy manufacturers (cola is pretty much liquid candy imo) play on your emotions. Hey at least they're not claiming that drinking Coke gives you energy like they do here with the Mars bar.

• Yes, so much so I don't watch tv no more & stream whatever I want on pc or roku to avoid them.